Nov 06, 2003, 06:07 PM
Very good reporting/testing GARY!!!

Glad you took the plunge for sure. I hope you are checking the draw and watt output with your equipment while you test so you/WE can see the difference of higher voltage packs with low KV motors vs. what we are running now.

THE EXCITEMENT BUILDS! I'm dl'ing your video now!

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2003, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ron.

I tried using the Whattmeter but it chokes on 7s. It won't allow the current to go through under load. I have been checking the temps and monitoring the voltage, though, and since it only took 3800 back in, the average current is pretty close to predicted. So is the run time. The temps were amazingly low. The hottest item was the motor and I had to hunt for a spot that even got up to 115.

Nothing too fancy in the video, but it does show some fairly heavy loading. The pack seems to take it in stride.

-- Gary
Nov 06, 2003, 08:08 PM
that's strange, the wattmeter shouldn't have a problem with 7s. i used mine today on 36 cells with no problem. it's supposed to handle 60V and 100A. what do you mean by won't let the current go thru under load?
Nov 06, 2003, 09:30 PM
Hmmm...didn't know the Astro Whatt Meter had that type of problem with 7S either... But I've only run up to 6S at 1200 watts at 58 amps during some of my testing.

I've never even really read the instructions to see if they have a parameter where damage to the meter or other equipment will occur. BUT I've seen guys running 26 cells pull 78 amps via static load with a plank.

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
Nov 07, 2003, 02:18 AM
Thread OP
This happened during one of my strapdown tests. I was using the kluged together 7s3p configuration, shown in one of the pictures. It had three Y-connectors and lots of cable, which is probably part of the problem. Anyway, with the Whattmeter inserted inline, I tried giving it full negative pitch to see what kind of current it was pulling and the power just dropped down to just about zero. This was repeatable. I then took the Whatmeter out of the loop and it worked fine. I just assumed at the time that it had something to do too much voltage. I guess maybe it had more to do with all the losses from the multiple connections and long wires. Either that, or maybe the Whattmeter itself is acting up.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. The Tanic pack has a single 5-inch cable so that should eliminate any problems with the extra connections.

I think on the ground I'll get numbers like about 750-800W on full pitch deflections, and a bit higher in the air. I'm guessing the voltage will be in the 27V range and the current should max out at around 29-30A. Again, this will usually be higher in actual flight.

-- Gary
Nov 07, 2003, 02:56 AM
wow, 800W on a logo 10. not bad .

you can try my whattmeter on sunday if you like.
Nov 07, 2003, 03:19 AM
Thread OP
I was getting 750W in the air with my 36/30/2 - 5s3p setup so 800-850W isn't too far of a stretch, I think.

Thanks for the offer on the Whattmeter. I'll try yours if mine still acts up.

-- Gary

Quick Reply