May 29, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1970's Pay n Pak boat NEED HELP!

Well the hard stuff has been done. I just need your help now. I listed some pictures here of what i have. boat is finished (just needs paint) i need a controller and possibly some electronic stuff etc.... Anyways the motor it came with is a K/B 3.5 engine. I have no idea about this thing (very noobie at rc things) how do you start it, were is the nitro go in/out of and more. Please help me out, thanks guys/girls.

to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
RC boat Rock Star
OK, who else is scared to reply to this thread?
Did someone find this in a secret place in the pyramids? Everything that you have there is ancient. The radio system is now illegal to use just as a heads-up but the FCC has bigger fish to fry with wardrobe malfunctions.
Dumas hardware is junk as it wasn't good when this kit came out decades ago.
The K&B .21 was a hot one back in the mid-to late `70's. An exhaust throttle engine is a headache for any boater, much less a newbie like yourself.
Hopefully it came with a needle for the venturi as it's not seen in the pictures. You're going to need a starting belt (a.k.a. sewing machine belt) that will go under and around the flywheel to start it. Next is a hand-held electric starter and battery to crank that over with. Don't forget fuel made for boats, not cars or planes but heli fuel will do in a pinch. Also needed is a glow plug igniter.
I'm afraid to say that you may have bitten off more than you can chew with this project although the hull is in very good shape as it's not going to be cheap to get this boat on the water.
May 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
OK, who else is scared to reply to this thread?
Did someone find this in a secret place in the pyramids? Everything that you have there is ancient. The radio system is now illegal to use just as a heads-up but the FCC has bigger fish to fry with wardrobe malfunctions.
Dumas hardware is junk as it wasn't good when this kit came out decades ago.
The K&B .21 was a hot one back in the mid-to late `70's. An exhaust throttle engine is a headache for any boater, much less a newbie like yourself.
Hopefully it came with a needle for the venturi as it's not seen in the pictures. You're going to need a starting belt (a.k.a. sewing machine belt) that will go under and around the flywheel to start it. Next is a hand-held electric starter and battery to crank that over with. Don't forget fuel made for boats, not cars or planes but heli fuel will do in a pinch. Also needed is a glow plug igniter.
I'm afraid to say that you may have bitten off more than you can chew with this project although the hull is in very good shape as it's not going to be cheap to get this boat on the water.
So your saying i should just sell it (if possible)? I really want to get it going but if it cost more then $50 to fix its not worth it. I got it completely for free so i thought i would give it a whirl. Anyways what do you mean illegal?
May 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp546
So your saying i should just sell it (if possible)? I really want to get it going but if it cost more then $50 to fix its not worth it. I got it completely for free so i thought i would give it a whirl. Anyways what do you mean illegal?
its illigal because I think it interferes with airplane/helicopter frequencies and you wound end up crashing some plane or something, long story short. I think its a fun project that shouldn't take much to finish if you get good but not top of the line stuff. Servos and a radio ( a cheap futaba pistol grip and some futaba 3003 servos should be around $25. A flex shaft im not sure on but maybe $40, and paint.
May 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
WHAT THE...
I really hate for someone to be put off about this hobby...but it is important to know that anything in the RC world can get expensive...even freebies! Even if you use all the things you have on hand, between the fit and finish (and required starting equipment) it could exceed $100 to over $200.

It looks like you have a good start to a fun project that you can learn from. I wish that I had some personal knowledge and experience with that particular hull and engine so I could give some better direction or advice.

Regardless of everything said, I need to ask:
1) Do you have anyone else locally that has some RC experience?
2) How big is the lake you plan to run on?
3) Do you have another radio...2.4ghz?
4) Is there a local club that races boats...IMPBA or Namba?

Bottom line is...you have done the right thing...Asked questions!
May 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
RC boat Rock Star
It's going to cost a lot more than $50.00 to get it running. This isn't a cheap hobby/sport even with low-dollar Ready-To-Run boats as even those need up to and more than $100.00 worth of accessories to have them fully ready to go.
Cheap electric hand-held starter, $30.00 or more.
Battery to use the starter, $25.00 and up.
Fuel, how fast do you want to go?
Fuel pump, a lot of extra hardware, glow igniter ($15.00 and up), paint, epoxy for finish sealing and I'm just getting started. to try to build something comparable today from scratch you can easily drop $500-600.00 for what you have.
It's a nice boat and worth a few bucks even for what you have sitting there as even those vintage motors will still fetch a good C-note on eBay.
I'm not trying to be discouraging either but it is a big project for a new boater if you don't know what you're doing. Having someone that can be there looking over your shoulder helps a lot more than what we can do for you on the `net.
May 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
------
The Futaba FP-3EGX is still usable if on the 27 Mhz band but not if on the old (pre 1991)72 Mhz channels: 72.160,72.320 and 72.960. It was a good radio in its time(I have one)with throttle>rudder mix for hydroplanes and dual rate. Had a Dumas "Pay-and-pack"back then and like all Dumas kits it was too heavy to run well. The boat seems well build but I agree with everybody else it won't be cheap to get running and a marine engine with exhaust throttle could be difficult to deal with.
May 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey
I really hate for someone to be put off about this hobby...but it is important to know that anything in the RC world can get expensive...even freebies! Even if you use all the things you have on hand, between the fit and finish (and required starting equipment) it could exceed $100 to over $200.

It looks like you have a good start to a fun project that you can learn from. I wish that I had some personal knowledge and experience with that particular hull and engine so I could give some better direction or advice.

Regardless of everything said, I need to ask:
1) Do you have anyone else locally that has some RC experience?
2) How big is the lake you plan to run on?
3) Do you have another radio...2.4ghz?
4) Is there a local club that races boats...IMPBA or Namba?

Bottom line is...you have done the right thing...Asked questions!
1) not really just my dad...
2) My pond is about 2 acrs
3) No radio just some traxxas stuff
4) No but i really wish there was!
Sep 15, 2019, 08:38 AM
I have a70s Dumas atlas boat in rebuilt an customize. Comes with 14.9cc K&B nitro motor. I and picks it is gto judge orange. I can send pics.
Bill. [email protected]

Quick Reply