Jan 10, 2013, 05:08 AM
Probably ot the thing to share in an UMX thread, but you should check this out:
Flite Test - The OSRC Project (12 min 57 sec)

It's about a modular transmitter, built from ground up and the guy that made it needs some support to get it out there.
It could even give class to the futaba MZ systems and from the looks of it it's far more advanced.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hey Nitro-what are you using for a belly cover? I thought you had just sprayed on some clear coat tamyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
I painted the inside of both my nose bash plate and belly cover and they remain pristine.

If my nose was as mangled - I would definitely chop it off and use Sharky's cover.
Jan 14, 2013, 01:54 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
I used low heat clear heatshrink (85mm 0.3mm thickness) and shrunk it onto the lower fuse half. Then trimmed it up and attached it using double sided tape.
Jan 14, 2013, 08:01 AM

Replacement LG

In-stock as of 0800 edt, 1/14/13
Jan 18, 2013, 06:29 PM
just go fly...

The 1:1MIG15

ok, i have finally achieved my goal of 1:1 Power to weight ratio. it was not easy. it cost an absurd amount of money in smoked motors (literally), puffy batteries, test equipment, replacement parts and ESCs. but i achieved my goal of 1:1. she will hold position and even climb vertically right out of your hands, well sort of. you have to keep her upright with your hands, but she climbs. slowly, but she climbs.

so here you go. a reliable, repeatable, design with a reasonable flight time (2:30) for those who are not afraid of a soldering iron or insane speed. i call it "the 1:1MIG15"

My "1:1MIG15" Specs:
* Battery: TP325 2S 65C stripped down and wrapped in KAPTON (saves 2grams)
* ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 25 (stripped down)
* EDF housing: AEO28mm modified with counter sunk screw holes so i could get 5mm M2 screws to seat nice and deep into the motor stator.
* EDF Fan: stock AEO28mm 7 blade
* Motor: HP06v2 16500 kv outrunner with a 12mm shaft with a wee bit of *dried* CA on the shaft.
* Connectors: MicroDeans all around
* Peak static thrust in fuselage on the bench: 102.8grams @ 15.17amps & 110.2watts
* Sustainable static thrust in fuselage on the bench: 83grams @ 13.5amps & 91.2watts
* Temperatures: Motor 45c, Batt 55c, ESC 35c
* Normal Flight time: ~2:30
* WOT test time: ~1:30
* AUW: 109 grams with batt
* Reliability: this setup is solid. 15 WOT runs of 1:30 on the bench, try that with a stock 10mm inrunner. i kept melting the stock EDF housing on 3S with anything more than a min of WOT. i have yet to smoke this HP06v2 EDF, but i do wait 5 mins between runs to give the motor time to cool. just to be prudent.

funny thing was that even though the bench was showing less than 1:1. when the 1:1MIG is out of the test rig it makes more thrust. video to come.
Last edited by fluxnstuff; Jan 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: found video of the thrust test. added screen shot of the peak thrust and updated the numbers
Jan 18, 2013, 08:22 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxnstuff
ok, i have finally achieved my goal of 1:1 Power to weight ratio. it was not easy. it cost an absurd amount of money in smoked motors (literally), puffy batteries, test equipment, replacement parts and ESCs. but i achieved my goal of 1:1. she will hold position and even climb vertically right out of your hands, well sort of. you have to keep her upright with your hands, but she climbs. slowly, but she climbs.

so here you go. a reliable, repeatable, design with a reasonable flight time (2:30) for those who are not afraid of a soldering iron or insane speed. i call it "the 1:1MIG15"

* EDF housing: AEO28mm modified with counter sunk screw holes so i could get 5mm M2 screws to seat nice and deep into the motor stator.
* Motor: HP06v2 16500 kv outrunner with a 12mm shaft a wee bit of *dried* CA on the shaft.
* Connectors: Deans all around
* Peak static thrust in fuselage on the bench: 94.8grams @ 15amps & 107.4watts
* Sustainable static thrust in fuselage on the bench: 83grams @ 13.5amps & 91.2watts
* Flight time: ~2:30
* Reliability: this setup is solid. 15 WOT runs of 2:30 on the bench, try that with a stock 10mm inrunner. i kept melting the stock EDF housing on 3S with anything more than a min of WOT. i have yet to smoke this HP06v2 EDF, but i do wait 5 mins between runs to give the motor time to cool. just to be prudent.

funny thing was that even though the bench was showing less than 1:1. when the 1:1MIG is out of the test rig it makes more power. video to come.
First of all THANKS!!
I do have a couple questions:
Why not use a Castle Thunderbird 18? it is lighter and by specs should handle the load.
Are your connectors micro Deans or Deans? I'm sure you meant micro deans right?
Finally, are you sure you're sane? I mean this is an insane amount of power!

-Brian
Jan 18, 2013, 08:51 PM
just go fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
First of all THANKS!!
I do have a couple questions:
Why not use a Castle Thunderbird 18? it is lighter and by specs should handle the load.
Are your connectors micro Deans or Deans? I'm sure you meant micro deans right?
Finally, are you sure you're sane? I mean this is an insane amount of power!

