Thread Tools
Nov 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
KG7TTQ - Las Vegas
mark_q's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER
Regarding the metal duct tape (Reflectix Insulation tape) -

It doesn't block radio signal.

I had the same idea of using the metal tape. But, I performed a simple test first. I wrapped my cell phone with a layer of cooking aluminuim foil and tried to call my phone. The phone started ringing. Tried two layers of cooking aluminuim foil and the phone could not recieve a signal when I tried to call the phone.

Next, wrapped the phone with a single layer of the metal duct tape. Call the phone and it ringed. Crap. The metal duct tape is a lot thicker than the cooking aluminuim foil. I would estimate that the metal duct tape is the same thickness as three layers of cooking aluminuim foil.

Tried a double wrap of the metal duct tape. This is approx same thickness as 6 layers of cooking aluminuim foil (I estimate). The phone ringed. So, I decided that the metal duct tape is a FAIL for interefernce protection.
Awesome test, thanks
Latest blog entry: 390 Degree Geared Pan and Tilt
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2012, 12:07 AM
Registered User
Borneoben's Avatar
What about adhesive copper foil tape?

Allot of music shops sell it so you can shield the back of guitar pickups makes for a cleamer sound.

i bought some from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

im sure copper would work better than aluminium foil

Ben
Nov 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
Westland Michigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitez
just make a shield out of aluminum foil and duct tape. my gps is about 2" away from the gopro and i get full lock. you can see the tray the gopro goes on right in front of the rubber bands.

i also have all the gps mounting on velcro per another persons suggestion and it works fine. i can easily adjust to get rid of toilet bowl
I was curious if the GPS was any more or less sensitive to the GoPro 3 than the GoPro 2? Or are they about the same.
Nov 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
Registered User
yosemitez's Avatar
Seemed about the same, each would cause loss of GPS signal when in close proximity to the antenna
Nov 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
Registered User
labcopilot's Avatar
Testing out the new green vibration pad from vibrationmounts.com. I went from horrible jello-filled 1080p using earplugs to crystal clear 1080p using the green vibration dampening pad. These things are expensive but worth every penny (especially if you have a friend that is willing to split the cost with you).

FPV - At the Park / TBS Discovery (3 min 0 sec)
Nov 20, 2012, 07:44 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
I've had success with fairly inexpensive dubro foam rubber from the LHS. Here's some of my footage from over the weekend.

New Park Adventures (3 min 30 sec)
Nov 20, 2012, 07:57 AM
Registered User
labcopilot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez
I've had success with fairly inexpensive dubro foam rubber from the LHS. Here's some of my footage from over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iFw...e_gdata_player
Looks good. And a hell of a lot cheaper than the green vibration pad. May have to pick some of that up for the frakenquad I'm going to build this winter.
Nov 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcopilot
Testing out the new green vibration pad from vibrationmounts.com. I went from horrible jello-filled 1080p using earplugs to crystal clear 1080p using the green vibration dampening pad. These things are expensive but worth every penny (especially if you have a friend that is willing to split the cost with you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PixAwTktptc
Do you mean this one? You weren't kidding about the cost but the video looks great. I've had pretty good luck using the foam earplug method... it's not perfect but it drastically reduces the vibration.

**edit** I've also tried Moon Gel but didn't have much luck with it.
Last edited by Mike_Then; Nov 20, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added Moon Gel
Nov 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
Registered User
labcopilot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then
Do you mean this one? You weren't kidding about the cost but the video looks great. I've had pretty good luck using the foam earplug method... it's not perfect but it drastically reduces the vibration.
Actually , this is the one I use. The web page shows a blue one but the bottom of the page gives you different options. The green one is supposedly tuned to the types of vibrations produced by motors in the 900 kv range. $90 is steep though. The pad is big enough for 2 gopro cameras though so you could split the cost with a friend.

http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM08009.htm
Nov 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
Registered User
lakis21's Avatar
Hello,
does anybody now if there is replacement part, the top cover of the Naza GPS. After a serius crash , by a mistake I did, Destroyed many things in my f550. The top cover is Scratched ... and I like to change it... if anybody knows something let me know!

Regards to everyone
Nov 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
DJI Support
Tahoe Ed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21
Hello,
does anybody now if there is replacement part, the top cover of the Naza GPS. After a serius crash , by a mistake I did, Destroyed many things in my f550. The top cover is Scratched ... and I like to change it... if anybody knows something let me know!

Regards to everyone
If it still works, sand the scratches and paint it. I do not think you will be able to find a replacement unless someone has one that is dead.
Latest blog entry: M200 FAQ's
Nov 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
If it still works, sand the scratches and paint it. I do not think you will be able to find a replacement unless someone has one that is dead.
I was going to say... the scratch shouldn't affect the operation, correct? If it works, the scratch is cosmetic. But if that's not good enough, then yeah, sand it down and paint it. I'm not aware of just the cover for the puck being available for purchase.
Nov 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

Battle Scars


As long as they don't look like my cat chewed them, I like to leave my dents, dings, scratches as is.
The airframe looks like it's well broken in, and not babied.
The white finish on My GPS has the black plastic showing through in a couple of spots.
A nice, shiny, new looking rig is nice, but it won't stay that way long if you plan to fly it.
Nov 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
Registered User
lakis21's Avatar
Ok I have a question, if I connect ony naza + gps + receiver, without out any esc on the naza, and I go out. If I will open it on gps mode, can it lock the satellites and light green? because I see 3 reds one Green...
Is there anyway to check the gps module if it is ok with out frame?
Nov 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

GPS Test


Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21
Ok I have a question, if I connect ony naza + gps + receiver, without out any esc on the naza, and I go out. If I will open it on gps mode, can it lock the satellites and light green? because I see 3 reds one Green...
Is there anyway to check the gps module if it is ok with out frame?
Based on testing I recently did trying to debug a new Naza (which turned out to be bad), I'd say you're fine testing without ESCs connected.
You're getting communication since you see 3 reds & 1 green LED flash.
I'd try another location to test GPS.
Remember that you pretty much need open sky above and around your test site.
Finding GPS satellites won't happen if conditions are marginal.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Drone Talk 231 Aug 05, 2014 04:32 AM
Discussion HoverFly Owners Thread: Pro, GPS, Sport, Gimbal and news Adidas4275 Multirotor Drone Talk 195 Sep 06, 2012 04:45 PM
Found DJI NAZA GPS Upgrade Module for the DJI Naza Flight Controller skyhulk Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 10 Jul 20, 2012 08:47 PM
Question Question for Spektrum DX8/HF GPS owners Wayno Complaino Aerial Photography 13 Jan 01, 2012 01:18 PM
Discussion Gps owner videos jginsandiego Aerial Photography 0 Oct 04, 2011 05:01 PM