May 24, 2012, 06:50 AM
Discussion

Aeromodeller Magazine is back!

Wasn't sure where to post this, so it's here in one of my favourite categories:
http://www.aero-modeller.co.uk/aeromodeller-magazine/
I loved this magazine growing up and welcome it's return
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
If they plan to have real content rather than a bunch of fluffy ARF reviews of dubious integrity like MAN, MA, etc I'd subscribe. I have a number of issues someone gave me from the 60's and 70's and they were outstanding
May 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
They always had plans published in them. I usually got the mag when the plans looked like they were for me.
May 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NACA0012 View Post
If they plan to have real content rather than a bunch of fluffy ARF reviews of dubious integrity like MAN, MA, etc I'd subscribe.
Amen to that. Now all we need is to bring back American Aircraft Modeler and life will be perfect on both sides of the pond.
May 24, 2012, 06:52 PM
Couldn't agree more, as I said, I loved it growing up and welcome it's return but if it resembles anything like MAN, full of ARF and adverts then forget it.
May 24, 2012, 08:28 PM
The plans is the one reason why i buy rcm&e here in oz. or if there is a good article or if it is a turtorial edition
May 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
Here in the USA, Flying Models is, in my opinion, the best of the general model magazines. It covers all aspects of model aviation, but has considerable construction, free flight, and control line content. I will sign up for Aeromodeller when it becomes available. I have enjoyed it for many years.
May 25, 2012, 12:10 AM
Agreed, Jim, I do wish FM was a bit more consistent, though. Aeromodeller was great for coverage, and I have quite a few of their plans. I don't have any new copies of RCM, or MAN, and MA is no longer available to me. King of all the US magazines was and is Model Builder: it was really hard to decide which one of their plans to build next! I still have a couple of Dragonflys ready to go if I'm too lazy to drag out a histart...
May 25, 2012, 04:21 AM
The UK Radio Modeller had the best plans IMO.
Model builder was a great magazine but hard to get hold of down under so I've been a FM subscriber for many years and still am - but it's getting a bit 'odd' and light on. This is why I'm hoping Aero Modeller is like the way I remember it was. Is it at all possible time will tell.
May 25, 2012, 05:02 AM
It'll be interesting to see how they interpret their statement covering all aspects of the original Aeromodeller as the magazine changed quite a lot over the years, especially their coverage of RC.

I'm happy it's coming back (especially if there's free plans!). Should be a good read
May 25, 2012, 05:50 AM
A guide might be the other half dozen rags in their stable.
May 25, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hey, watch this!

My Too Cents

My current favorites are FM and RCM&E.

I'd vote for the return of RCM.
May 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
RCM? The latest issues of RCM were simply a catalogue of manufacturers and suppliers. The last issue I bought had exactly 2 articles in it dealing with models, all else was rahrah stories on RTFs obviously written by the manufacturer. When the magazine began (I still have some early issues) there were lost of plans, some even full size.

Except FM and Scale Flying Models, full-size plans (savior of the modeler with no cash) are virtually non-existent. It may be fine for some guys to blow $20 on a set of plans, or 5 times that for an RTF, but as a pensioner, I have to watch my cash flow, and free plans in a magazine are very very helpful!
May 26, 2012, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
RCM? The latest issues of RCM were simply a catalogue of manufacturers and suppliers. The last issue I bought had exactly 2 articles in it dealing with models, all else was rahrah stories on RTFs obviously written by the manufacturer. When the magazine began (I still have some early issues) there were lost of plans, some even full size.

Except FM and Scale Flying Models, full-size plans (savior of the modeler with no cash) are virtually non-existent. It may be fine for some guys to blow $20 on a set of plans, or 5 times that for an RTF, but as a pensioner, I have to watch my cash flow, and free plans in a magazine are very very helpful!
At the other end of the spectrum, a cash strapped teenager in aeromodelling free plans are also very helpful
May 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
I miss Bill Northup's Model Builder