Laser Cutting Service - Page 2 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 28, 2013, 12:44 AM
Designing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorama
Unfortunately, no. Mainly light ply, balsa and acrylic.
I was able to cut 1/8" aircraft plywood and 1/32" G10 pretty well once I upgraded to a 60W laser with improved optics. BTW, I started out with a 40W FSE hobby laser. I'm guessing that's what you have.

Best regards,
Brian
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2013, 03:21 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
johnorama's Avatar


Mar 01, 2013, 05:23 AM
No flying at the Tower
karikamiya's Avatar
fairly swag

what is it
Mar 01, 2013, 12:31 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
johnorama's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikamiya
fairly swag

what is it
It is an FPV rig...note the monitor in the lid. I produced the bottom acrylic cover which goes over other electronics. The owner sent me the chloroplast piece he was using and I used it as a template to laser cut this new piece. His HAM callsign is laser etched out and filled with an opaque white acrylic fill material.
Mar 27, 2013, 09:24 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
johnorama's Avatar
It's been awhile since I could safely say that the laser is open for business. I have moved to a new/better shop and the laser has a new power supply. Let me know if you need any cutting done.
Apr 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
Registered User
John,

Can you lazer cut thin ferrous metal sheets? I need to create a custom stator for a brushless motor. Stators are created from several layers of very thin (.5-1.0mm) metal. It's to thin and the inside corners are too tight a radius for me to cut on my cnc router table.

here is an example


E
Apr 11, 2013, 11:25 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
johnorama's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by STMPNGRND
John,

Can you lazer cut thin ferrous metal sheets? I need to create a custom stator for a brushless motor. Stators are created from several layers of very thin (.5-1.0mm) metal. It's to thin and the inside corners are too tight a radius for me to cut on my cnc router table.

here is an example


E
Sorry, no metals. sounds like a job for a water jet.
Apr 12, 2013, 11:08 AM
Designing something...
Can the stators be made from G10 or do they need to be made from a ferrous metal?

Regards,
Brian
Apr 13, 2013, 02:56 PM
It's ok to be white.
RCWorks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude
Can the stators be made from G10 or do they need to be made from a ferrous metal?

Regards,
Brian
Its a motor. Ferrous is a must...
Apr 15, 2013, 12:01 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Dbox's Avatar
I need these made out of 1.5mm G 10 as many as You can make.
PM me with Your price.
Yuri.Portland Oregon.
Apr 15, 2013, 11:39 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
johnorama's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
I need these made out of 1.5mm G 10 as many as You can make.
PM me with Your price.
Yuri.Portland Oregon.
G10 can't be cut with a laser. The epoxy can be corrosive and it tends to dissipate the heat too well to be cut. Same with carbon fiber. Sorry.
Apr 15, 2013, 03:34 PM
It's ok to be white.
RCWorks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
I need these made out of 1.5mm G 10 as many as You can make.
PM me with Your price.
Yuri.Portland Oregon.
Mill/Router time but mine is not ready yet.
Apr 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorama
G10 can't be cut with a laser. The epoxy can be corrosive and it tends to dissipate the heat too well to be cut. Same with carbon fiber. Sorry.
My laser will cut it. It's chars the crap out of it though, but it can be done. Router is definitely the way to go.
Apr 15, 2013, 04:02 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
DeadTom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
I need these made out of 1.5mm G 10 as many as You can make.
PM me with Your price.
Yuri.Portland Oregon.

I cut G10 and carbon fiber all the time along with many plastics and woods, but I was burned on the last 2 "jobs" from the RCGroup peeps and so you would have to send me the material up front before I cut anything for anyone.
If you are interested PM me and we will take this off of John's thread.
Apr 16, 2013, 12:34 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
johnorama's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom
I cut G10 and carbon fiber all the time along with many plastics and woods, but I was burned on the last 2 "jobs" from the RCGroup peeps and so you would have to send me the material up front before I cut anything for anyone.
If you are interested PM me and we will take this off of John's thread.
Tom has cut stuff for me. He does good work and I will vouch for him. But I wouldn't let him fly your aircraft inside a basketball gym...he never had any luck with that


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Laser Cutting Service johnorama Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 23 Jun 01, 2012 02:22 PM
Discussion Laser Cutting Services- Please post about yourselves here! cybercrxt CAD/CAM 7 May 01, 2012 08:33 PM
Question Laser cutting services that can use ModelCAD files StayQuiet CAD/CAM 4 Feb 27, 2012 01:17 PM
Link New Laser Cutting Service in Australia. Laser Cut Kits CAD/CAM 6 Oct 17, 2011 06:39 PM
Discussion Laser cutting service? dgfinch Electric Plane Talk 2 Oct 15, 2011 11:31 AM