FrSky telemetry app for Android phones - RC Groups
Jun 06, 2012, 02:50 PM
Discussion

FrSky telemetry app for Android phones

moved to here from:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...71122&page=101

Dear community,
When a friend asked me to develop an Andoid App for his FrSky telemetry system I started reading this forum. I learned a lot from you and as a result I programmed this App to display and log all possible FrSky telemetry data. I believe its time to give something back to all of you. If you are interested you can download the app and some additional tools from this page ( www.hapeweb.com ). Its freeware. Its a beta version and thus has probably still some bugs, but it has been tested and worked fine.

App features:
- selectable sensor inputs ( basic frame and hub frame data), where each selection is show on a separate view page, incl. min/max values per session
- selectable alarms with configurable alarm thresholds
- selectable speech items
- logging of all data in CSV or OpenView format on SD-Card
- model specific settings and selections; alarm and sensor selection stored per model
- indicators for frame lost and GPS lost
- display and speech available in English and German ( auto selection by general phone settings)

The pictures may give you a first impression. Full documentation is available at my download page.

Its not planned to distribute the source code nor to start a new software development discussion here. I believe this forum is probably not the right place for this. ( May be someone could give me a recommendation where to discuss it ).
But Im ready to eliminate the bugs or to add new features. So, please give me some response ( here or using the contact form on my web page). Since Im abroad for some days it may take a bit until I can answer. Please be patient

Hartmut
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2012, 03:20 PM
wic
wic
Nice!
Now You have here an new thread for this aplication.
I look now every hour on Your page for the version for android 4.0.X.

Lieben Gruss aus Finnland

Andy
Jun 06, 2012, 04:22 PM
Subscribed.
Jun 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hello Andy,

I put it to the download side although final testing is not yet finished.
Some known bugs are not yet fixed ( see Version History).

Please let me know whether the 4.0 Version runs on your phone as it should.
Gre von D
Hartmut
Jun 07, 2012, 04:42 AM
Hi there all.
This really seams like a fantastic addition to the FrSky telemetry system - now for my question:
Can it be used on an Iphone and what would it take to make it work on one?
Best regards
Poul.
Jun 07, 2012, 05:13 AM
Hi Poul,

I do not have the knowledge nor do I have an iPhone for testing.
It may sound strange but I recommend to buy one of the very cheap used Android 2.x phones from the well known market place. By mounting this to your radio you are always prepared and can protect your more expensive iPhone.
Jun 07, 2012, 06:16 AM
wic
wic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe
I put it to the download side although final testing is not yet finished.
Some known bugs are not yet fixed ( see Version History).
Please let me know whether the 4.0 Version runs on your phone as it should.
Hello Hartmut,

I have downloaded the last Version for Android 4.0.x_1b and now the sound option is working fine at my samsung galaxy s2.
But the problem with the cell voltage is the same. It shows all time 0.51 Volts smaller tham the lipo-sensor and the FLD-02 on a 3 cell lipo.

A other thing is, I dont look at flying on the display, so it is nice to hear all. But if the phone go in power save mode, the program stops. So it dosnt work in backgrond at my phone.

Lieben grss aus Finnland

Andy
Jun 07, 2012, 06:24 AM
Hello Andy,
we tested the LiPo function with our live system – and it worked fine and the app showed the same values as the FLD-02.
I can’t find a bug in the source code. So we need a third party to check the LiPo function to find out, whether the problem is on my or on your side.
Concerning power saving mode please change the power saving settings on your phone ( from minutes to ……?)
Gru
Hartmut
Jun 07, 2012, 06:58 AM
wic
wic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe
Concerning power saving mode please change the power saving settings on your phone ( from minutes to ?)
Now I checked my system (android) and in the settings for Your aplication is written: cancel sleepmodus (Schlafmodus verhindern).

Is it possible that there also something have changed between 2.2 and 4.0?

Andy
Jun 07, 2012, 07:40 AM
A similar program:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Zyc2t5ZGFzaCJd

In this case its a free software (open source)
Jun 07, 2012, 07:55 AM
wic
wic
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato.jun
A similar program:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Zyc2t5ZGFzaCJd

In this case its a free software (open source)
Yes, I have it also. But its dont show others than RSSI, AD1 and AD2.
This here show the hub data.

Best regards

Andy
Jun 07, 2012, 09:55 AM
Andy,
may be you get it now because I compiled it for Android Version14 rather Version 8 .
On my phone these power settings are available at 'settings' --> 'display' --> 'Screen timeout'
Gru
Hartmut
Jun 07, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hi HaPe,

Do you think one of these modules can do the work ?:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rs232+bluetooth

Congratulations for your great sofrware

Michel
Jun 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Michel,

this has already been answerd by Thorsten5 in the previous forum
Check here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...71122&page=102

In addition:
I have updated the FRS Logger manual to Version2 ( check my download page).
Here I describe in more detail now how to setup HW and APP.
Hartmut
Jun 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
I like this idea so much I started looking for an Android Tablet last night.. Now my head hurts as I am brand new to this Android thing, and it seems to be mottled with all the typical PC clone crazy stuff.. Was wanting to use it for more than just this application, so a 7" tablet sounded interesting, but finding an affordable one with bluetooth seems a challenge. Ended up confused at the end, so your solution of a used phone sounds pretty good to me for now.. Get to know Android a bit more with minimal cost.

-Wayne