Nov 17, 2013, 01:00 PM
OK. I think I am going to have to throw in the towel on this.

I managed to get the modem into forced boot mode by shorting out pin 1 to boot. The red light on the modem is dimly lit as I am looking at it now.

I downloaded the firmware and brought it into Modem Tools V1.3. I made sure the com port is 16. When I attempt to upload I get the bootloader message
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2013, 01:02 PM
Sorry - here is the attachment with the firmware tab checked.
Nov 17, 2013, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
Not sure what is going on with that one - I will arrange to get a replacement out to you this week. If you can send the current one, I will check them out to see what is happening.
If you can send me an email to [email protected] with your details, I will receive it. It is sounding like the serial port on the modem may be having some issues.
Nov 17, 2013, 10:46 PM
WOW I havent seen customer quality and service like this, in any industry in Canada, in a long time. Not only were you on top of the posts in record speed, but responded to all my posts in quick time. Impressive!! To top it, I purchased the modems in September in the USA from a company that provided great service.

I will send you my coordinates to the e-mail provided. Thanks Seppos RFDesign - Top Shelf!! Company
Nov 18, 2013, 11:53 AM
Sirach 6:7-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger1
WOW I havent seen customer quality and service like this, in any industry in Canada, in a long time. Not only were you on top of the posts in record speed, but responded to all my posts in quick time. Impressive!! To top it, I purchased the modems in September in the USA from a company that provided great service.

I will send you my coordinates to the e-mail provided. Thanks Seppos RFDesign - Top Shelf!! Company
Before you send it back, why don't you try connecting the other RFD900 to the 3DR modem and make sure the settings are the same. Then try to connect the two RFD900's.
Nov 19, 2013, 07:55 PM
CN I Dawg,

Great idea and I did just that. I wasn't aware that the RFD 900 was cross-compatible with the 3DR modems. Turns out they are! AND that both RFD900 modems work.

I went back to the FTDI cable again. Using X-CTU I tested the cable again and found issues with the CTS pin and RTS pin.

I purchased a FTDI programmer and using the FTDI programmer and USB cable I connected the modem to the computer and other to the plane. Loaded APM, connected on different COM port AND connected Turns out at days end, I have a faulty FTDI cable

Thanks Seppos @ RFDesign and CN I Dawg for your quick responses. As said before - top shelf service.

Frank - Ottawa - Canada
Nov 20, 2013, 04:12 AM
Sirach 6:7-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger1
CN I Dawg,

Great idea and I did just that. I wasn't aware that the RFD 900 was cross-compatible with the 3DR modems. Turns out they are! AND that both RFD900 modems work.

I went back to the FTDI cable again. Using X-CTU I tested the cable again and found issues with the CTS pin and RTS pin.

I purchased a FTDI programmer and using the FTDI programmer and USB cable I connected the modem to the computer and other to the plane. Loaded APM, connected on different COM port AND connected Turns out at days end, I have a faulty FTDI cable

Thanks Seppos @ RFDesign and CN I Dawg for your quick responses. As said before - top shelf service.

Frank - Ottawa - Canada
Frank,
Glad you got it sorted out.
Steven
Nov 27, 2013, 10:58 AM
Thread OP

RFD900u update

G'day- a quick update on the latest modem developments.

RFD900u V1.1 prototype boards are all tested and the results were all good!
The first production batch is being loaded tomorrow, in Melbourne, Australia.

Cable assemblies are also shipping tomorrow and will be here next week: We have a couple of different cable options:
1) RFD900u to DF13/5w APM2/2.5
2) RFD900u to DF13/6w Pixhawk(3dr)
3) RFD900u to 0.1" socket, for FTDI cable interface etc.

We were able to do preliminary sensitivity testing across a number of modems, HM_TRP was a Hope RF based modem, and the others you know:

Air speed 9600:
HM_TRP = -100dBm
RFD900 = -111dBm
RFD900u = -111dBm

Air speed 64k:
HM_TRP = -100dBm
RFD900 = -105dBm
RFD900u = -107dBm

Air speed 128k:
HM_TRP = -97dBm
RFD900 = -103dBm
RFD900u = -105dBm

The absolute sensitivity figures are still preliminary, pending better test software, but, the test case was identical between all 3 radios.

RFD900u actual TX power is around +19dBm. This is similar to other Si1000 based radios with no extra Transmit power amplifiers.

Diversity receive & transmit on the RFD900u works well, just like it's bigger brother, the RFD900.

More details on pricing, dimensions and weights coming online shortly.
All going well with manufacture, these will be available next week !

Hope you'll like them as much as we do.

Seppo
Nov 27, 2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the update Seppo! Look forward to more details
Dec 03, 2013, 04:17 PM
What's the difference between rfd900 and rfd900u.
Where do I find more info?
Thank you
Matt
Dec 05, 2013, 05:42 AM
Thread OP

RFD900u's are online!

The RFD900u's are available now from the RFDesign online store at:
http://store.rfdesign.com.au

The product description has the first pass spec of the modems.
The updated manual, more pictures, connector pinouts etc are coming up.
Seppo
Dec 06, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thread OP

High altitude testing (Vac chamber) of RFD900/u

Hello!,

We have been asked about high altitude testing of modems and were wondering if anyone out there has good practical suggestions.

We have an environmental chamber that will go down to -74degC, and a dual stage vacuum pump (10cfm), 25 micron. It sucks.

I was thinking about a vac test chamber placed inside the temp chamber, with a vacuum regulator to maintain 120k feet or so equivalent pressure. Any thoughts? - Any ideas on what kind of profile would be good?

Thanks in advance!
Seppo
Dec 12, 2013, 03:21 AM
Thread OP

Christmas sale at RFDesign

Hi All!,
We have a storewide 10% sale prior to Christmas until the 20th December!
Use the coupon code SMILE and you will get 10% off your order.
Best wishes from us all.
Seppo
Dec 13, 2013, 08:15 PM
I had a problem with the FTDI cable too (could have been driver related). I happened to have a spare cable, and the modems connected up fine.
Dec 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
Waypoint Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppos
The RFD900u's are available now from the RFDesign online store at:
http://store.rfdesign.com.au

The product description has the first pass spec of the modems.
The updated manual, more pictures, connector pinouts etc are coming up.
Seppo
Hello Seppo,
Is the RFD900u intended only as an air module, or can it be used for GS as well?

Quick Reply