Jun 19, 2019, 02:04 PM
It got away...
Bird has arrived

Was hoping some of you guys could give me some tips on first things to check. Never owned a decent plane before!

I’ve read about the nose protector, servo protector spoons, even using tape to smoothen out the ducted fan .. etc. anything else I should do before flying?

Any things I should check before when a new plane arrives?
Last edited by Number2; Jun 20, 2019 at 07:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 02:13 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Congrats on getting your MiG!

First thing to do with all of the UM/UMX planes that use the linear servos - reduce all control-throws on your tx to ~95-98% to prevent servo binding/sticking at full-stick. Due to slight differences between transmitter signals & the fact that linear servos have a mechanical travel limit, it is fairly common to see linear servo binding/sticking if the tx throws are left at 100%.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jun 20, 2019, 06:45 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhokita
I’m trying to piece together a MIG. I think I have all the parts except for the EDF. Does anyone have one for sale?
HH does!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/delta-v...-v2-efldf180m2

https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180m-...-eflm30180mdfe

Consider buying a few extra rotor blades to compare them so that only the smoothest is flown. Installing good ones greatly improved the flying of all my micro EDFs. Good luck!
Jun 20, 2019, 07:40 AM
It got away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Congrats on getting your MiG!

First thing to do with all of the UM/UMX planes that use the linear servos - reduce all control-throws on your tx to ~95-98% to prevent servo binding/sticking at full-stick. Due to slight differences between transmitter signals & the fact that linear servos have a mechanical travel limit, it is fairly common to see linear servo binding/sticking if the tx throws are left at 100%.

Joel
Thanks Joel! Just what I was looking for.
Jul 02, 2019, 01:29 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
I recently bought a 3d printer and have had some success printing edf parts, so a friend of mine asked if I could make his umx F16 quiet. I don't have an F16, but I do have a MiG so I used it as a testbed.

It was a bit of a challenge getting something this small to print well. It's not perfect, but it sure works good and it's much quieter than the stock rotor. It pulls 5.5a on a fresh pack. I did the fet stack mod on this plane some time ago, so maybe that's why I dont have any issues. The plane has much better climb than before and can do some nice big loops.

I believe there's more I could do for noise if I print the rest of it with new stators, but this will do for now.
Jul 02, 2019, 07:55 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
cool

rotor cost shipped to 79703?
just asking for a friend, ya know...
Jul 02, 2019, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C
I recently bought a 3d printer and have had some success printing edf parts, so a friend of mine asked if I could make his umx F16 quiet. I don't have an F16, but I do have a MiG so I used it as a testbed.

It was a bit of a challenge getting something this small to print well. It's not perfect, but it sure works good and it's much quieter than the stock rotor. It pulls 5.5a on a fresh pack. I did the fet stack mod on this plane some time ago, so maybe that's why I dont have any issues. The plane has much better climb than before and can do some nice big loops.

I believe there's more I could do for noise if I print the rest of it with new stators, but this will do for now.

VERY !
Jul 03, 2019, 04:46 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
cool

rotor cost shipped to 79703?
just asking for a friend, ya know...
Let me get my buddies F-16 dialed in and I'll let you know.
Jul 03, 2019, 08:40 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
well, not to be trash talking him, but he has:
3 A-10s
1 F-16
1 mig 15
1 habu

so far....

Quick Reply