Jul 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Well I flew for the first time today FPV.
Its my own personal Independance Day....From LOS

I dont yet have my Ham liscense and of course being very new am not used to looking down and not up (Im using a monitor for now) but will still show and bring my stuff.

As with other Fun Flys Ive gone to I'll post what Freq I am using.

Jason:
RC-72Mhz on Channel 55
VTX- 1.3Ghz either 1258 or 1280.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2012, 12:13 AM
Just trying to get a nut.

Go South?

With all this drama about where to fly, anyone care to go south?

I flew at the park on Lake Crest Drive in Chula Vista off Otay Lake. My RC Club flies float planes at the lake. It's got a huge grass field. Restaurants close by...Mountains in the background. Any time works, but best in late evening or early morning. Clear of controlled airspace.

Here's the Lat/Long
32°38'11.27"N
116°56'1.07"W

There are also a couple of spots from Wueste Road or Otay Lakes Road that we can use.
Jul 09, 2012, 12:18 AM
I still haven't been over there so I'm game
Jul 15, 2012, 12:56 AM
Checked out Dave's Beach today...not sure if it will work. Too many people on the beach, simply walking around and tons of cars driving by...

And that's when the weather was crumby...

I did manage to fly at Rancho Bernardo Community Park. It's just south of Lake Hodges:

33° 2'50.80"N
117° 4'41.95"W

A lot less traffic. A bit constrained by geography...there won't be any long range flying...lols...
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jul 15, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Jul 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
I think DSP is our solution. We will not have any issues there.
Jul 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi
I think DSP is our solution. We will not have any issues there.
Checked it out today...The name is appropriate...lols...It smells...lols...

I flew a pack and got out of there...Between 2 planes, a helicopter, tons of cars parked and a busy road, and yes the smell and the blowing dust...the dust with you know what...lols...Just wasn't fun.

Seriously, is that the best we can do?
Jul 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Tons of Cars parked? Are you sure you were in the right location?

You should have told me and I would have come around. I was flying up at Palomar Airport Road today.
Jul 15, 2012, 09:23 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Busy road?

North on Ponto Rd from Avenida Encinas until the sharp left turn, then go right into the dirt lot next to the railroad tracks.

Im ok going wherever you guys want too.
Is the idea to keep this in North County as the title says?
Last edited by 1320fastback; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Jul 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Yeah - the FPV community is hidden but it's actually big here in North County
Jul 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
I did manage to fly at Rancho Bernardo Community Park. It's just south of Lake Hodges:

33° 2'50.80"N
117° 4'41.95"W

A lot less traffic. A bit constrained by geography...there won't be any long range flying...lols...
I can't get a good location on my phone of those cordinates.
Did you go to Rattlesnake Ridge where the glider guys fly or somewhere down by the parking lots?
Jul 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
DSP is actually pretty cool since you are about a quarter mile away from the ocean - about 2-3min flight time in moderate speed (< 40mph) and once over the ocean, you basically have complete freedom.

Or we can go inland. There are plenty locations in the mountains - maybe somewhere in Escondido - but it's hot there :-) >100F
Jul 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
I think I was in the right place...In the large empty field by Ponto Storage, by the tracks...

I drove by Dave's Beach...I spied a bunch of gliders...Probably should've flown there instead.

I'm up wherever y'all decide to meet. Just let us know.
Jul 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
Y'all interested in doing a FPV day at SEFSD @ Mission Bay?
Jul 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
mdv
mdv
Quote:
I would be interested in this. There is a 400' height limit there due to proximity to Lindberg field. We should check the club rules on FPV and non-member use of the field.

Mark
Jul 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Might want to bounce it by the club's board before we descend upon the club. Plus check the club calendar and make sure it doesn't disrupt an existing event.

Quick Reply