Nov 04, 2003, 03:45 PM
Thread OP

Cheap lights for night flying from the dollar store

The dollar stores in my area now have high-intesity LED keychain lights.

I've found two different brands. The "Led Club" lights (bottom of pic) are in a firm plastic case and lists five colors, but I could only find three--red, yellow, and green. The red and yellow have one battery, the green has two (higher voltage).

The "Brightbeam" (upper left) has a rubbery, jelly-like case. I bought two of their white ones. One LED has a noticable purplish center and they seem cheaper-made than the "LED Club" lights.

Also, I've found red and green blinking "Body Lights" that have supermagnets to attach to clothing and the like. Last winter at Dollar Tree stores I found blinking Snowman Noses. It's not a bright LED, but looks cool on a GWS Tiger Moth.

I ripped open the cases on a read and green "LED Club" lights and taped just the LEDs and batteries under the wing of a plane for cheap night flights. When the batteries run out, I figure a way to run off the receiver's power.

rt
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2003, 04:04 PM
two left feet
I bought some of those $1 wearable magnetic led lights from goodwill, and have been using them on my E-starter. Since I don't have the wing struts installed, but I do have the mounts glued in, I can attach them directly (with the magnet) to those mounts. I can take them off and on very easily. They are not very bright, but as it gets darker they are easy to see.

I just have 2 facing forward, and one facing rear. That way I can tell which way the plane is facing, and whether it is turning toward or away from me (most important thing!)...
Nov 04, 2003, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
The keychain lights are really bright. I taped them to the under side of a foam plane I made and fly well past sunset and a couple hundred feet up. The blinking lights are cool, but as you said, not very bright.

I've tried the glow stick bracelets and necklaces from the dollar store and are a waste of money for night flying.
Nov 04, 2003, 09:52 PM
Several folks at SEFF were selling these type lights. The ones I saw fly were good enough. Not Certek but good.
Nov 05, 2003, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
I love my Curtek lights, but for a cheap plane ($2 wings from a 5-foot clearance glider, $2 arrow shaft and a bit of blue fan fold foam), I like my cheap lights.
Nov 05, 2003, 11:57 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
rt, are you gonna use the blinking nose as a prop spinner?

IMHO, Curteks are the best option.
Nov 05, 2003, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
RookieOne,

Great idea. Help get those toys delivered.

I agree, Curteks are the best, but on the cheap, these are fun.

rt
Nov 05, 2003, 12:44 PM
I'm going to look ay our local stores for these.
Nov 12, 2003, 01:50 AM
Thread OP
Wow!

More lights. What a deal. A lightstick replacement for $1. It has a on/off micro switch, 3 AG13 button cell batteries, and high-intensity blue LED. Have to go back and buy more.

Two colors, green and blue, but all the lights are the same--blue. The blue light sets off the yellow florescent tube (and other florescent colors). Pull off the tube extension and it's a small, but superbright flashlight.

Also, they had Body Strobes. The skull I bought has fixed lights that flash - not moveable. But it has two AG3 button cells and two 3/8" diam. by 1/16" strong magnet. The magnets could be good for hatches and the like. Beats Radio Shack's magnet prices.
Nov 13, 2003, 12:15 PM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
rt, have you seen the Curteks installed in my Pilatus Porter?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=159282
Nov 14, 2003, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
RookieOne,

Very cool. I have two sets of Curtek lights. Actually, it's my bipe in the Ezone review.

rt
Last edited by rtideas; Nov 14, 2003 at 12:05 AM.
Nov 14, 2003, 12:21 AM
Anyone have a link to Curtek here in The States ?
Oct 06, 2005, 12:22 PM
www.curtek.com
Oct 06, 2005, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murray
Anyone have a link to Curtek here in The States ?
Kevin, Very cool avatar. Love the GeeBees!
Oct 06, 2005, 06:40 PM
Closed Account
It's always the new guys that dig up the old threads.

FWIW I got some "Quasar Pens" from the dollar store last year that were pretty cool. The have a three-color flashing LED in them that flashes red-green-blue, and runs off three watch batteries.

Quick Reply