Nov 30, 2018, 09:01 PM
Works now, They got back to me and I fixed it. Still not very good connection but it’s working. Takes about 10 min to upload parameters.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2019, 02:59 PM
OhItsTarik
So hold on - how does the PWM input/output from the GPIO ports work? I'm kind of expecting to input a wire into port 2.2 and get the same output from 2.2 on the ground side for some reason
Mar 05, 2019, 05:55 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarikAgcayazi
So hold on - how does the PWM input/output from the GPIO ports work? I'm kind of expecting to input a wire into port 2.2 and get the same output from 2.2 on the ground side for some reason
That's more or less what happens, but it's pin #15 (2.6). You'll need to check a box for "R/C IN" on the ground radio and "R/C OUT" on the air radio in the RFD configuration tool. Also make sure the PPM you input is at 3.3v signal level. It often comes out of a transmitter's module bay with higher signal levels that the RFD isn't rated to handle.

I've made a JR-style module for my RFD900x that passes through PPM for R/C and creates a local WiFi hotspot for connecting to a PC or tablet. Has been working well so far.
Mar 06, 2019, 10:03 AM
Which one is aileron again?
Nice work but be careful with those long antennas on the radios as the SMAs are pretty easy to break off the board.
Mar 08, 2019, 12:14 AM
OhItsTarik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
That's more or less what happens, but it's pin #15 (2.6). You'll need to check a box for "R/C IN" on the ground radio and "R/C OUT" on the air radio in the RFD configuration tool. Also make sure the PPM you input is at 3.3v signal level. It often comes out of a transmitter's module bay with higher signal levels that the RFD isn't rated to handle.

I've made a JR-style module for my RFD900x that passes through PPM for R/C and creates a local WiFi hotspot for connecting to a PC or tablet. Has been working well so far.
Not PPM, but PWM. I know the rfd900x has PPM passtrhough but with the RFD900+ models it says we have PWM ports but I cant find any documentation on it. I'll try the same ports and the same method tomorrow but otherwise, what else is there to go for? Emailing support?
Mar 08, 2019, 08:23 PM
Greetings,

I'm running an RFD900x pair for MavLink telemetry and RC PPM control. All is working well. I have a tracker on the ground with an 11 dbi antenna (at 25 dbm power to stay within the FCC limit) and the flex antennas on a plane (running at the full 30 dbm power).

My RSSI/Noise/Remote RSSI/Remote Noise chart looks great. But I realized today that I don't know how to interpret the values correctly. In one direction, I have a worst case difference of ~40 units between the RSSI and the noise. In the other direction, the difference is ~ 100 units. I was thinking this was the db margin, but I realize that I can't possibly have 100 dbm of noise margin.

I could determine the range experimentally while flying, but that's difficult to do legally. It occurs to me that some other users might know how much the RSSI falls off due to increasing distance.

So, is there anyone who can offer any insight about how the four values relate to distance and potential for range?

RR
Mar 11, 2019, 08:16 AM
Quote:

This I want to hear more about!! Amazing! Do you have a write up for a DIY build or BOM, etc. This looks awesome to try! Amazing work! I'm going to build one of these ASAP.
Mar 11, 2019, 02:50 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThonTillman
This I want to hear more about!! Amazing! Do you have a write up for a DIY build or BOM, etc. This looks awesome to try! Amazing work! I'm going to build one of these ASAP.
I will shortly - made a couple of revisions to the PCB that I need to test out first. It fits into a 3D printed module housing and holds 5V and 3.3V regulators, an ESP8266 WiFi module, and a level shifter to condition the PPM properly.
Mar 17, 2019, 02:55 AM
Hi all, has anyone managed to get the mavlink from pix hawk cube down the dragon link and displayed onto the Horus or similar transmitter yet?

I have it wired up as per instructions (even though there are three or more differing sets out of instructions out there with regards to baud rate etc)

Currently I get the Horus saying there is telemetry data but I am new to the radio and it looks to me in the telemetry list that it is not the mavlink data but rather the usual telem data which you might expect from a dragon link sensor? But of course there are no dragon link sensors attached. I have attached the UEXP on the receiver to the telem 2 port on pix

However when unplugging the uexp from the receiver the TX has no complaints that it lost telemetry.

Anyway perhaps I need to load in something special to the tx in order to parse that info properly?

Running open Tx

Any help appreciated.
Mar 17, 2019, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg
Hi all, has anyone managed to get the mavlink from pix hawk cube down the dragon link and displayed onto the Horus or similar transmitter yet?

I have it wired up as per instructions (even though there are three or more differing sets out of instructions out there with regards to baud rate etc)

Currently I get the Horus saying there is telemetry data but I am new to the radio and it looks to me in the telemetry list that it is not the mavlink data but rather the usual telem data which you might expect from a dragon link sensor? But of course there are no dragon link sensors attached. I have attached the UEXP on the receiver to the telem 2 port on pix

However when unplugging the uexp from the receiver the TX has no complaints that it lost telemetry.

Anyway perhaps I need to load in something special to the tx in order to parse that info properly?

Running open Tx

Any help appreciated.
Have you asked in the Drangon Link thread yet?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post41416813
Mar 17, 2019, 09:19 AM
Oh my thatís what you get for typing on your phone!

I am also using rdf 900 but was in the wrong thread!

So sorry guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10
Have you asked in the Drangon Link thread yet?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post41416813
May 18, 2019, 03:27 AM
Quote:
I will shortly - made a couple of revisions to the PCB that I need to test out first. It fits into a 3D printed module housing and holds 5V and 3.3V regulators, an ESP8266 WiFi module, and a level shifter to condition the PPM properly.
I don't suppose you could share the STL for the housing?
May 20, 2019, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocol4te
if anyone goes with ESP route, get ESP32 with External Antenna connector...much better than the PCB builtin one
May 20, 2019, 01:46 PM
Purdue Engineering

RFD900x DIY Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocol4te
Yes! I just started offering kits for the module (PCB + electronics + hardware) here: https://www.loftedaero.com/product-p...diy-module-kit

There's a link on the page to download just the print files for free if you'd like to use them for your own project.
May 20, 2019, 02:53 PM
AutoPilot .
Anywhere to find some long range 868mhz antennas ? like yagi for TX and dipole on RX ?
thanks .

Quick Reply