Thames River Workboat Ibis - RC Groups
Jun 04, 2012, 07:55 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
Build Log

Thames River Workboat Ibis

This is a build that I'm starting for our good man Tim B. on just the hull build up and he will be finishing the rest of the build.

This a really great looking boat and I know he will make it great!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2012, 08:25 PM
EXCELLENT !
This is gonna be great to have such a highly regarded builder do this.
I really do appreciate it, after an uphill battle with the lifeboat I just aint got time to try to improve my wooden hull skillls.
After the hull is done I will thoroughly enjoy researching the history of Thames workboats form the 30's and follow through with Longbike's superior foundation.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 10, 2016 at 01:32 PM.
Jun 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
no such thing as to many boats
Wow guys nice project Tim how big will it be when it done are you working off plans.
Jun 05, 2012, 12:15 AM
Master builder Longbike has the plans now, I dont remember how long.....

Mr. Longbike, could you be tellin us the LOA on this model ?

Thanks.
Jun 05, 2012, 02:48 AM
Master builder now thats funny!
It looks like it at 29 inches long by 8 inches wide.
Jun 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Having seen Jeff's stuff, I'll go along with the "master builder" tag---.
Jun 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
I am lucky.
I am not up to a scratch build, I dont know how to lay out the frames, I dont have the tools to cut them out, etc.
Much smarter to contract a pro. instead of fumbling through and botching it up.
Also fun to watch it coming along !
We are working on getting just the right Raboesch stuffing tube, its not like hey are everywhere.
Jun 05, 2012, 02:41 PM
no such thing as to many boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
I am lucky.
I am not up to a scratch build, I dont know how to lay out the frames, I dont have the tools to cut them out, etc.
Much smarter to contract a pro. instead of fumbling through and botching it up.
Also fun to watch it coming along !
We are working on getting just the right Raboesch stuffing tube, its not like hey are everywhere.
i hear you Tim nothing work unless you have the right tools thanks for the info will be following along
Jun 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
SO !
I have finally found a bit of time to try to research this type of boat...
Not Easy !
There is nothing on this particular one, but I am learning it is a very British styled craft, found some pics of "Gentlemen's Cruiser"s" from the 30's thay have the raised forward deck I am looking for.

Before I had found these plans I thought it might be possible to modify a lobtser hull, I think this wil be better.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 10, 2016 at 01:27 PM.
Jun 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
UOTE=Tim B.;21983028]SO !
I have finally found a bit of time to try to research this type of boat...
Not Easy !
There is nothing on this particular one, but I am learning it is a very British styled craft, found some pics of "Gentlemen's Cruiser"s" from the 30's thay have the raised forward deck I am looking for.

Before I had found these plans I thought it might be possible to modify a lobtser hull, I think this wil be better.[/QUOTE]

Which one are you going for? its a tough one
Jun 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
WooHoo!
You have some great tools Jeff.
Jun 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Mr. Browndog, gonna stick with the workboat type ( see pic ), it seems to be a derivation of these others from the 30's, it is a proper workboat with heavy rubrails and towbars.

Seems in England there are lots of canals, small tributaries and shallow rivers where this type of tender is/was used to take care of a lot of odd jobs.

I am gonna keep searching for more specific info.

WoodyBob, Jeff DOES have an incredible shop full of cool tools, I could never have tackled this in my little work room with hand tools, I am greatfull he is doing this part of the build ( hull only ).
Jun 26, 2012, 03:49 AM
Starting to look like a boat! shouldn't be long now Tim.
Jun 26, 2012, 05:42 AM
WooHoo!
Looks great LB. You got to do the fun part.
Jun 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
OH BOYYYYYYYYY !
This is So much fun to see this progressing, knowing its done so well !
Interested to see how the rest will come together ( rudder and tube, hull glassing and float test ).
I think after those steps and then a few deck support beams, she will be ready to ship.
Thanks very much for the udpate Jeff !