Jan 10, 2021, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWWWSAMxX
I have similar interference problems with RFD900ux, but the source seems to be from other nearby RFD900ux.
I sometimes may have a few pairs in one area, so it is a bit of a headache.

Using just one pair, it works great for a few hundred metres on the ground (using just RFD's 3dBi dipoles).
However if I were to use another pair (within ~100m), both pairs will start randomly dropping data.

I've tried changing numerous settings (netid, duty cycle, frequency, channels, op resend etc.) but havent had much success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've tried contacting RFDesign for suggestions but haven't had any response.
This is actually really common. The rf bands saturate themselves and they basically just kill each other. Just lower the power on the units youíre using to something reasonable depending on the distance youíre using them at. For instance if I have several operating on the bench I need to turn the power down as low as theyíll go and then if using more than one set at the same time set the frequencies to not overlap. You can also just use an attenuators if you donít want to adjust the settings when doing testing if youíre doing a bunch at a time.

Iíd take a loom at and set the TARGET_RSSI (R0) setting which is disabled by default. This will adjust the power levels automatically to keep RSSI at the desired level (50-254 equating to 20-100% [approximately]).
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2021, 01:48 PM
In further testing i was clearly able to see that having both antennas on the rfd900x created more noise by like 20% and not enough signal increase to warrant the extra noise, , i used the RSSI tool and was able to reproduce it every time.... Haven't had a chance to fly it yet with just one antenna, will see

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Jan 18, 2021, 12:36 PM
Are there any plans for an TXMOD-EU?
Feb 15, 2021, 04:16 PM

Powering the air unit

Okay Iíve only found this thread after months of thinking about and searching for the best way to do this. Iíve just read all 68 pages. Can anyone offer some clear advice, photos, and/or diagrams on how to power the RFD900x independently of the autopilot? Iíve seen one UAV manufacturer powers it via a splice in aileron servo wires. This seems simple enough to do and I have the parts to make it happen. Will this work and provide a robust connection? I see talk about powering via BEC, but how are people powering/connecting the BEC? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Feb 15, 2021, 07:32 PM
yes only power it from a 5 volt 3 amp bec it could brown out your controller if you wire it to the controler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPRED
Okay Iíve only found this thread after months of thinking about and searching for the best way to do this. Iíve just read all 68 pages. Can anyone offer some clear advice, photos, and/or diagrams on how to power the RFD900x independently of the autopilot? Iíve seen one UAV manufacturer powers it via a splice in aileron servo wires. This seems simple enough to do and I have the parts to make it happen. Will this work and provide a robust connection? I see talk about powering via BEC, but how are people powering/connecting the BEC? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Feb 15, 2021, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
yes only power it from a 5 volt 3 amp bec it could brown out your controller if you wire it to the controler
Thanks, so my servos are powered via BEC integrated in the ESC at what I’m reading as 5.07 V. Is it acceptable to splice/tap into the servo lines to power the RFD900x? Or are we talking a whole separate BEC? If it’s necessary to use a separate BEC, which I hope it is not, then how do I connect this and where? Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I’m just not understanding how to get power to separate accessories if I’m using a power module, which I’m using to power the autopilot. In a case where I have to use a separate BEC, would I splice into the leads on the esc side of the power module to give power to the BEC?

Thanks much for your help.
Last edited by DBPRED; Feb 15, 2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Clarity
Apr 18, 2021, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBPRED
Thanks, so my servos are powered via BEC integrated in the ESC at what Iím reading as 5.07 V. Is it acceptable to splice/tap into the servo lines to power the RFD900x? Or are we talking a whole separate BEC? If itís necessary to use a separate BEC, which I hope it is not, then how do I connect this and where? Apologies if this is a stupid question, but Iím just not understanding how to get power to separate accessories if Iím using a power module, which Iím using to power the autopilot. In a case where I have to use a separate BEC, would I splice into the leads on the esc side of the power module to give power to the BEC?

Thanks much for your help.
you most definitely want a dedicated BEC for the RFD900x.....using the BEC from ESC will give you noise on the signal....you can get a good quality dedicated BEC with clean output for like $15.....plus I run the voltage on my BEC at 5.2v for the RFD radios+
Apr 21, 2021, 09:56 AM

Target_RSSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThonTillman

Iíd take a loom at and set the TARGET_RSSI (R0) setting which is disabled by default. This will adjust the power levels automatically to keep RSSI at the desired level (50-254 equating to 20-100% [approximately]).
What do you typically set? I'm confused as earlier versions were based on RSSI - as you indicate- 50 to 255.

Current firmware is based on dbm (0-110).

My goal is to optimize power, won't be flying more than about 2 or 3km at 400'. Does a setting of about 80 sound right?
Jun 01, 2021, 11:47 PM
Heck yeah!
Anyone successful with transmitting serial data at 750kbps? I'm entertaining the thought of compressing and transmitting image data over serial. I'm working on a product that could use this data link. I have the txmod2 and rfd900x set for testing. I plan on using a jetson to compress and serialize images.

Quick Reply