Jun 03, 2012, 11:37 AM
Cool

Angry Bird Scratchbuild-Maiden-FUN!-Plans Added!!

Greetings everyone!
Starting this thread to Log my Angry Bird foamies as they develop.

Here's my rendition of the Angry Bird flying foamie. Didn't take the prop-in-slot approach as I wanted the look to be as close to the original cartoon drawings. And the Angry birds aren't all that circular anyways. Made the wings swept back to provide some delta like speed yet enough drag to allow slow flight. The body is tall in height, but made the little feather cutaways to reduce as much surface drag and floppiness as much as possible. So in the end, settled for something that works and works great! Lots of thanks go to RCG as it gave me a wealth of information and education. The Piyak, PBF designs that thought me alot on slow flight foam.

In a nutshell - 18" WS - 21" Length. Rudder is 11" tall by 5" wide and cut to an abstract shape of the Angry Bird Tail. Elevons are 3 1/4" and swept forward at the wing tips for a little authority. The Fuse is cut with a slot and slid over the main wing with Hot Glue holding it. Top of fuse is 8 1/2" tall and bottom fuse is 5" wide. EPP 8mm is used throughout with x2 2.5mm CF rods for stiffening the wing. Spray cans for paint. The eyes are 3mm cut outs, painted and stuck on with UHU Por. Powered by a Hex 24g 1700kv - 10A hobbywing ESC - x2 8.5g Emax servos for Elevons - x1 5g Hextronic for Rudder. HK orange 6ch RX with box removed. GWS 8040 prop. I ran the Bird with 2S 850mah packs. AUW with the lipo's is 210g max. With the plane shaped this way I masked and painted the Angry Bird within the perimeter of the whole plane.
No twisty issues and the bird flew just like my Pi-yak! FUN! COG is around 5" - 5 1/2" from the apex tip of the main wing section. The main wing section is 17 1/2" long from apex to TE curve of elevons. It all went together TLAR as I just drew out what worked onto a large sheet of paper as stencil, traced onto the EPP and just went with the flow. Like my Pi-Yak, electronics are dumped forward using the Lipo to balance the plane out.

Here's some pics and the Vid from the Maiden. It's a Blast to fly!! Everyone that passes by would smile and chuckle muttering "Angry Bird!!" Heck...they have them on mugs, shoes, flip-flops, shirts, even an RC Balloon! Time I had one!!

Hope you enjoy it. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Plans have been added at post#7
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...50&postcount=7

Further developments will be a micro version and an attempt at the Yellow Bird. Soon to come! Stay Tuned.

Cheers : Tim

Scratchbuilt Angry Bird Foamie Maiden (5 min 15 sec)
Last edited by timatworksg; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Added Plans! & Update
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2012, 01:32 PM
What goes up must come down..
suscribe LOL
Jun 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
Gonna try a micro 12"ws using my old defunct SU UMX guts which were ripped out some time back. Just need to figure out the bracing and stiffening of the whole plane. Using 3mm EPP so pics will follow if all goes well!!
Jun 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Cog?
Jun 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
COG is around 5" - 5 1/2" from the apex tip of the main wing section, that would be the sharp point of the yellow beak. In the vid thats where my COG is. If you look at the side view pic, the lipo is lined up forward with the black velcro horizontally. Worked for me...but I am sure a little forward will do well. During flights, it has the tendency to pitch up being tail heavy, but nothing serious which is always good for planes like these flying in High A which I like to fly them in.

Which is why the electronics are way forward and placed so that a minimum 2s 800mah to 3s 450mah lipo could be used to balance out. With space below...I have alot of area to place the lipo to find the sweet spot.

On a side note, I will be attempting to translate my freehand drawings to make plans for anyone who wishes to try. Gimme some time as this will be my first so will be back here with something for all.

Cheers
Jun 04, 2012, 10:31 PM
Nice.
Nov 14, 2012, 11:35 PM
Firstly, apologies for the long time coming of some plans. So much has happened and got distracted..lol. I managed to draft these up so please bear with me on it as it's my first time and still learning the whole plans curve. If there are any issues do let me know, but they should work...i hope**

Some things to note tho. The wing slot on the plans is 10mm wide, adjust to suit for 9mm or whatever thickness you may wish to try. The cut away space for the motor is a guide and should be adjusted to cover your motors diameter. I have a slot on the wing panel for use of the plastic stick mounts, so cut the slots length accordingly.

