My first DJI product, love it!

DJI Naza/GPS (1 min 4 sec)

DJI Naza/GPS 2 (0 min 51 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Austria
Wow!! where did you mount your GPS i thought that it had to be mounted 160mm above the frame ?
Cool vid my friend
Jul 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
wow... that video quality is amazing what did you use?

Jul 07, 2012, 06:40 PM

wooow

Quote:
what motor&prop did you use ???
Jul 07, 2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M
Wow!! where did you mount your GPS i thought that it had to be mounted 160mm above the frame ?
Cool vid my friend
There are quite a few of us that are mounting them on an arm and not on a stalk.
Jul 07, 2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys, there is a bunch of info about my setup in this thread: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t685390p1/

aWanderer, video was shot with a Canon T3i/EF50mm f1.8 lens. Planning on carrying it on my next multi-rotor.
Jul 07, 2012, 06:56 PM

DJI 8" props in a crash

The F550 went down pretty hard today, landed upside down and broke 3 frame arms. The motor sections on all 3 was separated from the arms. Here is my point... one prop was bent and none of them broke. I was totally surprised how well they stood up to this crash. Checked them out thoroughly put it all back together for 4 more flights.
Jul 07, 2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Wow...I use a 1000mW for my long range, fixed wing, VTx. That's a lot of power for a little quad. .
I'm also using a relatively high powered vTx (800 mW) for my quad and I've often wondered if it is necessary for the relatively close-range flying that a low-efficiency device such as a quad will do. Then I thought: What's the harm? Better too much power than too little, right? Is there any advantage to using a lower-power vTx--other than the obvious reduced power demand?

(if you can't tell, I'm loooking for an excuse to buy another (lower powered) vTx....
Jul 07, 2012, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
There are quite a few of us that are mounting them on an arm and not on a stalk.
Ok thanks for that i was put off buying the gps for my DJI 450 just for that reason i didn't like the way it was mounted it looked like a cocktail umbrella lol, but this has changed my mind for sure i might order one tonight who's sells them @ the best price?
Jul 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone-

I've been re-thinking my F450 FPV configuration in an effort to make it more portable. Right now it's using these super goofy landing gear/gimbal combo from Hobbyking (they're terribly tall and unstable), so I'm definitely going to ditch those. A few questions:

1.) What exactly makes the FC450 so popular for FPV use? And in general what makes a good FPV frame?

2.) Is it desireable to use a gimbal for your FPV cam? I've read both opinions on this thread.

3.) How do people recommend mounting the big, fragile and high-power-noise-inducing vTX? I don't see many options, and certainly not many options that get much more than 20 cm distance between the vTx and the RC Rx. I've got one of the satellite Rx out on one arm (near a motor), but the main unit is pretty dang close to the VTx.

4.) Where are people mounting their cameras, if not on a gimbal?

I'd love to see pics of F450 setups that are geared up for FPV flying. PS i'm using the BlueBeam cloverleaf antenna (1.3 Ghz) and Spektrum AR8000 Rx (DX8)
Jul 07, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the Fish
RTRyder has a similar set up to yours. You might want to look him up. No gimbal on an FPV camera. You need to see what the craft is doing while you are flying. A lot of people use the DJI F Series frames because they are durable. Have the PDB built into the bottom plate. A few are now starting to explore the Discovery frame from Blacksheep. It is a spider with 120 degrees on the front arms, using the DJI arms, opening that area for the camera. They mount both a GoPro and a dedicated FPV camera in the front camera mount. I use 5.8gHz for my vTx. I also have a EagleTree OSD Pro with GPS on top of the GPS for the Naza. I hang the vTx off the tab in the back with one of the rx satellites right under it. I have not had any problems with interference. You can go to fpvlabs.com for more info or team-blacksheep.com.
Jul 07, 2012, 10:52 PM

RTH landing prop testing

I have heard some people say their quad bounces a few feet in the air after auto-land during RTH. Some say it is prop size. I thought I would do a test to see if anything changed when I used different props. In this video I have 10X4.7 two bladed props.

I used 9.5 three bladed props in this video
Naza Return Home and Autoland Test (0 min 27 sec)

Pretty much the same results in this video with two bladed 10X4.7 props. I got a bounce this test (2nd test) but the test before this one for some reason. With the 3 blade props I didn't have ANY bounce.
RTH Landing-larger props (0 min 43 sec)
Jul 08, 2012, 01:51 AM
Suspended Account
Found the gps here with 22usd off

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dji-naza-g...ade-p-548.html
Jul 08, 2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by testfly
Thanks T J,

The info I share is an effort to help others understand what I have learned.
It took a while to understand how IOC worked and how CL and HL were to be used. Now I have them both well understood and I know when to use them as well as how to use them. It is a wonderful feeling when you know which way the model will move with each move of the tx stick.

I am always glad to help if I can.

Troy
Hi Troy,
can you explain how this is done (close up home lock operation) ?

NAZA IOC (intelligent orientation control) Home Lock (0 min 41 sec)

john
Jul 08, 2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
I'm confused on calibrating the GPS antenna. I can get it in calibration mode just fine. The first step (with solid amber light) is easy, just spin it around while horizontal. When the light goes green I tip the frame vertically. Now the confusion. How am I supposed to rotate it? 1) Point nose up or down then spin around 360 degrees with the nose always pointing up or down? 2) Point the nose up (just for reference) and the spin the frame vertically so the nose goes from up, to side, to down, to other side, back to up, etc until the green LED goes out? #2 is the way I've seen it done with other systems, but I saw options #1 shown in a video posted a few pages back.
Um I think you have done the first horizontal rotation fine. But as soon as the led turns orange. Just flip the quad vertical and continue to rotate yourself in a circle until the led turns green.
Last edited by Stupest; Jul 08, 2012 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply