Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg
Hi ttabbal,

Glad the plans worked out fine...phew!..lol,
Is the motor your using the 2300kv brushless? If so, it should be no problem as long as you don't overglue (if using hot glue) and don't have too many layers. Small doublers shaped like the beak on both sides should be good to strengthen the front area, If your using Hot glue, just a line running down the seam of the fuse and wing all around would suffice. If not, UHU Por is perfect!

Build light is the key. I doubt you would get higher than 250g AUW. 5g servos all around are a lighter option, or mix it up (5g rudder, 9g Elevons or 9g rudder - 5g elevons). Let us know how it goes! You can post here if you need any help!

As for the radio, I use a DX8 and chose Elevon Wing type with normal rudder. Elevon servos go into Aileron and Elevator in the Rx (use channel reversing to get them going the right way. If all else fails, switch the servos at the Rx...I always get them mixed up!) Rudder servo is to rudder on Rx. If you don't have a Programmable Tx, a V-tail mixer will do. If your using a DX6i, there is Elevon wing type but the throws are pathetic..lol! You would have to use both it's mixes to extend the throws. A search on the Radio section will throw this up for sure!

Best of Luck and awaiting to see one from across the pond!
When i grow up i want the dx8 ,lol i have two of the first dx7 and so far even tho they are a pain to program i get it figured out with time. I have heard by flying buddy's the dx8 is more programable friendly but with two dx7's i can fly most of my planes and iam to cheap to buy the 8 . joe
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tips timatworksg! I'll aim for light and probably order a couple of those 24g motors anyway as they look like a good choice for foamies. Then if the one I have is underpowered, I can just swap it out for the other one.

For the radio, I'm on a 9x, and know how to set up the elevon mix as I've done flying wings. So that's good to go. What's going to be new is rudder on the other stick with elevons on the right.. Guess I need to fire up the sim. :-)
Nov 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
@Joe : "When I grow up...." HAHA! Never thought about that...hmm. IF I grow up, I would like a Dx18!! LOL! Before I suicided to the Dx8..hehe...I was thinking of the newer Dx7s which is so much similar and offers all I need and more at less the cost of the Dx8. Only thing that held me back was that darn backlight! I modded my Dx6i with a backlight and it looked so much the part. Dx7s has no light,,,which detered me off really.

If anyone is interested in the Dx6i backlight mod using the HK Turnigy LED backlight kit here's my Tute from my Heli Days :
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=339313

@ttabbal
No probs. There are even more tips, I am sure others have which may even be better. I'm still learning as I crash....urm build. But one thing I learnt from RCG is light is slow which is what I was after before I started. I used to dump glue more so for fear of something falling off. Now I just use minimal where it's really needed and not the whole world! HAHA!
Those 24g motors are superb! LIght in weight and perfect for foamies giving lots of power at low Amps! Great value too! Personally I prefer the 1500kv's as they are a great compromise between the 1300kv and 1700kv variants. I also use the stick mounts which make swapping these motors easier.
9x??!! Awesome....so no probs for you there also with Elevons..lol! Understand the dumb thumb syndrome. I started with rudders, then went on a pusher Jet, wings, fast flyer frenzy and took a break from 3D and 3channel planes. Then went back and took awhile to have nice rudder control again. Now I fly bank and yank as well as 3D and for relaxation, slow 3 channel flyers! Fun to mix them in. Keeps the mind active and alive...!
You could bank and yank the Bird...but with the rudder you will have better slow flight and high alpha control.
Aside from that..with the motor you intend to use with modelplanefoam, which is stiffer than EPP,....your gonna have a zoomer!! The BIrd can zip around fast too! Go low rates and when your ready...get vertical and choose one Aileron input letting it corkscrew into the sky!!

Tim
Nov 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg
@Joe : "When I grow up...." HAHA! Never thought about that...hmm. IF I grow up, I would like a Dx18!! LOL! Before I suicided to the Dx8..hehe...I was thinking of the newer Dx7s which is so much similar and offers all I need and more at less the cost of the Dx8. Only thing that held me back was that darn backlight! I modded my Dx6i with a backlight and it looked so much the part. Dx7s has no light,,,which detered me off really.

