Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
Discussion

Y6 Design & Build


Hi All.

As I'm close to finalising my first Y6 design, I'm at a loss how to calculate the best length of arms and what should be considered while making this decision.

I'll be using SunnySky 2216-12 800kv motors with ACP 10x3.8 slow fly top props and APC 11x5.5 electric bottom props.
I guess its trial and error with working out the optimal length of arms but if anyone has a rule of thumb or a calc of some sort, please share!

I'll keep a build log and will update this thread with as much info as I can so others can benefit.

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2012, 08:32 AM
Registered User
tstrike's Avatar
I know with quads and hexa's it's 1 blade width between blade tips. So if your biggest blade on a quad is 12 inches, you'd want a minimum of 24 inches center of motor to center of motor. On a Y6 I guess the rule of thumb would be wide enough to not cut off your landing gear.
Jun 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User
JanHenning's Avatar
In general, short arms are best for acro, and long arms are best for AP/FPV/Smooth flying. When that is said you can adjust parameters that will change flying characteristics in the FC (depending on type of course) so the general rule is for gyro only systems like the KK.

I would think like this:
Long enough to get unobstructed view from camera, if you plan on flying FPV/AP
Short enough to avoid flexing, and extra weight
Long enough to accept the propeller size you need to carry the craft
As short as possible to handle the wind conditions you fly in

My 3200 grams Y6 is 740mm between the motors, and I am very happy. Takes 12 inch propellers without problem.
Jun 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike View Post
I know with quads and hexa's it's 1 blade width between blade tips. So if your biggest blade on a quad is 12 inches, you'd want a minimum of 24 inches center of motor to center of motor. On a Y6 I guess the rule of thumb would be wide enough to not cut off your landing gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHenning View Post
In general, short arms are best for acro, and long arms are best for AP/FPV/Smooth flying. When that is said you can adjust parameters that will change flying characteristics in the FC (depending on type of course) so the general rule is for gyro only systems like the KK.

I would think like this:
Long enough to get unobstructed view from camera, if you plan on flying FPV/AP
Short enough to avoid flexing, and extra weight
Long enough to accept the propeller size you need to carry the craft
As short as possible to handle the wind conditions you fly in

My 3200 grams Y6 is 740mm between the motors, and I am very happy. Takes 12 inch propellers without problem.
Thanks guys, all makes sense!

This will be an AP rig so I'll go with longer arms. Jan I'll start with around your Y6 arm length as the prop sizes are similar.

Jun 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
Proto near ready to go, just a tad worried about frame weight.

Frame comes in at just under 1kg with 6x 2216 SunnySky 800kv motors strapped to the arms, will be putting another 500g on with esc's, controller and lipo.

Bit to heavy?
Jun 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
Proto near ready to go, just a tad worried about frame weight.

Frame comes in at just under 1kg with 6x 2216 SunnySky 800kv motors strapped to the arms, will be putting another 500g on with esc's, controller and lipo.

Bit to heavy?

Depends on how much more weight your landing gear, AP camera, gimbal, servos, etc are going to add. Are you going to run 3S or 4S on the battery? With those 6 motors you should be able to get over 5500g thrust. with right props and battery - even with 20% co-ax loss.
Jun 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreylgrey View Post
Depends on how much more weight your landing gear, AP camera, gimbal, servos, etc are going to add. Are you going to run 3S or 4S on the battery? With those 6 motors you should be able to get over 5500g thrust. with right props and battery - even with 20% co-ax loss.
There will be another 500g max on the airframe all in.
I'll be using 4s and 11/5 props on top and 12/6 on the bottom or there about's.
Hoping to be able to put a 1.5/2kg payload on and still be able to hover.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Shrediquette Y6 BOLT Build daign Multirotor Drone Talk 26 Aug 20, 2012 03:43 AM
Build Log Trinity Tricopter/Y6 by Mongrel Gear - Build Log & Review Stunt Double Multirotor Drone Talk 1 Jun 06, 2012 08:17 PM
Discussion Y6 build Woodchuck12 Multirotor Drone Talk 5 Apr 16, 2012 05:37 PM
Build Log RC-Carbon Y6 Build on MultiWii platform Sid3ways Multirotor Drone Talk 80 Sep 18, 2011 09:44 AM
Question <y6> Hexacopter Build Started 3pfilms Multirotor Drone Talk 16 Jul 18, 2011 02:00 PM