Oct 05, 2012, 06:59 AM
fyi https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1741662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez
So, an update to my postings a few days back about my gps not working after crashing, cutting and soldering the wires. I got around to getting the torx bit to take the gps unit apart today and I think I found the problem. Those cracks probably aren't good. This was with no visible damage to the casing.

Oh well, just wish I had video of the crash. One of the few times I forget to press record and thats when it happens.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 07:02 AM
Empire Support

GPS Module Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist
The reason is that the GPS is extremely sensitive to EM interference. If you don't put it on the pole, you need to do some work. The pole doesn't always help either given even a GoPro below the pole can kill a lock at times.
Correct on "work". My top frame mounted GPS module is rotated CCW ~ 20 degrees. That's much more than any magnetic declination would warrant.
Oct 05, 2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
Correct on "work". My top frame mounted GPS module is rotated CCW ~ 20 degrees. That's much more than any magnetic declination would warrant.
Surely, rotating the module is correcting magnetic influences, not EMI? GPS knows nothing about how the antenna is rotated, only the current direction of movement (just trying to be helpful).
Oct 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
Empire Support

Altitude Drift

I know TahoeEd is familiar with what I'm starting here because I've seen comments from him on the other threads devoted to this.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...08&postcount=1
Frankly, when I first heard this, all I could think of was "witchcraft and superstitions". And I would not fuel this fire if I did not have substantiation.

It appears that the Naza FC is light sensitive. Some pilots report a loss of altitude hold accuracy when sunlight shines on the Naza FC's left side (supposedly where the Baro sensor is).
I've been researching this for a while, and not seeing much.
Today, I found a Bosch barometric pressure sensor data sheet that sheds some light (excuse the pun) on this.
The pressure reading tells Naza it's altitude.

The Bosch sensor is typical of those on many FCs with altitude hold features, and it, or a knock-off, is probably what is in a Naza.
I am attaching a page from the Bosch spec sheet.

Most of us put the Naza FC on the bottom plate where it is protected by the top plate. This apparently includes protection from light. If you mount the FC in an exposed position, you might need to place some protective covering such as tape over the FC. Again, I think the left side is where you need to be concerned. Realize that air still needs to be able to get to the baro sensor.
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 08:33 AM
Empire Support

All I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70
Surely, rotating the module is correcting magnetic influences, not EMI? GPS knows nothing about how the antenna is rotated, only the current direction of movement (just trying to be helpful).
...Is that it works!
And the rotated position corrects for whatever interference the GPS is seeing...
I, personally, don't put a lot of weight in the compass declination argument.
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: comments...
Oct 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelarme
Ya, tried soldering. I may just hafta get one of your protectors if I get another.

I feel like dji should replace it since it was their faulty soldering that caused the crash.

Do I remember reading someone sending video of a faulty naza to dji and getting a replacement? I have video of it twitching right before, and pics of the bad soldering
Oct 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
Empire Support

You Never Know...

Quote:
Ya, tried soldering. I may just hafta get one of your protectors if I get another.

I feel like dji should replace it since it was their faulty soldering that caused the crash.

Do I remember reading someone sending video of a faulty naza to dji and getting a replacement? I have video of it twitching right before, and pics of the bad soldering
Young man, I learned this lesson a long time ago:
"You'll never know if a lady will dance, unless you ask her..."
Good Luck!
Oct 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Quote:
Young man, I learned this lesson a long time ago:
"You'll never know if a lady will dance, unless you ask her..."
Good Luck!
Well I already sent an email asking them to help diagnose the problem (before I knew about the cracks) and got no response to that, so I don't have high hopes. I just know I remember reading something about someone doing that on one of the threads.
Oct 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
Empire Support

Evidence

Quote:
Well I already sent an email asking them to help diagnose the problem (before I knew about the cracks) and got no response to that, so I don't have high hopes. I just know I remember reading something about someone doing that on one of the threads.
I think I remember it too...
Who's your dealer?
Perhaps they could be your dance partner...
Sorry, I like that cliche'
Oct 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
q {bld(); fly(); brk(); q();}
My dance partner was my mom.

How does that fit into your analogy?
Oct 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
Empire Support

Your Mom Loves You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist
My dance partner was my mom.

How does that fit into your analogy?
....How can she refuse?
So don't judge your mom's attitude by her willingness to dance.
Better?
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: All the off topic I'll do... I promise!
Oct 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Quote:
I think I remember it too...
Who's your dealer?
Perhaps they could be your dance partner...
Sorry, I like that cliche'
Well, that's another problem. I got the Naza+GPS NIB through a friend of a friend who has a local shop. I got a great deal but didn't get a receipt. Then when I couldn't get the naza to play well with my motor/esc combo, I bought the DJI motor/ESC's from gothelirc.com. So it might just be easier and quicker to get a new one from the same guy I did before. But I'll ask him if he has a receipt in his records too, it's worth a shot.
Oct 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
Empire Support

Pay me now...

Quote:
Well, that's another problem. I got the Naza+GPS NIB through a friend of a friend who has a local shop. I got a great deal but didn't get a receipt. Then when I couldn't get the naza to play well with my motor/esc combo, I bought the DJI motor/ESC's from gothelirc.com. So it might just be easier and quicker to get a new one from the same guy I did before. But I'll ask him if he has a receipt in his records too, it's worth a shot.
...Or pay me later.
Sounds like that old motor oil commercial.
Look at it this way. You got a great price, but probably no warranty.
You took your chances, and...

Most of the time you get what you pay for... (unless it's lipo batteries)
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Oct 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Quote:
...Or pay me later.
Sounds like that old motor oil commercial.
Look at it this way. You got a great price, but probably no warranty.
You took your chances, and...

Most of the time you get what you pay for... (unless it's lipo batteries)
Agree, and after I ended up buying the motors and escs separately, I ended up not saving very much over the price of the kit, and I don't have an extra frame to show for it either... oh well, that's what I get for trying to save money .
Oct 05, 2012, 02:09 PM
Empire Support

It Happens...

Quote:
Agree, and after I ended up buying the motors and escs separately, I ended up not saving very much over the price of the kit, and I don't have an extra frame to show for it either... oh well, that's what I get for trying to save money .
I've actually started looking at it differently.
When I first started with electrics, I was HobbyKing's best customer.
BTW, they still get my lipo business.
But, after starting to invest in larger planes, helis, etc., I felt it better to trust my $ to well-crafted and (theoretically) more reliable components.
I do know that a Hacker motor shaft is about twice as hard as a HK motor shaft.
It's probably all in my head because the HK stuff has been trustworthy, but my confidence level is higher with the +$ stuff...

Quick Reply