Sep 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Thread OP
As ever, lots of alternatives...!

Before cutting the windows free I decided to try the black tissue, though cut into separate panels to give the illusion of framing. It actually came out better than I expected (and better than my original 'one piece' look). I'll leave it a couple of days and see how I feel about it then.

One good thing - it hides the unsightly wiring & radio gear!

The workbench wormhole has opened again - this time its the bags with the operating arms and screws for the servos which have travelled through space and time. So until their co-ordinates coincide with mine, the servos can't be fixed or connected.......

And whilst posting last night, Pippa (age 10) looked at the photograph of the fuz and asked how I'd made it. After I'd told her, she looked me straight in the eye and said 'You realise that if you crash it it'll be ruined, don't you? Perhaps it would be best if you just looked at it.......'!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
The black windows look fine to me Colonel.
The sagacity and wise words of a 10 year old should never be underestimated

sparks
Sep 02, 2012, 04:21 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
I wouldn't change those windows, I think they look really sharp!

She's right, of course, but .......listen to my voice, look directly at the flashing light....you WILL NOT crash it, you WILL NOT crash it, you are a GREAT pilot, you can fly ANYTHING, it WILL fly like a bird. When I snap my fingers you will wake up full of confidence. And even if that doesn't work, it is going to be light and fly slowly so it will only crash slowly!
Sep 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Simple, and yet very effective. And as you say, all the RC stuff is concealed. Really looks good, Colonel!
Sep 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
i like it. I guess it looks even better than a transparent one on this model!
Sep 03, 2012, 03:17 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Is it done yet Colonel?
sparks
Sep 03, 2012, 04:08 PM

Out of the mouths of...

Yes, "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings" etc,,,,,wise words. I go with the crowd the black windows look great. If you wanted some flat celluliod try cutting up a , bought in flight, Gin Bottle, empty of course, ask the wife for help here. Brian M.
Sep 04, 2012, 06:30 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Jiver
I go with the crowd the black windows look great. If you wanted some flat celluliod try cutting up a , bought in flight, Gin Bottle, empty of course, ask the wife for help here. Brian M.
They've certainly grown on me, so the black windys will stay. And Brian, good idea, but Milady always expects her refreshment to already be in a crystal glass when presented to her....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59
Is it done yet Colonel? sparks
Nearly, sparks, nearly...........

All that's left to do is just:
a) Cover the wing with mylar
b) Cover the wing with white tissue
c) Curse at the patchy finish
d) Remove warps in wing induced by covering
e) Decorate to choice
f) Attach tail feathers (these will need to be permanently affixed, so lets hope the incidence is OK)
g) Find servo fittings and attach servos
h) Add control horns
i) Make up pushrods and attach
j) Attach undercarriage
k) Add battery Velcro
l) Balance
m) Add noseblock
n) Set up R/E throws
o) Pray
p) Test glide & adjust
q) Fly
r) Congratulate oneself, or return to Post 1 of this thread
Sep 04, 2012, 06:35 AM
You forgot a very important one between (p) and (q) Colonel:- WAIT FOR SOME NICE CALM (AND DRY) WEATHER. Based as you are in the blasted North I can say from 65 years of experience that this one may take more time than all the others put together!!

I must say I am EAGERLY anticipating the first flight, I'm sure it won't let you down.
Sep 04, 2012, 06:58 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
With reference to item g) on your schedule of outstanding work. I think you will find the application of the SOD constant, factored into Murphy's Law of things that are bound to happen, the said items will not, ever, be found until 4 nanoseconds after you have purchased and received new replacements.

They will become immediately visible when you go to put the new ones in a safe place, and that safe place will be the exact location of said abscondees.

To which the usual expletive rhyming with Sugar is usually applicable.

sparks
Sep 04, 2012, 08:59 AM
Quite right Sparks; all modellers workshops come complete with several black holes into which anything you put down promptly disappears, only to be spat out again when you have either - (a) laboriously made or (b) made a special trip to buy (or in my case placed an on-line order for) - a replacement. Which is one reason why I build so many aeroplanes - to use up all the duplicate bits!
Sep 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59
To which the usual expletive rhyming with Sugar is usually applicable.

sparks
My usual expletive rarely rhymes with sugar!
Sep 05, 2012, 07:49 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
I like the blacked out windows and have used them often to hide the innards.
Sep 05, 2012, 09:18 AM
>CALM (AND DRY) WEATHER. Based as you are in the blasted North I can say from 65 years of experience that this one may take more time than all the others put together!!

Nah.... Northern modellers are a hardy lot. August 27th, Church Fenton ...

>Winds of about 20mph gusting to nearer 30mph all morning and then accompanied by rain, very heavy for most of the time throughout the afternoon.

Models were being retrieved from two fields further outside the site, after flights of about 90 seconds, despite the wind and rain.

As saia, a hardy lot. Go for it, Colonel .. .after all, you have 'control' of the situation !
Last edited by Applehoney; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Sep 05, 2012, 10:54 AM
Just underlines what I said about Northern weather Jim. I have reached the age of discretion, unlike JO'D who (quote when he announced his retirment from model flying) "never flew for fun" (which I find very sad), I ONLY fly for fun these days (not that I didn't enjoy contest flying when I did it) and hence don't try to beat the elements but wait for the right conditions for the model. OK, so I am luckier than most in where I live with regard to the number of decent flying days we get each year, but even if this were not the case my days of battling the elements are over.

Quick Reply