-Brian
i am using MicroDeans 2 and 3pin plugs. 16 gauge except for the leads on the batts, there i just reused the stock ThunderPower wire.

the TB18 and the Phx25 both weigh 17grams... so i went for the programability and extra head room amp wise. never know where i may use it in the future. i will post some weights of the parts and all that jazz. i would also note that the e-flite 20amp ESC ($40USD) was preforming pretty nicely for the money. but i toasted it before i completed testing (totally my fault, i shorted it out) and said to hell with it and went for the Phx25 ($80USD plus another $25 for the Castle USB Link). i would suggest others try the E-flite 20amp ESC as solid alt to the very pricey, but sweet, Castle Creations bits. though you may have to add heat sinks to the e-flite 20a since i think it is only rated for 15amps with no airflow and i have seen more than 15amps on the WattsUp meter during testing. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA311B

and none of my projects "make sense" financially, i just enjoy messing about.
Last edited by fluxnstuff; Jan 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Jan 18, 2013, 10:38 PM
just go fly...
Quote:
* Peak static thrust in fuselage on the bench: 102.8grams @ 15.17amps & 110.2watts
updated the original post with more accurate and greater thrust numbers. also added a screen shot of the video wattsup meter and scale.
Jan 19, 2013, 02:29 AM
just go fly...
and a video of the bench test.

28mm EDF - 16500kv WOT bench test
102grams of static thrust in a e-flite imx micro mig15 fuselage with a phoenix 25 ESC

28mm EDF - 16500kv WOT bench test (3 min 17 sec)
Jan 19, 2013, 10:06 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Very nice stuff FluxnStuff!
Jan 19, 2013, 03:33 PM
we can take off without that
Quote:

* Motor: HP06v2 16500 kv outrunner with a 12mm shaft with a wee bit of *dried* CA on the shaft.
* Connectors: MicroDeans all around
* Normal Flight time: ~2:30
* WOT test time: ~1:30
* Reliability: this setup is solid. 15 WOT runs of 1:30 on the bench, try that with a stock 10mm inrunner. i kept melting the stock EDF housing on 3S with anything more than a min of WOT. i have yet to smoke this HP06v2 EDF, but i do wait 5 mins between runs to give the motor time to cool. just to be prudent.

funny thing was that even though the bench was showing less than 1:1. when the 1:1MIG is out of the test rig it makes more thrust. video to come.
Interesting stuff, well done. I do similar 1:1 chasing with the 50mm jets.
If you want to spend more money you can shave off another 6g ~ 7g,
Kontronik do a 15A esc, minijazz 15, weight 11g with wires, but possibly less as you wont need the whole length.
http://www.kontronik.com/index.php?o...id=166&lang=en

YGE also do excellent escs, I have a 12A one which weighs only 7g, but the next one up is 18A and weighs 14g.
Jan 19, 2013, 11:51 PM
just go fly...
thanks green_flyer. now that i know what i need. you're right, time to go to an ESC that is exactly the amps i need and save some grams. that MiniJazz at 15amps (20 burst) at 11grams with wires looks HOT. i might be able to get that down to ~7 grams if i try. not sure if 0.5-1.0 amp will trigger its protection cut out. not cheap to find out either, $100USD.

i have an XP12a ESC from oversky
http://www.overskyrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=107

we hack them, flash them with the blheli firmware to add governers and all sorts of fun programming. we even have a community brewed usb toolstick and an PC app.
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=390517

stripped down the XP12a weights 5-6 grams and it powers the HP06v2 16500kv in my MCPX heli no issues, but in the EDF it draws more. must be that direct driven 7 blade fan. i can burst it WOT for 10sec then the protection steps in.

i have the Phx25 down to 12.8 grams stripped down (from 17g). i friggin love the Phx25 for testing. plenty of head room to tune things.

i def want those 5-6 grams back. but $100USD to test whether the miniJazz can sustain 1 amp over its rating is a tough call. i would have to get a TREX250 to justify the cost if it does not work out in the mig... any one have an opinion?
Jan 20, 2013, 12:03 AM
just go fly...
maiden flight of the 1:1MIG15 today. WOW. i hand launched her and she headed straight for the deck. i pulled back on the stick hard and gave it WOT, she did 50-60 degrees AoA and just hung in the air 12inches off the grass for a second and then did a wing tip stall... i should have dropped the nose, but i am just starting to learn how to manage this amount of power and weight. any suggestions for a good jet model that i can train for these situations in realflight 6?

i wish i had video of it. it was like the thing had canards for a second.
Jan 20, 2013, 12:16 AM
sorry if I'm stating the obvious but...

definitely check your CG, per the instruction manual. adding dead weight to get it balanced is better than flying way off of CG recommendation. later, you can shift components to balance with no dead weight

also, trim in a few clicks of up elevator for your next launch (if no change was made to cg). with 1:1 thrust, it should get to flying speed very quickly. don't toss more than a 15° angle up from horizontal.

i hope you get her in the air soon, i'm drooling to see how it performs!
Jan 20, 2013, 04:38 AM
just go fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
i hope you get her in the air soon, i'm drooling to see how it performs!
CG is right in the middle of the wing servos or there about. i have her back together. she is a little heavy 110 grams with all the park flyer protection on it. i figured i need the safety equip until i get used to her. i can get her back down to 100 grams as soon as i find the perfect ESC. i may change the wires from 16 gauge to 20, that will save 3 grams i bet.

VIDEO of my second flight. sorry about the quality. it was my first time with a cheap glasses cam. what hw are people using to make these head cam movies? i saw some $250-300 units, but that seams like over priced brand names stuff. i want good enough. i rather spend the money on a miniJazz.\

as you cans see she rips.
1to1MIG 2nd flight (2 min 9 sec)
Last edited by fluxnstuff; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:52 AM.

Quick Reply