Avro 504 Night Fighter - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2003, 11:32 PM
Senile Member
Discussion

Avro 504 Night Fighter

In honor of Kurt Bengtson's new web site, I thought I would start a building thread for his Avro 504 night fighter. This is still in the prototype stage so it is offered in the workshop section.

This is actually a Peter Rake design and was adapted by Kurt. Pete's standard Avro 504 has been built, flown and published. Since this aircraft is essentially the same, I expect great things from it. Benny Laird has a thread on the standard Avro.

Just a little background on the Avro 504. It is a two seat scout plane that saw some action at the beginning of WWI. But it was soon outclassed and spent most of the war as a trainer in England. They did, however, modify some by fairing over the front cockpit and putting a Lewis machine gun on the top wing. This was the night fighter version that was used against derigable raids in England.

I am very happy to see that Kurt is once more offering short kits. In light of that, the first photo is of the plans and laser cut short kit.

Larry
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2003, 11:37 PM
Senile Member
Here are all of the parts required to build both wings. Everything is laser cut with the exception of the leading edges, the spars and the trailing edges.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:38 PM
Senile Member
The spars are basswood and are notched at the end to fit over the sheet wing tips.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:40 PM
Senile Member
The trailing edges are cut from sheet stock and are notched to accept the ribs.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:42 PM
Senile Member
I started building the wings by glueing the leading edges, spars and trailing edges to the wing tips over the plan. I placed some key ribs temporarily to get everything evenly spaced.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:44 PM
Senile Member
I then glued in all of the ribs with the exception of the root ribs.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:47 PM
Senile Member
To attach the root ribs, I blocked up the wing tips to the proper dihedral angle and then glued the root ribs to the wing making sure they were vertical to the building board.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:48 PM
Senile Member
I then built the top wing center section. I started by glueing the dihedral brace to the center section spar.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:50 PM
Senile Member
I then assembled the center section over the plan.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:52 PM
Senile Member
Next I attached the upper wing panels to the center section. I blocked up the wing tips to the proper dihedral angle for this operation.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:55 PM
Senile Member
I glued the sheeting to the inner bays of the bottom wings and, voila , the wings are done.
Nov 06, 2003, 11:58 PM
Senile Member
I built the empanage directly over the plans. Most of the parts are laser cut. I only had to supply a few sticks.

That's it for now. Next we'll look at building the fuselage.

Larry
Nov 07, 2003, 08:51 AM
Designing on the edge
Hi all,
Pete's original design was meant for an Astro 010 geared. Larry and I thought that a geared S400 would be a reasonable alternative, so I redesigned the fuse to accept a Mini-Olympus 2.3:1 gearbox. So far, all seems to be going along very well. Great work, Larry!
Nov 09, 2003, 09:44 AM
Senile Member
Here's a shot of the beginning of the fuselage. Both sides are simply built up over the plan. I carved and sanded the cabane struts to a streamline shape before I glued them to the sheeting.
Nov 09, 2003, 09:48 AM
Senile Member
I then glued the front of the fuselage halves together using formers f2 and f3 and the motor mount. The formers and motor mount have tongues that fit into slots in the sheet sides. That holds everything square.