New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Oh wow, good Nyborg.
Discussion

Best method to remove old EconoKote film?

Well, like the subject says, I am looking for the best way to remove some old Econokote from a skinned wing. I am pretty sure this film is the low temp variety.

I want to remove this stuff, it is old and saggy. I plan to glass the skins and need to get all the old stuff off. I started to just pull it back and the clear part of the film started to separate leaving the color stuck to the skin, so I tried briefly to apply heat but it did not seem to help.

Help.

Peace, Wolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by jhaywood
Heat was the only way I could get it off of wood, and then it was hit or miss.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by edwin1
I just finished doing this on an old ultra stick. Quite a bit of color was left behind even using heat. I tried wiping with acetone which DID remove more but it also imbeded some the color into the wood grain. Since I was recovering with ultracoat white, I couldnt have that. What I finally had to resort to was a heat gun and a blade. Heated up the color, then scraped lightly with a curved blade. Tedious but it got almost all of it off.
Edwin
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by KrisM
Site Moderator
Closing this one. Leaving this one open:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1669030