May 25, 2012, 04:04 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

WLToys Beetle quad review

THIS THREAD IS A TECHNICAL ISSUES AND REVIEW THREAD, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT DEALS, DEALERS AND TRACKING INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO THE DEALS AND TRACKING THREAD FOUND HERE:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post22084674

INTRODUCTION

Quads have become increasingly popular lately with the introduction of relatively cheap models such as the mQx and the Ladybird (I own one and it's absolutely amazing), but the WLToys Beetle is the first toy-grade quadcopter that may make it to malls instead of hobby shops.
The Beetle is a clone of the mQx, at least on the design of the frame and motor/gear/rotor assemblies... but the rx board itself seems to be a different design to the original, and it doesn't have the capability of flying in + mode like the mQx.
Anyways, you can imagine how overjoyed I was to see a big cardboard box sitting at home because I knew exactly what was inside

*Disclaimer: The WLToys Beetle review was written on June 13th, 2012... the sample is a pre-production model and was sent for flight performance review purposes. The performance of the final product may be different as WLToys modify their product but as always, you can trust that my findings are accurately reflected in the review that you are about to read.

DELIVERY

Inside the package that I received is the RTF version of the WLToys Beetle. Contents of the box include the following:
1x WLToys Beetle quad
1x 3.7V 500mah battery
1x Lipo battery charger
1x 4 channel transmitter which is compatible with the V911 tx and vice versa
and some spare parts.

THE FLIGHTDECK

The RTF version of the beetle is shipped with a 4 channel transmitter that is compatible with the V911 and vice versa. This may mean that the Beetle will be compatible with Turnigy transmitters but that is unconfirmed. Main differences between the Beetle tx and the V911 tx include: 4 rates on the Beetle (20,40,60 and 100%) and a revised screen. The Beetle's tx has a dual color screen that is blue during normal flight mode and orange in stunt mode.

Blue- Normal flight mode

Orange- Stunt mode

THE WALK-AROUND

When I opened the box, I found that the Beetle was quite a bit larger than the Walkera Ladybird that I'm used to... the canopy is a clone of the Ladybird's though, so it looks very odd in my opinion... not as good looking (if you can call it that) as the Ladybird and certainly not as well made.. but consider the price difference and it's quite acceptable. WLToys have contacted me and told me that new canopies are in the works so hopefully we'll have other choices soon.

The motor is quite small (probably the same size as the Ladybird's) but it is geared for rotors that are much larger. Power really isn't an issue as I thought. All of the parts are made of pretty good quality plastic so I think it's quite strong and can take a bit of a beating.

A word of caution for those who fly the Ladybird already, please be aware that the blades in the front of the Beetle are orange, which is opposite to those on the ladybird...I got dis-orientated a few times because of this.

THE FLIGHT

It was almost windless when I took it up for it's first flight... it was quite stable and my friend Nutta and I took turns putting it through it's paces. The rudder response is quite fast.. But isn't as proportional as the V911's rudder. There seems to be a very slight delay with the elevator and ailerons though, so you have to plan ahead during your flights... I like flying it on 60% throw as it's response is a little better than the other settings. Stunt mode is for flips and rolls only, the quad will want to flip whenever you push the sticks past half way. When I tried to do a rapid climb, the quad wouldn't climb straight...I'm not sure whether it's caused by a faulty motor or a problem with the software... I contacted WLToys about this issue and they said they'll fix it so hopefully it won't appear on the production model.
Flips are fast on stunt mode, initially I had a problem with it because I was used to throttling up at the end of a flip to prevent the quad from dropping (This is what you do on the Walkera)..but this caused the Beetle to Yaw at the end of the flip. I called WLToys about it and they said that because flips are pretty much programmed onto the Beetle, you should keep the throttle stick still and just push the elevator/ailerons for flips. I tried it and it flips rather nicely.

Post flight
I think there are a few small problems with this pre-production model as expected.. Overall it flies very well for a toy, but I know that's not what you guys are looking for so I've sent my feedback to WLToys. Once they solve the minor issues I think they really have a winner here... and with their history of modifying their products according to the customer feedbacks, I think it wouldn't be an issue in the end at all

I am a beginner, can I fly it with little/no experience?
-Well, I think if you have experience with the V911 or other 4 channel helicopters, then the learning curve wouldn't be too steep. If you have no experience whatsoever, I do believe that starting with a helicopter would be a better option. Quads respond differently to helicopters so if this is your first quad, prepare to crash a few times before you get the hang of it. Make sure you fly close to you the first dozen flights or so... orientation on quads is quite hard to grasp at a distance sometimes...
Good luck!

Where can I buy one?
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...o-p-46046.html

Comparison chart
Last edited by jameschen072; Aug 29, 2012 at 05:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2012, 04:23 AM
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

There are rumors that Walkera is behind a number of Nine Eagles' latest CPs, and it is possible it is behind this one as well. As long as it causes more problems for Blade, it doesn't matter if the cat is black or white.
May 25, 2012, 05:00 AM
I vote fake. It looks like a photoshopped Blade mQX. Why would they use the same moniker and design?
May 25, 2012, 09:06 AM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsak
I vote fake. It looks like a photoshopped Blade mQX. Why would they use the same moniker and design?
I suppose is the same reason why there are so many iPhone and iPad clones? They look exactly like the original versions because that's what the consumer wants.

In any case, I doubt Wei Li dares to pull this off without consulting their legal team. I certainly hope I can see this selling online.
May 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
If it works with the standard V911 TX then I'll order a BNF with batteries as soon as it's available, assuming it doesn't cost over $200, lol.

*edit*
That 6th picture looks suspiciously DIY...
May 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
The video looks genuine enough. The body shell is an exact copy of the QR Ladybird.

If indeed WL Toys does not have permission from Walkera, if will be easier to settle this through the triads e.g. start a factory fire and a few beatings, rather than go through legal channels in China.
Last edited by zadaw; May 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
May 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
Wow...if it's real..this is going to be one of the cheapest RTF Quad in the world
May 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
yeah! I was hoping for a cheap quad and here it is!
May 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
New pics. Ok so it is real Looks like legal issues though I'd say. The could have at least used a different "bug" design or something! It's identical!

But ya I'll probably pick one up.
May 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
New pics. Ok so it is real Looks like legal issues though I'd say. The could have at least used a different "bug" design or something! It's identical!
I know. it was like they went out of their way to look for trouble.

In all honesty, I don't care for the ladybug look. I'd prefer a solid color dome.
May 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
I know. it was like they went out of their way to look for trouble.

In all honesty, I don't care for the ladybug look. I'd prefer a solid color dome.
Yes that's the point I think a lot of people would rather the canopy be something other than a bug, and that would be simple to do, why copy the Ladybird canopy *exactly*?

Ridiculous!
May 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Is this for sale yet?
May 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
The Ladybird and the mQX when into a dark bedroom, there was a lot of whirring noises and this was born.
May 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
The Ladybird and the mQX when into a dark bedroom, there was a lot of whirring noises and this was born.
"Batteries not included"
May 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
I just got my Ladybird today.... W00p! and this WL toys version shows up... WANT both! and a few BNFs so friends and family can fly the cheap one and not my "precious"
I will be even more happy when it's confirmed to bind with the V911's TX.

I'd love to be able to visit my ancestral homeland one day, and maybe tour a couple of factories too. China is putting out some seriously cool "tech" these days!

Quick Reply