Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 14, 2013, 04:57 AM
HI Tim,
Thanks for the comments!
The wingspan is the same, I may try a slightly larger prop when the ones Ive ordered finally turn up. Ive already tried the maneuvers you suggested - if you look closely at the photos you can see that Ive included two pieces of carbon rod at the nose/beak section. This was after I was too slow in pulling out of a dive.......
The weather is not so good at the moment and after getting snow in the motor I decided to wait before attempting any video. I also want to keep the bird in one piece until I have a chance to show it to my students at the "Everything that flies"
after- school club that I have.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 08:42 AM
@Tech Teacher
Always welcome! Brought a smile to my face knowing you attempted the same maneuver I did with pretty much similar fates...
Will wait for the video once you have the moment for it. And that after-school club is a great thing to be involved in especially with kids. Appreciate what your doing for them.
"Everything that flies" ...I like that! You could throw butter out the window or across the field and call it a 'Butterfly'??
Jan 14, 2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Teacher
HI Tim,
Thanks for the comments!
The wingspan is the same, I may try a slightly larger prop when the ones Ive ordered finally turn up. Ive already tried the maneuvers you suggested - if you look closely at the photos you can see that Ive included two pieces of carbon rod at the nose/beak section. This was after I was too slow in pulling out of a dive.......
The weather is not so good at the moment and after getting snow in the motor I decided to wait before attempting any video. I also want to keep the bird in one piece until I have a chance to show it to my students at the "Everything that flies"
after- school club that I have.
Great to hear you are planting the flying seed into the youngs minds in Germany ,I had a teacher do the same to me when young about building new homes and its been a great job for 30 years.We have the AMA helping to teach the kids here with no fees to join the AMA till you are 19 and many kids have joined since they offered it. joe
Jan 15, 2013, 12:41 PM

Baby Angry Bird

Heres a 12 inch glider version of Angry Bird that I made for my students (5. and 6. grade) that they can copy. I was thinking of making another copy and putting a 35W motor on it. One 4,5 g servo for the rudder and one servo in the middle to move both ailerons. I have to work out the total weight and see if I can get the CG right..........
Jan 15, 2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Heres a 12 inch glider version of Angry Bird that I made for my students (5. and 6. grade) that they can copy. I was thinking of making another copy and putting a 35W motor on it. One 4,5 g servo for the rudder and one servo in the middle to move both ailerons. I have to work out the total weight and see if I can get the CG right..........
Alot of free paper airplanes here tech teacher. http://www.theonlinepaperairplanemuseum.com/ . For sighning up free to fiddlers green they give you 3 free downloads of anything they sell. http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/
Jan 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the links. Have signed up for Fiddlers Green and downloaded 3 free models. I have a large number of books about making paper (flying) planes. If the Fiddlers Green models are not to difficult for my students to make Ill include them in my lessons.
Jan 15, 2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the links. Have signed up for Fiddlers Green and downloaded 3 free models. I have a large number of books about making paper (flying) planes. If the Fiddlers Green models are not to difficult for my students to make Ill include them in my lessons.
Anything to keep little hands busy Teacher .My little guy has put together a couple fiddelers green models and still plays with them. They give out free downloads from time to time so you should get some more free ones. Have fun joe
Jan 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
Your doing a great job and applaud your efforts with your students! I'm sure the smiles on their faces when they finally chuck their planes is a reward thats priceless...and it doesn't even matter if it didn't fly far! The fun they get when achieving something they start with is huge for young children. Gives them confidence and responsibility! I like the chuck glider Angry Bird! Here's a thought tho... you could make the upper fuse where the rear of the beak ends at the LE of the wing section (like I have on mine) then cut some foam in a triangle, bend it and make a slot so that it slots into the top fuse as well as the wing. The whole beak is 2 triangles that slot onto the main body. That can also act as weight to the nose end of the plane.
You could even make those chuck Birds and get the kids to throw them into a mock stack of pillars and platforms with foam pigs!! Who can knock off the most pigs wins!! Or maybe sling shot launched at the target.

I've been playing around with this beak idea for another version and probably a pusher, but the COG will be critical for a good flight.

Fiddlers Green....yes....thanks for bringing that up Joe! They have great stuff and will entertain kids for a long time! Heck! It even entertains me!! They are so lucky to have such activities in school. Back when I was a student, it never existed and RC flying was something elite and expensive. Simple Balsa chuckies were available and I did have tons of them. I also recall small thin foamed profile warbird chuckies with little plastic props on them......The P40 was my fav!

Keep up the enthusiasm and you are an inspiration to those children. They may not realize it, but such activities will play a part in their whole growing up process. And you were part of it! Great!
Last edited by timatworksg; Jan 15, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Jan 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
Flew the Bird this afternoon - the last part of the video show the difference after changing the prop from GWS EP 6x3.0 to GWS EP 8x4.3 (my last one).
Now waiting for new props ...

Angry Bird 1 (1 min 16 sec)
Jan 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
Ha Ha the kids were having a blast and i could tell the difference with the 8x4.3 prop ,flew alot better. Hey Teck Teacher I'am sighned up to the German forums for a couple years now and E-mail back and forth with Jurgen Be . He is a great builder using foam and i have learned much from watching his builds. Here is Jurgen flying his slowly .http://www.rcmovie.de/video/c7968f26dfa4088cc84c
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Jan 16, 2013, 07:29 PM
I so thoroughly enjoyed that! Not just watching a creation fly way out in Germany but the laughter and smiles on those childrens faces! You did a great job a bridging a gap with Educators and kids through a fun filled hobby!

Yes the 8" prop did way better and had more lift and power! Loved that Angry Bird swoop through the crowd...HAHA! Damn! That prop flowing through Depron sounds awesome...gotta love that vibrating noise ! I'll see what I can do with more iterations of the birds! If the kids love it...I am inspired to try!
How did the beak get chipped? Nose touch to ground control?? hehe! Damn Pigs! They win this round!!

Second Joe's response on Jurgen. He has really nice builds! I like how he takes Depron and shapes them through bending or sanding. Something I'm trying to perfect. Lots of thought goes into his builds which end up being simple and extremely effectively beautiful..(mouthful**)
Jan 17, 2013, 04:46 AM
Glad you liked the video. The student working the camera stopped filming just before the bird hit the ground.
I have just found the following site:
http://blog.yam.com/rcflying/article/51225528
I willlook at it later when I have more time and use Google Translate to work out whats on there.
Jan 17, 2013, 06:02 AM
Awww...and we missed the best part! LOL....

You can find his thread here :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1144798

he makes wonderful fatty toon planes! I did his F18 and it flew great! I may re-visit his F18 again...my last one had to sacrifice the innards.
Mar 03, 2013, 12:25 PM
Finally got some time to get back to building. I decided I need to get the bird going. With the paint issue from the first one, I decided to paint before electronics this time. Here's a pic, I don't think I'm much of a painter, but I like it.

Now on to getting controls installed.
Mar 03, 2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
Finally got some time to get back to building. I decided I need to get the bird going. With the paint issue from the first one, I decided to paint before electronics this time. Here's a pic, I don't think I'm much of a painter, but I like it.

Now on to getting controls installed.
I think its looks great ,i cheat and buy 1/4 inch striping tape from my local hobby shop. If i have to go around tight curves i cut the 1/4 into 1/8 and the go around curves pressing down every inch or so. Looks great now we need to see flight video. joe

Quick Reply