Apr 23, 2019, 08:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Has anyone attempted to put a QF1611(1311) 7000KV 30mm EDF unit inside of the UMX Mig-15?
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2019, 04:59 AM
I've had questions about how I do the orange LEDs on EDF units and what parts I use, so check out the last couple posts of nitrocharged's MiG-15 owners thread.
May 08, 2019, 01:12 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Anyone flying the new one above 4000'? the performance of the original one as well as the A-10 is less than thrilling, even with the LG removed, up here at altitude... Wondering if Horizon finally accounted for folks living where the air is thin...?
Which packs are you using in the original UMX MiG?

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
May 08, 2019, 01:46 PM
nom
nom
Could anyone point me to cheap parts? I was a bit rusty and a tree jump out of nowhere and chewed up one wing and the top part of the tail. Damn ninja trees...looking at the prices it might just be better just to get a new plane.
May 08, 2019, 02:09 PM
When they were discontinued I built one from spare parts, so I looked everywhere. I bought mine from HH. Sometimes you could find new parts for the first generation MiG on Amazon, but now that there's a new MiG parts are the same price as for second generation MiG parts. With what a tail assembly and wing will cost you, I'd say just buy a new MiG and you'll have a lot of spare parts in your current MiG. (just aim the other wing at the tree next time... )
May 08, 2019, 02:36 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Plus, the new UMX MiG has a higher Kv motor/more power than the original.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
May 09, 2019, 02:51 PM
nom
nom
Well thanks for the replies, looks like I go buy the new mig.
May 10, 2019, 04:48 AM
When I ordered mine last week HH had a special coupon offer on their site so it's only $115 shipped. Got mine for $80 because I sent back some defective parts and they gave me a deal.
May 12, 2019, 02:57 AM
Here is the finished UMX MiG-15 top and bottom views. The control rod tubes are painted to match the tail color and there is a landing light installed on the nose along with scale pilot seat and instrument panel. Wing walks were painted flat, as they are a rough surface like sandpaper on the full-scale MiG.
On the bottom you can see my battery compartment hatch, servo covers, and cannons made from aluminum tubing painted gunmetal color.
May 12, 2019, 02:59 AM
Here you can see the actual MiG -15 instrument panel. The white stripe in the center is on all MiG panels. It's to show the pilot where to put the stick to recover from a spin.
May 12, 2019, 03:04 AM
Here you can see the nav lights and landing light and the orange LED that glows with throttle. This is just above idle. It glows brighter as throttle increases. The exhaust area is painted black and the nose intake is painted in aluminium to match the fuselage. Looked too fake from factory with white styrofoam in there. Also added the Chinese Air Force markings on fuselage sides as they appear on Chinese MiGs. The factory missed that detail.
I also did the air brakes in aluminum tape.
The inside of the fuselage from EDF to tail is covered in Chrome Monokote, that's why the orange glow looks so good. It also makes the inside pretty slippery for airflow.
Last edited by Wing No; May 12, 2019 at 03:12 AM.
May 12, 2019, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing No
Here is the finished UMX MiG-15 ... .
Outstanding detail!

Gene K
May 13, 2019, 04:08 AM
Very nice WN!
Can you please provide some details of what lighting kit or parts was used? How the AB is wired up?
Thanks Eric
May 13, 2019, 05:56 AM
Thanks Gene and 4stripes.
4stripes, check out post #5815 on nitrocharged 's MiG-15 owners thread in this section for details and photos of the motor LED setup.
The nav lights I made from LEDs from Evan Designs (their website is modeltrainsoftware. com). They sell SMD LEDs in several sizes. I used the Chip size LEDs for the nav lights and a white 3mm LED with lens for the landing light. I had been making my own lights soldering tiny SMD LEDs and resistors to wires (nightmare -I HATE soldering -took me an hour per light) but since finding Evan Designs I buy my nav lights pre-made with the LEDs and resistors already soldered to wire. I made the landing light and "afterburner "light. Ask for Shelly and tell her Lance sent you. She knows her stuff and can help you get the right sizes and voltages.
When I bought LEDs, resistors, and wire and made my own light sets it cost about 70 or 80 cents a set. Buying the LEDs in this size with resistor and wiring from them is about $2.25 per light- around $7.00 a set. If you buy the same set from the RC light places they charge around $25-$35 a set.
Last edited by Wing No; May 13, 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Today, 09:41 AM

UMX MIG EDF motor

Iím trying to piece together a MIG. I think I have all the parts except for the EDF. Does anyone have one for sale?

Quick Reply