May 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
Thread OP
Build Log

"The Patriarch" Sheet Foam Sport Plane

The Patriarch is similiar to the Great Planes Patriot. It is made with 6mm Depron and pink foam. However, the model can be made entirely out of depron if desired.

The Patriarch

Wing Span : 47"
Length: 43" (spinner tip to exhaust cone)
Motor: Grayson Hobby Supermega Jet Outrunner
Prop: APC E 7x5
Batt: 3S 2200 mah
Weight: 32 oz as flown
Last edited by jetcaptain; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Changed recommended engine
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
Thread OP

Taping The Plans Together

Started taping the plans and cutting out parts. Wow, this thing take up my whole kitchen!
May 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
We'll be watching
May 31, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
All the patterns have been cut out. Next will be to 3M 77 the patterns and then start cutting all those parts out!
Jun 01, 2012, 01:09 AM
Thread OP

Cutting and Cutting and Cutting.....

All the parts have been cut for the Patriarch. I almost forgot how much fun cutting depron was. Started taping all the parts together to check fit. I found a few areas where I will need to go back and adjust the plans. Oh well, that's scratch building for you! It's almost starting to look like a plane.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Jun 01, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammer
Jun 01, 2012, 01:02 PM
Thread OP

Building the Fuselage

Started the fuselage construction today. More depron cutting for the fuse side doublers, and then gluing them on. Currently dry fitting all the formers and will get it all lined up before using CA to glue everything together.
Jun 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Looking good so far.
Jun 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Subbed
Jun 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Thread OP

Installed Fuselage Top Plate

I was able to get all the former's glued yesterday. Added the fuse top plate last night and sanded to rough shape this morning. I made it a little more curvy than the original. Next up is adding the push rods while the bottom is still open
Jun 04, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thread OP

Making the inlets

Finished making the inlets for both sides and they were glued on. Messed up one side inlet when I had a snafu on the band saw and had to make a new piece. All is well though.

Finished adding some carbon to stiffen the vertical stabilizer, beveled the rudder and added hinges. It is ready to install on the fuselage.

I also ran out of UHU Creative. I have tried several other glues, but nothing compares to UHU for sticking depron together. I have read that foam -tac by Beacon is similar, but I can't seem to find a store that has it in the Austin, TX area.

Progress will be a little slow since I realized I do not have any more carbon rod to stiffen the wing and the horizontal stabilizer. Will need to place a order for that as well.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Jun 08, 2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Jun 08, 2012, 04:38 PM
Thread OP

Cowling and Canopy

Glued and rough sanded the cowling and canopy. I used Beacon 3 in 1 advanced craft glue. It's not as good a UHU, but it gets you by in a pinch. Still need to order some carbon rod for the wings and a 1.5" spinner. Next will be putting some carbon stiffeners in the horizontal stabilizer. After that, both the horizontal and vertical stabilizers will be epoxied on.
Jun 09, 2012, 06:14 PM
Thread OP

Install the vertical and horizontal stabilizers

The Patriarch is coming along. Installed some stiffeners in the horizontal stabilizer and hinged the elevators. Glued in both the vertical and horizontal stabilizers in place. Also glued on the canopy. Will install the control horns and servos next, while I wait for some carbon for the wings.
Jun 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Thread OP

Wing Complete!

My order from BP Hobbies came in this week (carbon rod and spinner). I have nothing but good things to say about the service and shipping. Will order again from these guys.

Since my carbon rod came in, I was able to work on the wing this week. Just finished installing the aileron servo tonight. So the wing is pretty much finished besides making the mountings to attach it to the fuselage.

The next item will be to install the motor and cowl.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: add comments
Jun 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Looks damn good sir!

Quick Reply