New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old May 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
Dave8888 is offline
Find More Posts by Dave8888
Registered User
Question

Mems gyros vs. Piezo gyros?


How much better is a KK board with mems gyros compared to a KK board with piezo gyros if you are just sport flying around the yard and have no plans for FPV or anything like that?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
SeismicCWave is offline
Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
How much better is a KK board with mems gyros compared to a KK board with piezo gyros if you are just sport flying around the yard and have no plans for FPV or anything like that?
I don' see a lot of difference in flight performance. The only difference will be temperature drift. If you go from a cool environment in the house to a hot environment outdoor you will find that the multi rotor will drift off center during a flight. If you let the multi rotor sit outdoor for 5 to 10 minutes before powering up you will alleviate the problem.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
AdaptedEye is offline
Find More Posts by AdaptedEye
Registered User
The new board is sold out already
Old May 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
kad is offline
kad
Find More Posts by kad
kad
Quad Crasher
kad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaptedEye View Post
The new board is sold out already
Which new board is this?

-K
Old May 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
ddoltar is offline
Find More Posts by ddoltar
Registered User
ddoltar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I don' see a lot of difference in flight performance. The only difference will be temperature drift. If you go from a cool environment in the house to a hot environment outdoor you will find that the multi rotor will drift off center during a flight. If you let the multi rotor sit outdoor for 5 to 10 minutes before powering up you will alleviate the problem.
which has the temperature drift issues?
Old May 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
kad is offline
kad
Find More Posts by kad
kad
Quad Crasher
kad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaptedEye View Post
Wow, spend a day enjoying a holiday with the family instead of lurking on the web and see what I miss. Thanks Eye!


-K
Old May 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
SeismicCWave is offline
Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoltar View Post
which has the temperature drift issues?
The old Murata piezo gyros on the KK board.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
sirbow2 is offline
Find More Posts by sirbow2
Emress
only thing ive seen so far is that piezo are less susceptible to vibrations.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:42 AM
Erknie is offline
Find More Posts by Erknie
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
only thing ive seen so far is that piezo are less susceptible to vibrations.
It's not that piezos are less susceptible, it's just they can't respond to fast signals like vibrations. eg. a ENC-03R max sample rate is like 50Hz, and a 300deg/sec angular velocity, where a MEMS like an ITG-3205 will do 2,000deg/sec, and they can sample at over 1kHz.

Piezos can break easily in crashes, whereas a MEMS can take a 10,000g shock.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
midelic is online now
Find More Posts by midelic
Registered User
midelic's Avatar
The specs for mems gyro look good on paper,but really is there tangible difference in flight?The people who really fly with both gyros can really say if there is a tangible difference.
300 versus 2000 deg/sec look good on paper,but in flight if the human eye cannot see the difference,what's the point on changing gyros.If only the temperature is the problem that can easily be resolved.I suspect there are a lot of myths regarding piezo gyro.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
Erknie is offline
Find More Posts by Erknie
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
The specs for mems gyro look good on paper,but really is there tangible difference in flight?The people who really fly with both gyros can really say if there is a tangible difference.
300 versus 2000 deg/sec look good on paper,but in flight if the human eye cannot see the difference,what's the point on changing gyros.If only the temperature is the problem that can easily be resolved.I suspect there are a lot of myths regarding piezo gyro.
You obviously don't do aerobatics. Flips and rolls can be faster then 300 degrees/sec.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold GWS PG-03 Piezo Gyro ihor14448 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 May 02, 2012 10:38 PM
Sold GWS Pg-03 Piezo Gyro JR/Futaba (N.I.P.) $22 for one or $40 for both nautique Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Apr 28, 2012 02:11 AM
Sold GWS Pg-03 Piezo Gyro JR/Futaba (N.I.P.) $22 for one or $40 for both nautique Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 30, 2012 05:58 PM
Sold New/never used Revolution PZ-200 sport piezo gyro- $20.00 shipped. 540RCflyer Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Feb 24, 2012 12:37 PM
For Sale MS-024 6g piezo rate gyro stevebarrow Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 28, 2011 05:24 AM