Hyperion stored in package for 2 years still good? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Question

Hyperion stored in package for 2 years still good?


I bought a Hyperion 3.7v 160mah 25c battery two years ago and never took it out of its original packaging. I am ready to use it now but was wondering if it is still good? I'm not sure what voltage it was stored at for two years because I don't know what voltage Hyperion sends their batteries out at. Anything special I need to do with it?

Drew
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Registered User
Beckler's Avatar
The 3 Hyp 3S packs I have were all at 50% when I bought them. What voltage is yours at now?
May 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler
The 3 Hyp 3S packs I have were all at 50% when I bought them. What voltage is yours at now?
I'll have to check I have a voltmeter coming in tomorrow. What should I be looking for for the voltage on this?
May 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Beckler's Avatar
What I've read is that if cell voltage is less than 3.3V no load, then charging isn't recommended.
May 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwrx
I'll have to check I have a voltmeter coming in tomorrow. What should I be looking for for the voltage on this?
LiPo cells are shipped at 3.85V or very close to that. If your battery reads close to that and it takes about 80ma when you charge it, then it is probably good.

Glen
May 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
Is this a G3 25C pack?

It definitely won't have the power that it 'would' have vs. brand new, but try it out. You will have to do a few (5+ cycles) at low charging levels to wake them up before you thrash them.
May 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Not al are the same but a few months ago I assmeble some Hyperion 25C bare 240 mAh cells which I had purchased two years prior in to 2S packs for my EFlite Beast and a last week a few of them as 1S packs for my Blade mCPX. I also purchased 5 new Hyp. 240 cells for use in the mCPX. I can tell not difference in any of these cells during CBA graph test or during flying.

Charles
May 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Not al are the same but a few months ago I assmeble some Hyperion 25C bare 240 mAh cells which I had purchased two years prior in to 2S packs for my EFlite Beast and a last week a few of them as 1S packs for my Blade mCPX. I also purchased 5 new Hyp. 240 cells for use in the mCPX. I can tell not difference in any of these cells during CBA graph test or during flying.

Charles
Hey Charles, when you test batteries on your CBA do you use a 1c discharge rate. Like a 1300 3cell battery do you discharge it at 1.3 amps?
May 25, 2012, 02:55 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Got my volt tester. The two year old hyperion (3.7v 160mah 25c G3) is at 3.74v. You guys don't think it will have the power of a brand new one ever again?
May 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
rampman's Avatar
Did you not read Charles' post? EDF, what is that acronoum you came up with for this?

Rick
May 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Did you not read Charles' post? EDF, what is that acronoum you came up with for this?

Rick
Rick,

I just saw that one person said it will not have the power and one person said it would. I just thought that my volt reading might have given enough info to tell maybe. Anyway, I'll just try it out and see.

Drew
May 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
rampman's Avatar
Volts is only how full the gas tank is. The unknown at this time is how big the tank is and how fast the hole (amps) will allow the gas (voltage) to flow out of the tank.
Confused? Good. :P Charge them, fly them and report how they do. My $$$ says better than your used cells.
I have heard before that there is a chemical reaction that has to happen and it takes a few cycles to activate the cells; hense a break-in of 3 to 5 cycles to get them up to max performance. This is to have better shelf life than a cell cycled a few times and stored.... or so the rumor goes...

Rick
May 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Rick, I just flew it for the first time and my Hobbyzone Champ flew great. It had alot of climb power. I had to cut the flight short due to wind but so far so good!
May 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddaddy
Hey Charles, when you test batteries on your CBA do you use a 1c discharge rate. Like a 1300 3cell battery do you discharge it at 1.3 amps?
IMO a 1C discharge would not really tell us much unless you do in fact get 1 hour flights. Three C is about where I normaly start at then I most often go up to 60% plus of the LiPoly cont. C rating as long as it holds voltage fairly well, do not get to hot and delicvers reasonable capacity.

A recent test fromn the Battery graph vault of small LiPOlys ( mCPX class).

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1643704

Charles
May 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
IMO a 1C discharge would not really tell us much unless you do in fact get 1 hour flights. Three C is about where I normaly start at then I most often go up to 60% plus of the LiPoly cont. C rating as long as it holds voltage fairly well, do not get to hot and delicvers reasonable capacity.

A recent test fromn the Battery graph vault of small LiPOlys ( mCPX class).

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1643704

Charles
Thanks Charles, I also notice you cut them off at 3.30 volts per cell


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new engines stored for 30 years ltc Engines 8 May 18, 2012 09:46 PM
For Sale Brand new unassembled msrx & mqx still in original packages B dog Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Feb 10, 2012 10:35 PM
Discussion New Hobby store in CA, prices seems good on parts 11dmss Electric Plane Talk 4 Jan 19, 2012 04:09 AM
Sold New-Still in Package- Hacker X-40 40a Brushless ESC ptflyer Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jan 16, 2012 06:38 PM
Discussion 10 stimulus packages in 8 years ... a decade lost. logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 3 Nov 04, 2011 09:25 AM