If anyone is interested in the Dx6i backlight mod using the HK Turnigy LED backlight kit here's my Tute from my Heli Days :
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=339313

@ttabbal
No probs. There are even more tips, I am sure others have which may even be better. I'm still learning as I crash....urm build. But one thing I learnt from RCG is light is slow which is what I was after before I started. I used to dump glue more so for fear of something falling off. Now I just use minimal where it's really needed and not the whole world! HAHA!
Those 24g motors are superb! LIght in weight and perfect for foamies giving lots of power at low Amps! Great value too! Personally I prefer the 1500kv's as they are a great compromise between the 1300kv and 1700kv variants. I also use the stick mounts which make swapping these motors easier.
9x??!! Awesome....so no probs for you there also with Elevons..lol! Understand the dumb thumb syndrome. I started with rudders, then went on a pusher Jet, wings, fast flyer frenzy and took a break from 3D and 3channel planes. Then went back and took awhile to have nice rudder control again. Now I fly bank and yank as well as 3D and for relaxation, slow 3 channel flyers! Fun to mix them in. Keeps the mind active and alive...!
You could bank and yank the Bird...but with the rudder you will have better slow flight and high alpha control.
Aside from that..with the motor you intend to use with modelplanefoam, which is stiffer than EPP,....your gonna have a zoomer!! The BIrd can zip around fast too! Go low rates and when your ready...get vertical and choose one Aileron input letting it corkscrew into the sky!!

Tim
I would like the 18 also but iam to cheap . I bought my first dx7 when they first came out the other one i built a guys wing for it. I picked up a dx 6 park flyer only transmitter and reciever in a swap also but its collecting dust .I will donate the park flyer transmitter soon to a young sprite at the indoor school i fly at and i hope he will use it . When i look at thos big transmitters i think to myself how much balsa and airplane parts i could buy with that money. I did breakdown and buy 2300 sanyo nimph packs for both of my dx7's and they are good all day for flying. joe
Nov 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Sounds like the 1500kv motors are a good way to go from reviews there and here. I'll order some and some 8x4 props. Need some more little servos too..

Tim, if you get a chance, what are your control surface deflection amounts? I'll probably set up a dual rate switch but need a good starting point.

Oh, and any reflex? Seems like these foamies like a little up reflex at neutral to keep them in the air.
Nov 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Tim - I have seen your thread on the DX6i backlight mod and am going to do the same to mine. I am wanting to get a DX7s or DX8 and haven't decided yet. It is still the hundred dollar question

Kman
Nov 18, 2012, 01:24 PM
I have been buying my motors /servos and other goodys from here for a while now and i get great shipping time with them ,plus unlike hobby king i get all my stuff . http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ess-motor.html
Nov 18, 2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
I have been buying my motors /servos and other goodys from here for a while now and i get great shipping time with them ,plus unlike hobby king i get all my stuff . http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...ess-motor.html
Would you recommend a motor from them that has similar properties? I've never had problems from hk either, but I have been meaning to try valuehobby as well.
Nov 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have been using e-max2822's in most of my planes and they have worked well. I just bought their 2812 and have not run it yet but it should fly just as good.You can also buy from don at strong motors ,i use his bluewonder motors and they are good at 10 bucks a piece . http://www.strongrcmotors.com/Motors.htm I have a 1700 kv strongrcmotor in my magnum flying with 1300 3cell pack and it will hover . joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 18, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Nov 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
OK, lemme try and get all of this in...LOL

@kman24:
That tute was done during the Heli days when the Dx6i was the only thing I could afford. The price difference is alot between models. The main reason why I choose Spektrum was largely due to the available orange Rx's that are light, small and most importantly, cheap I would prefer Futaba (since I grew up with that from my Tamiya days), but since heading into Foamies and inclining to build small, the option to head to DSM2/X was obvious for me. The thought of switching is at the back of my head really. Perhaps when I loose my nearby flying field to development, scaling down the hanger, I just may switch...or have 2 different systems?...hehe! Just thoughts for now.

@Joe:
As hobbyist, I guess the dream of a dream system is always there. Who knows, someday. But I agree with cheap! If it gets the job done...what the heck! I wanted to experiment more with mixes and the Dx6i was limited especially if I wanted seperate canards with elevons, due to the small throws from the wing type. Also, I have a tri and quad copter and those extra servos come in handy for stuff like camera control, bomb drops, spy cams, unhooking bras.... oops!

@ttabbal:
I never measure deflection...lol! I'm more set for mild, throw in air, go one round, land and re-set if needed..lol! On my DX8 I have Ailerons, Elevator & Rudder all set at (Rate:65/65 Expo:40/40). Normally for me, if my plane has large control surfaces, I set rates around the 65-50 mark with expo at 50 for maidens. Once all the niggles are mostly addressed, I set up so I can have good stable control for normal flight with enough throws for aerobatics. I flip the switch and go full rates (100%) with little expo when I'm feeling crazy. Mostly on loops as the bird will loop tightly and you can loop 3-4 times in succession with some throttle pumping!
Hope that helps. Lemme know. And Oh yeah....get her high, Up the throttle, hold full rudder and let the bird spin around in a tight circle with a little elevator for level control..lol!

