Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
ttabbal I have been trying different kinds of markers and paints .Walmart sells apple barrel acrylic paints in small tubes for a couple bucks but i found some elmers paint sticks that look like markers there to. They work good and the colors are bright but after you do a open area you have to rub it in with your finger .You can see on the red and yellow side where i rubbed it inwith my finger for a better look. Iam liking the elmers paint stcks so far and you can even paint over clear tape with them. joe
Thanks for the tips Joe. Do you use gloves or does the paint wash off your hands well?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
Thanks for the tips Joe. Do you use gloves or does the paint wash off your hands well?
lol i think it washes off ,i went from painting my plane straight out to fixing a broken fence post and did not wash up. The new hole was narrow so i was scouping dirt out by hand so after i was done i washed up and no paint left on them. lol Its water based paint so i think it was the water and not the dirt that took it off. lmao joe
Nov 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
:banghead:

Well, I guess krylon fusion melts mpf.. It worked fine with epp so I didn't consider that it might be a problem. Not sure how bad yet, but I suspect I'll be starting over. Sigh.....
Nov 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
:banghead:

Well, I guess krylon fusion melts mpf.. It worked fine with epp so I didn't consider that it might be a problem. Not sure how bad yet, but I suspect I'll be starting over. Sigh.....
Sorry to here that, i had heard it was good on depron too but i think they said to hold the can far away when spraying it.
Nov 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
Sorry to here that, i had heard it was good on depron too but i think they said to hold the can far away when spraying it.
Yeah, I had it back a ways... It melted about half the foam thickness, so I'm going to have to pull the hard parts and start over with new foam
Nov 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi guys, just got back home...phew! Mountain air makes you wanna sleep more...loL! Next time I head there, I wanna slope soar!

Anyways, ttabbal, aww...sorry to hear about that too! EPP tends to take a fair bit of paints well. I stick with foam safe type acrylic sprays which are available at my LHS for EPP, sometimes markers if I'm lazy. Also Tamiya water based acrylics or similar for artistic use. Otherwise it's just colored packing tape on depron or artboard type foams. Tapes don't stick well to EPP. Stick to it....and we'll be patient for the rebuild!

Now that I'm back...it's back to work....urm....building
Nov 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
I found water based spray cans at michals craft store cheap but you cant use any stripping tape on it because it will peel the paint off with it.My slowly is sprayed with it. joe
Jan 02, 2013, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg
Gonna try a micro 12"ws using my old defunct SU UMX guts which were ripped out some time back. Just need to figure out the bracing and stiffening of the whole plane. Using 3mm EPP so pics will follow if all goes well!!
Did it not go well or didn't you have the time? Sounds like a neat idea.

scrubs
Jan 02, 2013, 10:45 PM
Hi scrubs. Firstly a Happy New Year 2013 to you and all here! Urm,,,time was the factor. Was in and out of the country for a project, then decided to dedicate the December 2012 month to the kids being the school vacation month. Only flying I did was with my Alula SAL at a nearby field.

Basically a long break. But slowly getting back as I took the moment to do some home DIY and well, please the stock holders of the hobby (aka wife and family...HAHA) I do intend to make the micro. I'm sure it'll work. I already cut the parts out in 3mm EPP. Just a case of starting it in between all the other stuff. Will update here for sure as I wanna try the Yellow Bird.

Sorry if things are slow. Such is life and the hobby. Till then.
Jan 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
Here are a few photos of my Angry Bird.
Specs: Dymond al2028 1400kV 90W
Dymond 18A Esc
9g Servos
Lipo 3S 20C 600 mA/h
PropGWS EP 6x30
CG 5 inches/ 12.7 cm from tip of beak
Rx Spectrum AR400
Tx " DX6i
Self adhesive vinyl used for the design
50% Expo all controls
Weight with Lipo 210g

A great Flyer, from slow to very fast , tight loops - one of my best planes!
Thanks for the plans Tim!
Jan 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Teacher
Dymond 18A Esc
9g Servos
Lipo 3S 20C 600 mA/h
PropGWS EP 6x30
Rx Spectrum AR400
Tx " DX6i
50% Expo all controls
Weight with Lipo 210g

Nice looking bird and the vinyl realy make's the colors pop. joe
Jan 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Teacher
Dymond 18A Esc
9g Servos
Lipo 3S 20C 600 mA/h
PropGWS EP 6x30
Rx Spectrum AR400
Tx " DX6i
50% Expo all controls
Weight with Lipo 210g

That looks a beauty! Great job! Agree, the vinyl makes it look really slick! And nice AUW even! Did you do the same wingspan or enlarged a little? Glad that you had fun with it! It'll loop tight and with some throttle play you could try to pull off 3-4 loops in succession! IF your outdoors...take her vertical up, cut the throttle and dive down spinning! Pull up at the last minute....hehe...kinda like the Angry Bird Bomb dive HAHA! I've only kissed the dirt twice with that but no serious damage thankfully...phew.

Any video?

Once again...great Job! Tim
Jan 13, 2013, 09:33 PM
On a side note....the micro is on hold abit till I finish off my 'Wad For' build. Then it's clear the micro and then attack a Great Planes Balsa kit for a friend! Finally...a chance to work with the ole Balsa!...Oh...and I have the Flu too....sheesh!
Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg
On a side note....the micro is on hold abit till I finish off my 'Wad For' build. Then it's clear the micro and then attack a Great Planes Balsa kit for a friend! Finally...a chance to work with the ole Balsa!...Oh...and I have the Flu too....sheesh!
Balsa ! glad to see you comming back to the dark side. lol Hope your holidays went well Tim iam glad they are over so i can get back to building. Santa brought me a fun cub so i will be bashing it soon. joe
Jan 14, 2013, 12:54 AM
LOL....yup Joe! I am heading to the dark side. The holidays were great! Hope yours went well too! Over here the kids are back to school and like you,..time for me to build again!
If all goes well, depending on another flying partner of mine, I may end up flying Engine powered planes!! It's one area I didn't fully experience and it'll make a nice round up of RC flying adventures when and If I do. Last I built anything with balsa were those rubber powered dihedral planes! I miss the hand crank drills for turning the bands...Oh! And also my P40 Cox glow plug CTL which I had when I was 8yrs old!

I'll still have a few foamies around for those other days...but when and if it happens...the Hanger will get changed abit. So it's probably a slope soarer, my quad, one or two foamies, my micros, and the engines!! HAHA!

Quick Reply