May 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyzone Super Cub DSM -- did I fry my receiver?

Hello,

I think I already know the answer to this question ( ), but I'll ask anyway. I was fiddling around with my Super Cub and the battery underneath it. Even though the plug is "idiot proof," it is still possible to touch the terminals together without actually securing the plug. So as I was trying to plug it in underneath the plane, it looks like I may have touched the terminals together opposite of how they're supposed to be connected. As a result, I can't get any response from the plane from my remote and I can smell a faint "burned" smell in the receiver compartment. Does this mean the receiver is fubared?

I was hoping maybe someone would tell me there is a fuse in there or something? If not, please recommend a receiver. The radio I currently have is the Spektrum DX4e that came with the unit. Since I plan to upgrade to a DX6 or higher once I'm more experienced, I'd like to have a receiver that is compatible with those radios too. Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Spektrum-Ar600...8423124&sr=8-1

EDIT: After doing a little more reading, it appears the receiver and ESC are in the same unit in the Super Cub. I assume this is the one from my Super Cub DSM:

http://www.amazon.com/DSM-Receiver-E...8423364&sr=8-1

Thanks for reading, and I feel like a total idiot.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Sorry to hear about that, I'm not aware of any fuse in the brick, you'll likely have to replace it.

That is the correct replacement, yes (Part #HBZ7357).

Check out the super cub thread and use the "Search this Thread" function to find for more info if you're thinking about upgrading your plane.
May 30, 2012, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and order the replacement part for now and maybe research upgrades down the line, once I'm better at flying.
May 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
You're welcome. By the way when you do eventually upgrade, any full-range DSMX or DSM2 receiver (including the AR600 you listed) will work with the Spektrum radios being sold today. JR DSMX/DSM2 radios will work with them also. Parkflyer receivers may also work as well with the super cub, just be sure to range test them before flying.
Last edited by Rayne; May 30, 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply