Ray Malmstrom's Mimi - RC Groups
Jun 02, 2012, 03:21 AM
Discussion

Ray Malmstrom's Mimi

Just test flew a little cutie this afternoon.

It's Ray Malmstrom's Mimi from the Septeember 1953 Aeromodeller.

No being brave enough for FF myself, it's got rudder/elevator.
To cope with the extra weight a scaled it up from 16" to 18" wingspan but it still seems ridiculously tiny.

Power, like the original is an ED 0.46 Baby - a lovely easy starting engine.

A pair of 5g servos tuck away under the wing and a Corona receiver and 150mAh Nimh squeeze into the hollowed "foot".

I expected a really tricky thing to fly, but it just flew out of my hand with just a bit of down trim needed (actually the ED "rips" it out of your hand as thrust exceeds weight by a fair margin).

I just used the rear mounted tank as I felt short test flights were best, but they are very short so I'll make tinplate one now that I know it flies.

Flight charactaristics are very amusing, almost addictive, as I had about 6 flights in the first session. The glide is fast, but not too brick-like and landings are an "a" over "t' tumbles.

Can recommend!

How about a few more or Malmstrom's oddities, they only take a few evenings work.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2012, 04:15 AM
That's really good Warren......I like it a lot.

I did build one of those back in the '50s when the plan came out in the Aeromodeller as a teenager. It had my Allbon Dart in it that made it a crazy thing, so that never lasted long.
I still remember I covered the wings with white heavy weight Modelspan, and painted the rest of it white.
Jun 02, 2012, 05:54 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Warren, I've been wanting to build a Martian for years, pure FF, but I never had a plan. Then, a couple of years ago, James Parry published a copy of the magazine plan/article and Derick Scott did me a tile-printable file, so we're getting nearer, especially after your positive experience and comments. I think Gossie's failure was probably just due to youth and inexperience. We've all been there...
Anyway a very nice Mimi. How much does it weigh?
PS: This would have made a great build log...
Jun 02, 2012, 08:08 AM
Martian?
Yes I did consider this one too.....and I do have another ED Baby!

Lots of further inpsiration on Colin Hutchinsons's site

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.h...ages/malm.html

These are a good cure for anyone taking their aeromodelling too seriously.

Combination of Outerzone and Hip Pocket can supply most of the plans.

You're right about the build log, but I never quite seem to get organised when the bug bites.
Jun 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
Lovely plane, I hope those servos dont get covered in too much oily goop!
Jun 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
Edubarca
Congratulations!!!! Beautiful model. Ray Malmstr÷m designs were and still are unique. Also, He was a wonderful guy. We were pen pals for several years and I have to admit that his teachings formed me as an aeromodeller. I really miss him. Let's have more of his designs!!!!
Jun 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
skumgummi dave
Warren B:

That sir is a real beauty. I'd like to build one at about 2x.

Dave-
Jun 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
I built a MIMI when first it was published but did not have a motor to put in it. When I did get my Frog 50, the model had already met its demise.
About 10 years ago I got a desire to build one for electric power. Not having the original plan available I drew it up as I remembered it (but with a built up fuselage).
The MoMo was the result. The local skeptics said it would never fly, but it is still going strong.
Jun 03, 2012, 02:21 PM
Wonderful little plane.

Just my cup of tea and is really begging me to build one.

Great job from just your memory John on the Momo.
At first glance I though it was the Mimi.

Chris
Jun 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
Ray Malmstrom's Creations were a tribute to the serendipity of model aviation and an approach which full size aviation would have benefitted from.( too many warplanes)
Looks like my Momo needs an update with Lipoly and brushless motor.
Jun 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
(chant mode on) build-off, BUILD-OFF, BUILD-OFF (chant mode off).... yay ideal
Push-up or Skyrida for me please! Or perhaps a Goldwinga? There again there is that chubby little float plane whose name I forget.....

Plenty of ideas on the Outerzone site
Last edited by GeeW; Jun 03, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Jun 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
HI John,
How circular this www thing is!
When I was thinking about the RC version of Mimi, I found a picture of your Momo and took it as evidense that it shoudl be possible.
A great effort from memory!

I've built a little tinplate tank for it now, so shoudl get several minutes. That should be enough to get into more trouble. Even on the 1 minute tank I managed to get far enough away to roll inverted with an over-cooked turn.

KK Phantom - the oily goop appears to get just about everywhere except the servos. Mainly stays above the wing. I've had these little servos in the goop path before, it doesn't seem to worry them.

GeeW - go ahead join in, lots to choose from as you say.
Jun 04, 2012, 12:18 PM
Warren B.

Congratulations,

Mimi was one of my dream. When I was young I was fascinated by all the designs of this strange modeller who, always, wore so "nice" bow ties.

Sometime ago I started the buillding of THE Mimi. Radio assisted and electrified. It's more easier to find an electric motor than an ED Bee, and if I had a Bee I will keep it in a vitrine

I try to reduce all the grams, so i loose a lot of time to find servos less than 2 grams I think I will finish my Mimi just after my summer holidays.

Bravo,

Bernard
Jun 04, 2012, 12:43 PM
Brokenenglish,

Maybe one day, the Martian and the Forray; with all those new small radio. I am thinking to jeopardise one of those small RTF

Ray always loyal to hisbow tie

Bernard
Jun 10, 2012, 07:51 PM
Flew again yesterday (with my Windbag - an odd flying session!).
Now with extended flying time with a new tin tank.
Really does fly surprisingly well.
Second flight I managed to disconnect the elevator on launch.
I don't think I've ever doen quite so many loops in one flight before.
But I managed to keep it within the field with lots of rudder waggling.
So next job is some pushrod retainers, "spring" is not enough!.

Checked the weight - a whopping 7 1/2 ounces.