Jun 02, 2012, 01:27 AM
Thread OP
Question

The thrust vectoring F18 90mm edf jet with 3d

I was reading this old post where people said edf jets are more or less not for 3d.
Yet this video i saw below clearly shows something i have not seen before.

F18 hovering ★thrust vectoring 90mmEDF★ (2 min 27 sec)

I did try to contact this person to ask what is the ratio for weight to thrust to get his edf to perform the way it is, which I thought was rather spectacular and what gear is it running. All I can work out is F18 90mm edf jets which it states on the title.

I really love this type of jet and want to build one similar to this using a F22 frame.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2012, 02:22 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Looks like it's a very lightly-built, very powerful jet. Based on how solidly it locks into high-alpha flight, I'd say it's either designed primarily to fly with its nose up or else it has some type of onboard three-axis gyro stabilization system (sort of like what multicopters use), or possibly a combination.

The thrust-to-weight ratio is obviously very high, but with the advances in power technology over the last couple years such things aren't really surprising. EDFs aren't the most efficient lifting devices out there, but they can certainly haul their own weight pretty well as this one demonstrates. Recently someone posted a video of an EDF-powered F-35 that was fully VTOL- and hover-capable, for example.

I recall seeing a video or two of some other extremely aerobatic thrust-vectored EDF jets. They were pretty big and the builder might have been from Italy. I'm not totally sure, but that's what I feel like I remember. If I'm inaccurate, my apologies to whoever actually made them.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Jun 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
Also this one, though not really true 3D capable, the video are worth watching -

SU-35 Simple Gyro-Stabilization! thread
Jun 02, 2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah, normal EDFs lose all control manouverability when the airspeed drops, but with thrust vectoring you don't need the control surfaces to steer so flying beyond the stall (3D) is quite possible - gyro stabilisation is the icing on the cake. Pretty soon we (the model flyers) will all be redundant - if the planes can figure out how to get to the flying patch without us it will be just like having a teenager. Don't wait up Dad, i'm go'in out see ya later!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 02, 2012, 03:29 PM
Suspended Account
apparently none of you guys have seen the 15+ thrust vectoring EDF's on banana hobby's website
Jun 02, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Well i have searched the net and youtube, have not found any other video of real thrust vectoring like the one i posted which is a scale jet not a cardboard foam thing with propellers.

I have seen the ones at Bananahobby.com but giving the reviews and being new to buying online i am not totally trusting, forgive me on that one. I really do love the airframes from them though the larger scale one of the mig 29 and f22 models look awesome.

Ive also watched most of Pete's youtube videos of the thrust vectoring edf's and none show what this guy does with his f18 90mm i posted. Which is what i want to do.
Jun 02, 2012, 07:32 PM
I make metal smaller.
Yeah, avoid bananahobby for now. They do have some nice airframes, so later on you can buy the foam only and stick good electronics in and have a nice plane. But their electronics and customer service sucks.
Jun 02, 2012, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
Its a real shame because i really tempted to get there airframes ;(

But after spending way to many hours on youtube searching for one of there planes doing 3d i actually did find someone with the giant scale mig 29 red version which Bananahobby.com sells.

SebArt MiG 29 flown by Voodoo! New! (3 min 58 sec)

Isn't it wonderful. Anyway i guess i will have to search somewhere else to buy it for now.

Quick Reply