NAZA GPS ***Owners Thread*** FIRST PAGE LINKS UPDATED 8-13-12 - Page 464 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
Registered User
ralfrcgroups's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix
I'm building my first F550 now as we speak

check here for manuals + software, you may have to update your software for the GPS to be recognized

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...tor/downloads/
Hi Pete,
welcome here!
The first thing to start with - my opinion - is download the latest manual and then RTFM....; Naza assistant software should be updated to the latest version and if necessary you should do a firmware upgrade to the naza. Then - when GPS is plugged in correctly at the FC - you should be able to find gps-modi-options in the assistant. As you still own and have flown a Naza you should then be able to set the correct parameters. Believe me - it's quite easy!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
volcomsnows2k's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix
I'm building my first F550 now as we speak

check here for manuals + software, you may have to update your software for the GPS to be recognized

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...tor/downloads/
Thanks for the link! Looks like I have to basically reconfig the entire system after the update. I'll look more into that area. Thanks!
Dec 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Eddie James's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k
...I don't even know where to start...
Pete - Plug the gps into the naza - mount it as far away from any electronics on the quad - set any 3 position switch on your radio using the naza software to M - ATT - and GPS - that's it - go fly when you get a green only blink in GPS mode.
Dec 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
volcomsnows2k's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfrcgroups
Hi Pete,
welcome here!
The first thing to start with - my opinion - is download the latest manual and then RTFM....; Naza assistant software should be updated to the latest version and if necessary you should do a firmware upgrade to the naza. Then - when GPS is plugged in correctly at the FC - you should be able to find gps-modi-options in the assistant. As you still own and have flown a Naza you should then be able to set the correct parameters. Believe me - it's quite easy!
Thanks! I will be "tinkering" with this today.
Dec 29, 2012, 02:37 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
volcomsnows2k's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie James
Pete - Plug the gps into the naza - mount it as far away from any electronics on the quad - set any 3 position switch on your radio using the naza software to M - ATT - and GPS - that's it - go fly when you get a green only blink in GPS mode.
Thanks. I really was hoping it was that easy. It's not from what I have been reading. I however will give it a bit to work on. After I finish my AR9200 Power Box install on my 40% Edge today. I will start on this GPS project. Thanks everyone!
Dec 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Eddie James's Avatar
Don't believe what you have been reading. It is that easy. Sometimes "drama" is the norm instead of "flying" .

Go fly that monster - and you are welcome. And by monster I meant the quad
Last edited by Eddie James; Dec 29, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Dec 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
mark_q's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k
Hi everyone! I am new to the multi rotor forum ...

Pete
Welcome to the forum Pete!

One note of caution - please don't do your set-ups or testing with props on. There have bee several unintended startups with the assistant plugged in and it can get pretty dangerous.

Enjoy and thanks for posting!
Dec 29, 2012, 11:49 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
kallend's Avatar
OK, so I set up my NAZA with switchable failsafe so I could test without turning off the Tx. Works just as advertized in atti mode.

So today I decided to try it in GPS mode. According to p21 of the manual (yes, I have RTFM) it should exit enhanced failsafe mode if I switch back to atti or manual.

Well, the failsafe worked, the F450 climbed as it advertized. So I switched back to atti and it didn't come out of enhanced fail safe. Which would have been fine had there not been a tree between it and "home"!!!

Fortunately the damage was minimal.

Any ideas?
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Dec 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
Registered User
QUAD4EVER's Avatar
kallend -

Disengaging RTH and regaining control from switch-induced RTH is a two step process: 1) move the transmitter switch for activating RTH back to normal position 2) then, flip to a different flight mode (MAN / ALTI / GPS). Did you reposition your RTH switch back to normal before trying the different flight modes to get it out of RTH?

