Consdering getting into Micro Helis after some timer on Fixed Wing... - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2003, 05:21 PM
Where's the CA?

Consdering getting into Micro Helis after some timer on Fixed Wing...

And after researching, I have some questions.

How much of my aircraft hardware can I use on a heli, say, the Hummingbird? Here's what I have...

Hitec Laser 4 Tx
Hitec HS555 5-channel Rx
Hitec HS-81 Servos
Etec 1200 mAh Li-Poly batteries

How far should I go into Fixed Wing birds first? Right now I'm flying my 3-channel trainer. Should I wait until I've got Aileron useage down? Or should I just practice on a sim and I'll be O.K?

Thanks for the help.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2003, 05:33 PM
Hooked Heli Human
i am not familiar with the Hummingbird.. but for a newbie and you want to learn helis.. i cant think of any other heli then the LMH Corona.. the reason being is that it is so durable.. crashes are a common thing when learning helis.. with the Corona you really dont have to worry about breaking your wallet out everytime you make a mistake.. mistakes will happen.. we all know it is just a matter of time.. The corona uses 4-channel receiver and it was designed to use HS-81 servos.. so you are already set with those.. For simulators.. really they are great to learn orientation and practice but nothing comes close to actually being outside with your heli and practice practice practice..

good luck on whatever you decide.. i will tell you I was in the same boat as you and wanted to get back into the hobby but this time with a Heli and the LMH Corona was the way for me.. i have never looked back.. what fun..
Nov 03, 2003, 07:39 PM
Mr Jiggy Fly
I practiced on RealFlight before I started flying my Corona. I am VERY SURE it saved me a lot of early crashes and cash. Once I was able to reliably hover the Impala Trainer on the sim I was able to hover the Corona right away. I cant recommend it enough.

Jay
Nov 03, 2003, 08:14 PM
mindblade, i know the micro helis are attractive for a beginner, but please trust me, they are not for beginners. generally, the smaller a heli, the harder it is to fly. 99% of the people on this board will tell you that the corona is the best trainer, and they are right. the corona isn't the best flying heli in the world, but it's big advantage is that it's tough as nails. crashes often result in nothing more than a bent tail boom, which can be bent back. you can use any old 4 channel radio with the corona, and you can get a corona flying for under $500. do a search for corona, and you will find a mountain of existing information.
Nov 03, 2003, 09:52 PM
Hooked Heli Human
i have realflight too.. and yes it is great.. and i used another simulator before I got my Corona.. but nothing beats getting out there and practice.. the Corona has original characteristics that realflight doesnt recreate.. thats why i said.. a sim will help you learn orientation.. (nose in for sure) but nothing beats practice with the heli outside so you learn how it actually reacts.. I learned to hover my Corona by putting training gear on and going for it its tough so that worry of crashing and having a huge repair is gone with the Corona.. im not saying that things wont break or you wont have to replace lost parts.. but the replacement parts are cheap enough to not worry about it.. most of the time you just walk over and pick it up.. inspect it.. and hover again.. no damage

my 2 cents
Last edited by gmaster; Nov 03, 2003 at 09:54 PM.
Nov 03, 2003, 10:14 PM
In my opinion, going further with fixed wing has nothing to do with flying a heli. I have flown (and was an instructor) fixed wing for years. Big gasers and more recently elec. I am new on heli, and progressing slowly, very slowly. It's a whole differant ball game. I also agree with the others regarding the Corona. If you master the Corona, then go up or down in size, but most of all have fun
Nov 03, 2003, 10:23 PM
Go with the Corona!!! I didn't, bought a Hummingbird for my first Heli and could have bought 2 or 3 Corona's with all the repairs that I had learning how to hover and fly the HB. Can do it now but wish I would have gone with the Corona first. Just got my Corona and can't wait to get her in the air. SAGE
Nov 03, 2003, 10:44 PM
Where's the CA?
So out of the aforementioned equipment, which can be used with the Corona? And with the Hummingbird?

I'd like to stick with my LiPolys if possible, as long as going back to Nimh/NiCd doesnt mean spending another $50+ on a charger.
Nov 03, 2003, 11:20 PM
Hooked Heli Human
ok.. for what you listed..

Hitec Laser 4 Tx
Hitec HS555 5-channel Rx
Hitec HS-81 Servos

all this is easily used on the corona.. as a matter of fact.. i use a Hitec Eclipse Tx.. a Hitec 555 receiver and 3 HS-81 servos.. (actually I got HS-81MGs) so you are set with those.. the LiPos I am not sure they will work for you.. I am not familiar with LiPos setups.. there are however tons of people that use LiPos on their Coronas and you might want to do a search to see what kind they are using and see if its similar to what you use.. I myself use NiCds.. just because of the price

good luck I think you will love Helis.. the challenge is what I find the best with helis..
Nov 04, 2003, 12:42 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Well, the Corona is the way to go for a first heli!

Don't be sucked in by "i want to fly in the house only!" Don't get me wrong, micros are great, but not as easy.

Check out the EHBG up top of the forums for alot more info and good luck!!!!!!!