All hinges are hot glue and 3mm CF Rods for stiffening only on the wing panel. The aim is to build light so she'll flip-flop all over. I placed all electronics on left side and the lipo on the right. A little weight on the right side helps with torque. Large lipo's may effect lateral balance and the AUW of the plane. If you get torque prop down or use a smaller capacity lipo. Keep throws minimal and lots of expo at first till your used to her. Once comfortable, go high rates and have fun!

Everything else is pretty straight forward. 1700kv was used for my build, but a 1500kv BW is a good alternative and will work better with small sized 3s lipos!

Lastly, any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll help where I can! Hope the plans work...so revert of any issues and I'lll do my best to assist! Cheers and have fun!
Nov 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Just to add, for those who downloaded the plans and are giving it a shot, do lemme know if it prints out ok. First time making plans so it's a new step for me...!
Nov 16, 2012, 10:56 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Awesome Angry Bird! Thanks for sharing, I may have to try this one out over the coming winter

Kman
Nov 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
Ken's CAD Models
This is really cool and would make a great combat model for indoors. I like the idea of a UM version as well.

Ken
Nov 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks kman24 & dz1sfb! Hope the plans come out well.

It would make for a nice Kombat plane for indoors! I even thought of having an Angry Bird Dive bomb competition. Dive down and see who can pull out nearest to the ground..lol! Or even make some foam pigs and pillars/wood planks, etc and dive bomb into that! Something different?

Didn't have time to delve into the micro version, but I did draw out a reduced sized, down to 16" ws and some 3mm EPP. The UMX guts should work perfect. Prob with me is i get distracted with other builds I forget everything I started!

Have fun guys! Tim
Nov 17, 2012, 12:22 PM
I was just going to just build this winter but i think i will build this one for some gym flying soon. Thanks Tim ! joe
Nov 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Anytime Joe! Hope with plans work out well!

Since I started this thread on 'Angry Birds'...it kinda started the Angry Bird build in me...so I am looking into making the Yellow bird soon. Planning stages for now as I have a short trip I need to goto first. When I'm back I'll start work on it. Just a case of visuals to keep the look (or graphics) as close to the original, yet allow for good flight and aerobatics. Have some ideas, so till week after next, I'll post the progress. So far it's the yellow bird, delta-ish and hopefully a speeder. Tailess design is what I have in mind.

Actually, if you take the Red Bird's plans, scale it up large, with sufficient stiffening, have a Behemoth Black Fatty Bird slowly circling the gym..lol! Maybe round of the wings LE so you have less sweep back. Kinda like the air swimmer but in foam...hmmm.

I should grab a another vid of the Red Bird doing speed runs! IF you have a 1500kv BW....it'll have unlimited vertical and spin like a drill bit on a frenzy! Do tight circles with bank and yank and it'll zoom and zip! Lotsa Fun! Yes, it will work for combat!

Have fun guys...and do revert back on any progress if started! Till then, a micro and the yellow bird are on the paper.
Nov 18, 2012, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the plans. I used the letter size tiled plans and they worked fine. Got the foam cut out for it. Used modelplanefoam 6mm, so a bit thinner. Cutting is done, need to get cf spars and electronics. I have a hex 20gm motor I could use, would it be underpowered?

Is the radio programmed rudder/elevator or did you do an elevon mix in there as well?
Nov 18, 2012, 04:20 AM
Hi ttabbal,

Glad the plans worked out fine...phew!..lol,
Is the motor your using the 2300kv brushless? If so, it should be no problem as long as you don't overglue (if using hot glue) and don't have too many layers. Small doublers shaped like the beak on both sides should be good to strengthen the front area, If your using Hot glue, just a line running down the seam of the fuse and wing all around would suffice. If not, UHU Por is perfect!

Build light is the key. I doubt you would get higher than 250g AUW. 5g servos all around are a lighter option, or mix it up (5g rudder, 9g Elevons or 9g rudder - 5g elevons). Let us know how it goes! You can post here if you need any help!

As for the radio, I use a DX8 and chose Elevon Wing type with normal rudder. Elevon servos go into Aileron and Elevator in the Rx (use channel reversing to get them going the right way. If all else fails, switch the servos at the Rx...I always get them mixed up!) Rudder servo is to rudder on Rx. If you don't have a Programmable Tx, a V-tail mixer will do. If your using a DX6i, there is Elevon wing type but the throws are pathetic..lol! You would have to use both it's mixes to extend the throws. A search on the Radio section will throw this up for sure!

Best of Luck and awaiting to see one from across the pond!

Quick Reply