Regarding the tree - it was a 65+ foot tree?
Dec 30, 2012, 06:43 AM
Registered User
Yesterday was a lot of fog here in my town and I decided to try a fpv video over it. Here is the video. Impresive view !!
For te descent, I used the RTH, ( very long waiting, very nervous), but everything was ok. Instead the fog, there day was windy, ( between 20-25 km/h).
Hope you like it.

FPV Sobre la niebla (6 min 4 sec)


Regards.
Félix
Dec 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
kallend's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER
kallend -


Regarding the tree - it was a 65+ foot tree?
Oh yes!
And I was unable to shut anything down while it was thrashing itself up there.
I am surprised the damage was so light, not even a broken prop.
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Dec 30, 2012, 09:14 AM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Eddie James's Avatar
Great job Felix!
Dec 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
Quote:
Well, the failsafe worked, the F450 climbed as it advertized. So I switched back to atti and it didn't come out of enhanced fail safe. Which would have been fine had there not been a tree between it and "home"!!!
I have had this happen twice, both on actual failsafes initiated by a problem I am having with my RX. Both times I tried to take over manually it kind of went out of control, once flying sideways till it hit a tree 60 feet up and got stuck in the tree for a while till it fell out and hit the barn roof. The second time it more or less crashed near me. The third time it went in RTH I let it land. It landed EXACTLY on the spot it took off from. Still can't figure out my problem but I am getting a lot of RTH excitement. It comes back fast and looks like it is going to overshoot and then lands perfectly. I am thinking if you try to come out after FFF before it really gets a good hover going Naza can't deal with it. Anyway, I am going to go with autolanding all the way.
Dec 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

Rth


Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
I have had this happen twice, both on actual failsafes initiated by a problem I am having with my RX. Both times I tried to take over manually it kind of went out of control, once flying sideways till it hit a tree 60 feet up and got stuck in the tree for a while till it fell out and hit the barn roof. The second time it more or less crashed near me. The third time it went in RTH I let it land. It landed EXACTLY on the spot it took off from. Still can't figure out my problem but I am getting a lot of RTH excitement. It comes back fast and looks like it is going to overshoot and then lands perfectly. I am thinking if you try to come out after FFF before it really gets a good hover going Naza can't deal with it. Anyway, I am going to go with autolanding all the way.
On one of my crashes (June) I was not able to regain control. After that, much posting/discussion occurred about properly exiting Failsafe, exiting while in FFF, maybe switching back and forth from FM to FM to "wake up" the Naza, Failsafe throttle settings, etc. I don't think anyone has ever figured out why their particular "locked in RTH" occurred. Everyone admits that there's a lot going on in a tense situation.
That being said, I'll restate my view on RTH:
Failsafe (RTH) works most (95%+) of the time, but occasionally it doesn't (just like everything on the Naza). Failsafe is an emergency feature, not a FM. By all means test Failsafe on the bench and at your flying site. Be forewarned that demonstrating it repeatedly is asking for trouble.
I have not used Failsafe in weeks or even months...
Dec 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Registered User
yosemitez's Avatar
from what i have read when switching out of rth to you need to go to gps and then back to atti. it has worked flawlessly for me and i even tried it again yesterday and it worked perfect.

also got home lock working on my flight mode switch. if you loose orientation just got to home lock and when you pull back on the stick it will fly back to home no matter which way it is facing


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Drone Talk 231 Aug 05, 2014 05:32 AM
Discussion HoverFly Owners Thread: Pro, GPS, Sport, Gimbal and news Adidas4275 Multirotor Drone Talk 195 Sep 06, 2012 05:45 PM
Found DJI NAZA GPS Upgrade Module for the DJI Naza Flight Controller skyhulk Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 10 Jul 20, 2012 09:47 PM
Question Question for Spektrum DX8/HF GPS owners Wayno Complaino Aerial Photography 13 Jan 01, 2012 02:18 PM
Discussion Gps owner videos jginsandiego Aerial Photography 0 Oct 04, 2011 06:01 PM