Jun 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Discussion

What does Scratchbuilt really mean?

Sometimes when I'm scratchbuilding a plane, I build everything except the wing, then use a pre-manufactured wing rather than building one. It usually cheaper, easier, and less time consuming to just buy one and make if fit a fuselage. A couple of examples are a biplane that I made, but used the wings for the Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub . Flies great. Another one uses a HZ Super Cub wing with added ailerons. Again it flies very well if aerobatics are not on the menu, but that's not what I use if for.

The reason I ask this is because someone recently told me that by using a factory molded wing, the plane is not really scratch built. That's food for thought, so maybe the planes built in this fashion should be called "semi-scratchbuilt"?

I would like to hear other's opinions of what constitutes a scratchbuilt aircraft.

FF
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
"Scratchbuilt" is just a term used to create arguments. Some people will tell you it isn't scratchbuilt if you build from a plan, or if any parts are pre-fabricated (though these same people don't make their own batteries or motors or radio gear so they obviously aren't thinking too clearly ).

I reckon that provided it doesn't all come in one big box with a shiny picture on the front it's near enough to scratchbuilt that it makes no difference to anything in the real world. They're only toy planes after all .

Steve
Jun 10, 2012, 04:43 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Scratcbuilding

It's the dust created when actually building a model agains buying a model. It starts with an itch that you just have to scratch.

The more you scratch the more you itch..........and on it goes.

You have become a builder, not a buyer.

Thankfully there is no cure.
Jun 10, 2012, 05:21 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
It means you start with the raw materials and Not a kit !!!
Jun 10, 2012, 06:36 AM
Scratch built means that you scratch out the plan, then build the airframe.

Taking any of the designs on these pages, the Polaris for example, this would mean is that only Jetset44 (the original designer) has scratch built the airframe. The rest of us who used his plans have built from plans, those that bought the kits have built a kit.
Jun 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
CSP, That sure makes Good Sense !!!
Jun 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Dr John
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
Scratch built means that you scratch out the plan, then build the airframe.

Taking any of the designs on these pages, the Polaris for example, this would mean is that only Jetset44 (the original designer) has scratch built the airframe. The rest of us who used his plans have built from plans, those that bought the kits have built a kit.
I would add that useing kit parts in other than their original intended use is "kit bashing". All of these methods are an acceptable means to the end result of a flying aircraft. A prime example of a scratch builder is J Morgan. Read one of his build threads. If you are doing anything less, you are not scratchbuilding.

John
Jun 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote: Scratch built means that you scratch out the plan, then build the airframe.

Who is it that says this? Please cite a reference for this remarkable claim.
Jun 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
I have to agree with CSP. I would also suggest that some of the modified designs that spawn from could be classed as scratch builds.

But probably more importantly: anyone who criticises anyone else for calling themselves a scratch builder, however they build planes, has got far too much time on their hands and needs to order themselves some foam!!

TCF
Jun 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
Always felt it was more...'scratch your head for ideas, scratch the plans, scratch your head with problems and build'..LOL!
Jun 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Gone Fly'n
If I say my plane is scratch built, regardless of what I built it with(ie. manufactured parts), then it is.
Jun 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
Scale Builder
It is, of course, all a matter of opinion and you will get many of them and they are all worth about the same. So,here's mine:

scratchbuilding - building from your own plans, making your own parts
plans building - building from somebody else's plan, making your own parts
kit building - building somebody else's design from prepared parts
assembling - putting together an ARF

Of course you can have any number of combinations of the above such as the OP's example of using a kit or ARF wing on a scratch built fuselage. Anyway, it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but it's interesting to hear other folk's opinions on the subject.
Jun 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
i do design and build a lot of models "from scratch" and have far too many years of doing it under my belt for my own good

but

in the context of this section of the forum that is "scratch built foamies"

i would define it as starting off with a sheets of raw material and marking out/cutting out and glueing together all those parts you have struggled to interperet from somebody elses loose set of plans/instructions!

its not building from a supplied kit of pre-cut parts

and it deffinately is not buying an ARTF foamie!

well done all you builders and creators for sharing all your highs and lows on this great forum

david
Jun 10, 2012, 01:09 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
A quick Google on 'scratch built' came up with various hits, even Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_building

The was even a 'scratch built computer site', somehow I don't think they grow their own silicone for the chips.

There is no absolute answer, the same when someone asked 'what's a scale model', it can mean slightly different things to different people.

To me they are all part of the hobby, whatever the power, (or none in the case of gliders), whatever the material used, whatever the method of achieving the models flight. Be if built, bought, constructed, assembled, 'grown'. I will call it whatever I am happy with, even a piece of junk. (I've had a few of those).
Jun 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
treefinder
I tend to agree with chad V's definitions, buy find it interesting how pervasive this question I. There is a thread in the builders workshop, and I think in the modeling science forum with the same discussion. The argument that never ends........