As for the motors, I mostly order my stuff from HK.
The 1300kv variant with GWS 9050 props, have great thrust but unless your plane has a ratio of 1:7 at least, punching out of problems are a little mushy. I like cruising at a little below or at half throttle with sufficient height. The 1700kv is great for mini wings, light weight pushers and deltas. I have built an EPP wing using this motor on a 2s 850mah and fly great. But I had to keep the props to 8" or 7". Up the lipo to 3s and I need 7" props as it gets warm. Thats my experience and others may have different views, but the 1500kv works great for aerobatic flyers. My 3D foamies with 30"ws and 8-10mm EPP profiles all run the 1500kvs. With Joe's magnum, he has a larger capacity 2s which pumps decent amount of power to the motor. So alot has to do with the design and build too! But we scratchbuild...and experimentation is always the fun part.
I have a flying buddy who is just lost for words and will never understand why I can build something today, fly it and throw it away tomorrow..LOL! Aeromodeling is so much more fun that flying.

Now I hope I got everyone...loL! I guess I should grab a vid of the Bird in stunt mode...with my limited stunt flying ability...HAHA! Hopefully it doesnt shower as it's NE moonsoon here and I head to Indonesia for a project for 4days tomorrow onwards. Back on friday so lets see what I can do today!

Till then, lemme know any other feedback and I'll help with all the limited knowledge I have HAHAH!
Nov 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup
I have been using e-max2822's in most of my planes and they have worked well. I just bought their 2812 and have not run it yet but it should fly just as good.You can also buy from don at strong motors ,i use his bluewonder motors and they are good at 10 bucks a piece . http://www.strongrcmotors.com/Motors.htm I have a 1700 kv strongrcmotor in my magnum flying with 1300 3cell pack and it will hover . joe

I use the 2812s on a few planes. They are great motors, but seem like they would be major overkill for this angry bird plane. The blue wonder motors from Strong look like a direct replacement for the HK motors, which is an interesting option. I'm going to give the little 20g hextronic a try, when I do order some more parts, I'll try out the vendors you mentioned. It's nice to have options. I wish Strong had some props, it would be nice to order everything in one shipment, saves shipping costs.

For the bird, I've got the control surfaces hinged up, need to add control horns still.. Spars installed.. The glue didn't end up looking as nice as I would have liked over them, but owell. So some paint and glue and I'll be ready for electronics.

First build with model plane foam, nice stuff to work with.
Last edited by ttabbal; Nov 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Nov 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
I use the 2812s on a few planes. They are great motors, but seem like they would be major overkill for this angry bird plane. The blue wonder motors from Strong look like a direct replacement for the HK motors, which is an interesting option. I'm going to give the little 20g hextronic a try, when I do order some more parts, I'll try out the vendors you mentioned. It's nice to have options. I wish Strong had some props, it would be nice to order everything in one shipment, saves shipping costs.

For the bird, I've got the control surfaces hinged up, need to add control horns still.. Spars installed.. The glue didn't end up looking as nice as I would have liked over them, but owell. So some paint and glue and I'll be ready for electronics.

First build with model plane foam, nice stuff to work with.
Yea iam the last person to ask about what size motor to use .I know were where to find good deals with fast shipping but i have flown mostly nitro and gas for 30 years.
Nov 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Typing this in Cold Mountain weather...lol! In Indonesia, Lake Toba, more for work on a small project.

ttabbal, looking good on the build with the progress. Glue on foam took me some time to expertly adhere too...pardon the pun
If you can grab some picks of your progress it would be great. Also a maiden vid would be awesome. I'm sure that 20g high Kv motor would work. It'll be a speedster for sure! Go bank and yank with the bird since your used to wings. Feed in rudder when your comfortable.

When I get back I hope to put up a new vid with the birds aerobatic capability. Till then, keep the post coming in. And Thanks again!
Nov 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Just a couple in progress pics. Getting ready for electronics...
Nov 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
ttabbal I have been trying different kinds of markers and paints .Walmart sells apple barrel acrylic paints in small bottles for a couple bucks but i found some elmers paint sticks that look like markers there to. They work good and the colors are bright but after you do a open area you have to rub it in with your finger .You can see on the red and yellow side where i rubbed it inwith my finger for a better look. Iam liking the elmers paint stcks so far and you can even paint over clear tape with them. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply