Mar 03, 2013, 08:51 PM
TonyS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Teacher
Flew the Bird this afternoon - the last part of the video show the difference after changing the prop from GWS EP 6x3.0 to GWS EP 8x4.3 (my last one).
Now waiting for new props ...
Thank you for sharing the video. Watching your Angry Bird fly was enjoyable, listening to the children's excitement and laughter was even better.

TonyS
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2013, 11:24 PM
@ttabbal

Looks good! If I need painting done, it's normally after cutting all the foam pieces out and before gluing them together. This is normally done to the planes that you know will fly...lol! Then it comes to those that your experimenting with....sometimes I just go for it and paint...and then doesn't fly.. but when it does... Hard work seemed worth it.
On EPP I go with spray paints which are foam safe. Brushing on paint on EPP seems to soak in and hardly gets coverage. I often ended up with several coats defeating the lightness purpose. Now I just mask with masking tape and spray. On Depron, it's usually colored packing tape. Helps stiffen and gives a neat shiny look too..especially on pusher jets! When Lazy....markers help!

Let us know how it goes and a vid would be great!
Building is slow on my end, and the yellow bird prototype is KIV for now. Needed to move tables and shelves around to prepare for the kids new study tables as they progress in their educational mission...haha! So my worktable got relocated and is a mess. Besides...monsoon is supposed to be over but the winds are crazy!! By the time these winds leave...the next SW monsoon is actually around the corner...sheesh!
Mar 04, 2013, 12:49 PM
Set up the control surfaces last night. Other than breaking a servo and having to replace it (those tiny phillips screws suck), I've got that going. Need to get the motor mounted up and program the radio properly as I haven't programmed the elevon mix yet.

Using 5g servos, hxt500. Anyone ever replace the screws that hold the arms on with something in allen/torx? Having to push that hard to keep the screwdriver from caming out, plus hold the servo, plus keep the arm from turning too much.....
Mar 04, 2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg
@ttabbal

Looks good! If I need painting done, it's normally after cutting all the foam pieces out and before gluing them together. This is normally done to the planes that you know will fly...lol! Then it comes to those that your experimenting with....sometimes I just go for it and paint...and then doesn't fly.. but when it does... Hard work seemed worth it.
On EPP I go with spray paints which are foam safe. Brushing on paint on EPP seems to soak in and hardly gets coverage. I often ended up with several coats defeating the lightness purpose. Now I just mask with masking tape and spray. On Depron, it's usually colored packing tape. Helps stiffen and gives a neat shiny look too..especially on pusher jets! When Lazy....markers help!

Let us know how it goes and a vid would be great!
Building is slow on my end, and the yellow bird prototype is KIV for now. Needed to move tables and shelves around to prepare for the kids new study tables as they progress in their educational mission...haha! So my worktable got relocated and is a mess. Besides...monsoon is supposed to be over but the winds are crazy!! By the time these winds leave...the next SW monsoon is actually around the corner...sheesh!
I have been building a desighn from the 70's in foam and electrict and struggling with the same thing,should i paint it first or see if it will fly . With this desighn i'am thinking i need something to see it even if its some neon tape for my first flights. Going to test fly it this week ,wish me luck ! joe
Mar 04, 2013, 04:22 PM
space1

bird

from bird man
Mar 05, 2013, 03:49 AM
@ttabbal

Good to see some progress done. As for the servo arm screw, you don't need to tighten it too much. Yeah the 5g servos are small but those screws should go in without much effort. One tricky thing is getting those small screws to go in straight. If screwed in at an angle the risk of pushing with more effort as it gets tight is possible as it's not tapping the hole in the gear where the screw enters. I nowadays, mount the servos without the arms and when all control surfaces are set up, rods, horns and all, I power everything up and screw in the arms so I can adjust and get them angled properly. If the screws go in and tapp straight, you wouldn't need to push hard or overtighten as they will hold enough. I never tried a replacement type but if your looking for replacement, you would need a similar sized and length screw. Anything bigger or longer will crack the servo gear and/or tighten through the gear damaging internals.
I just use my thumb to press the arm against the screwing rotation of the driver. Alternatively, I use a servo tester and center there and screw the arms in. Then power up the model and adjust control rods.

@joe
That looks awesome! Nice build! I would say at least some tape underwings like stripes for visibility. Since unders don't get much detail...lol! I maiden with circles round the field. If all looks good, I land and bring her home to beauty up! Next flight will be total trimming and adjustments....makes it look good...haha!

@space 1

Nice 'T'!! Damn birds are all over the place! Now it's the Star Wars versions dominating the local Toys R us!!
Mar 05, 2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks. It's starting to look like it could fly.

I might need to re-tap the prop saver. The threads are stripped and I can't tighten it properly. And, of course, I don't have any others small enough. I'll be irritated if the prop flies away instead of the plane. If I'm careful, I guess I might be able to get one of my 3mm prop savers on there. I do like that the motor shaft has a small flat machined into the shaft for it though. Doesn't need to be as tight to make sure things keep spinning.

I also need to set up the multi rates. I got the mixes all set up, but I have a feeling with that deflection amount I won't be able to fly it. I'm thinking 50-75-100, but need to see what that looks like on the plane. Hopefully the next post is a maiden report.
Mar 05, 2013, 08:17 PM
Sounds good ttabbal! Looks like your getting there even with the issues! Yes the flat bit on motor shafts are wonderful to have keeping savers/adapters in place. I've tapped one before and it's not difficult being soft aluminum...lol! Remember after tapping to knock off any burs hiding inside the prop saver. Here's a little tip tho...if using prop adapters, it's always good to tap them down onto a table...sometimes when they drill the hole into the adapter for the motor shaft, there are some burs way way down that hole. I've found several like this. I just tap, then close my eyes and give a hard blow..HAHA!

As for rates....what Tx you using? Go with low rates and lots of expo for the first flight. Just concentrate on flying circles and being able to turn. Once your comfortable, you can reduce the expo and later increase the rates for more throw. Either way...for the maiden, launch the plane and just use small stick movements to see how it reacts. Then move the sticks enough to get it flying well. If it's hard to control, land it and adjust the rates/expo and launch again! It flies...so just custom it to suit the thumbs. One lesson I learnt from maidens is to never risk it when it flies and the rates are too high! Nowadays I immediately land, adjust and fly again.

Keep us posted!

Side note, need to grab some foam for the yellow bird prototype...now to find the time to head to the Art shop...sheesh!
Mar 05, 2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Sounds good ttabbal! Looks like your getting there even with the issues! Yes the flat bit on motor shafts are wonderful to have keeping savers/adapters in place. I've tapped one before and it's not difficult being soft aluminum...lol! Remember after tapping to knock off any burs hiding inside the prop saver. Here's a little tip tho...if using prop adapters, it's always good to tap them down onto a table...sometimes when they drill the hole into the adapter for the motor shaft, there are some burs way way down that hole. I've found several like this. I just tap, then close my eyes and give a hard blow..HAHA!

As for rates....what Tx you using? Go with low rates and lots of expo for the first flight. Just concentrate on flying circles and being able to turn. Once your comfortable, you can reduce the expo and later increase the rates for more throw. Either way...for the maiden, launch the plane and just use small stick movements to see how it reacts. Then move the sticks enough to get it flying well. If it's hard to control, land it and adjust the rates/expo and launch again! It flies...so just custom it to suit the thumbs. One lesson I learnt from maidens is to never risk it when it flies and the rates are too high! Nowadays I immediately land, adjust and fly again.

Keep us posted!

Side note, need to grab some foam for the yellow bird prototype...now to find the time to head to the Art shop...sheesh!
My test flying is on hold for a while ,we got 5 inches of snow today so far and supose to get 5 more. I am looking forward to spring this year ,winter fells like it lasts forever here. joe
Mar 05, 2013, 08:56 PM
Quote:

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the tips! Now if I can remember where my tap and die set wound up. .....

Tx is a 9x with er9x firmware. I'll set up rates on a 3 way switch so I can adjust up in flight and have it dialed down pretty low for the launch. I haven't done much with expo, but know how to configure it, so I'll get it going. I'm really looking forward to getting it in the air. Just don't want to rush and forget something obvious.
Mar 05, 2013, 09:04 PM
Good luck on the maiden ttabbal ! joe
Mar 05, 2013, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a great plan and all is going well prior to maiden! Best of luck and let is know how it goes!

Joe! Wow 5"!! Over here it doesn't snow...but it melts before it reaches...HAHA! Rains here have let up and it's getting Hott! But darn wind is blowing crazy with unpredictable gusts!
Guess it's better than asteroids! Gotta feel sad for the Russians that experienced it....bugger...hard to imagine looking out the window watching a trial plume of smoke in the sky...then suddenly large rocks come crashing and a huge sonic Boom!!

Ended up finishing my v3 tricopter, tidying up my quad and prob prepare for a Bicopter build once I can sneak the expenditure past Home Affairs...LOL!!
Apr 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
Tim
Maiden my Angry Bird today and had a hard time turning the plane with elevon.
Not sure what the problem may be. It was a bit windy, not sure if that and not use thes the problem.
Brought the plane down and took out some throw and it flew better.

Do you think it will fly on rudder and elevator only and not use elevon?
Thanks
Apr 28, 2013, 06:11 AM
lv2soar, congrats on your Angry bird flight! As long as it took to the air, thats half the battle won...lol! Yes you would need to reduce the rates and up the expos on her as the control surfaces are large and with the short body span, can get twitchy and over controlled causing stalls. As you mentioned, when you reduce throws it got better. Pump up the expos and use tiny movements for the elevons and rudder till your used to her. Then slowly reduce when your ready.

Just rudder and elevator? Not possible as it doesn't have any dihedral which helps lateral stability. You will have a hard time leveling her when she starts to tip left/right. Over throw the rudder and like all planes, will nose dive into a stall.

Try again with a little nose heavy set up. That way it won't over react with pitchyness issues. Then adjust the weight back a little till you have better control. Another option is to use different holes on the servo arms and control horns to reduce throws. But I'm always lazy and set them via my Tx...lol!
I also use rudder with bank and yank elevons. Rudder helps to kick the butt around before it stalls out.

Hope that helps. lemme know if there is anything else.
Apr 28, 2013, 04:42 PM

My Angry Bird

My Angry Bird copied from the crazy ball picture Nose and head feathers are held on with magnets so when i land and the bird rolls they fall off kind of like the game.

Quick Reply