Oct 07, 2013, 06:18 PM

My first gimbal proyect

Hi guys, i am kind of a newbie with the hoverfly gimbal controller.

I started this hole gimbal issue by makind one of my own to carry gopro and canon sx260.
I already started to 3dprint some of the pieces.

What can you tell me, or pre-recommend me about the board configuration towards this gimbal model.?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2013, 06:24 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo. Save yourself now. Don't do it!!!

In all seriousness, this is old tech. Build or buy a brushless gimbal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreasdiaz
Hi guys, i am kind of a newbie with the hoverfly gimbal controller.

I started this hole gimbal issue by makind one of my own to carry gopro and canon sx260.
I already started to 3dprint some of the pieces.

What can you tell me, or pre-recommend me about the board configuration towards this gimbal model.?
Oct 08, 2013, 01:58 AM
Flight Instructor
Absolutely! This is old technology. Buy a brushless gimbal controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001
Nooooooooooooooooooo. Save yourself now. Don't do it!!!

In all seriousness, this is old tech. Build or buy a brushless gimbal.
Jan 15, 2014, 10:38 AM
hey, one questions to the experts here
can someone (who have the AV200 with HFG) export his configuartion to a file and send me? we have troubles with the configuration to get it work and we also canīt say what is wrong. we are using potentiometer controlled servos for roll and pitch.
br Gernot

Edit: Okay, the feature to import config files is not possible with the software. But we get it working, the two axis are stable now, only a little bit fine tuning and its okay.
Last edited by wickedgaia; Jan 16, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:42 PM
Flight Instructor
OH MY GOD! This technology is dead! You need to move on to a brushless setup. The servo driven technology is archaic. Using this technology is like going back to VCR's. Brushless gimbals are like Blu ray. Get yourself an Alexmos controller with a basic brushless gimbal and start from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgaia
hey, one questions to the experts here
can someone (who have the AV200 with HFG) export his configuartion to a file and send me? we have troubles with the configuration to get it work and we also canīt say what is wrong. we are using potentiometer controlled servos for roll and pitch.
br Gernot

Edit: Okay, the feature to import config files is not possible with the software. But we get it working, the two axis are stable now, only a little bit fine tuning and its okay.
Jan 19, 2014, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer
OH MY GOD! This technology is dead! You need to move on to a brushless setup. The servo driven technology is archaic. Using this technology is like going back to VCR's. Brushless gimbals are like Blu ray. Get yourself an Alexmos controller with a basic brushless gimbal and start from there.
I disagree. I was just on set working with a movi operator. It nearly killed our shoot when they had to rebalance the camera for another lens. I still use my cinestar 3 axis which still gives us the flexibility we need to swap cameras/lens during a shoot day. The truth is you need both options in a professional setting.
Jan 29, 2014, 01:55 PM
Flight Instructor

Servo vs brushless

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin
I disagree. I was just on set working with a movi operator. It nearly killed our shoot when they had to rebalance the camera for another lens. I still use my cinestar 3 axis which still gives us the flexibility we need to swap cameras/lens during a shoot day. The truth is you need both options in a professional setting.
The main problem is that servo driven units don't have the response time that a brushless unit does. I used the Hoverfly gimbal and then Freefly Radians for a couple years. The Radians were very good but still didn't compare to the speed and smoothness of a brushless setup. I build large custom brushless gimbals (similar to Movi but way cheaper) and yes it is a hassle to rebalance per camera/lens. But even a servo driven unit needs to be similarly balanced or you get more servo jitters in the picture as well as a slight delay in response. There are some experiments going on with brushless belt driven systems (non-direct drive). This will make more torque than the direct driven version but may introduce delay. In the end a servo driven unit is o.k. if its a handheld unit with a smooth operator. On a flying ship in the wind its no good. One of the tests I remember doing was a zoomed in shot with a 5D while hovering in the wind. I couldn't believe how stable the picture was. Not possible with a servo unit.
Jan 30, 2014, 01:44 PM
We're using brushless gimbals too but sometimes attach skyline and yaw servo, eg. on windy conditions or on fast movements yaw brushless engine doesn't offer that force required to keep position, inertia force sometimes is too strong to compensate it by brushless engine. maybe bigger/stronger engine will help with that.
Jan 31, 2014, 03:01 AM
Flight Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by migu
We're using brushless gimbals too but sometimes attach skyline and yaw servo, eg. on windy conditions or on fast movements yaw brushless engine doesn't offer that force required to keep position, inertia force sometimes is too strong to compensate it by brushless engine. maybe bigger/stronger engine will help with that.
Have you tried the 70 amp brushless controllers? You can use up to 6S and they are very strong. Thats what i'm using now along with some monster iflight 8017 motors. I don't fly more than 15-20 mph in most cases but I have seen some video of 60mph wind test on a fast moving RC heli. It was perfectly stable. I know what you mean about the wind when using the original alexmos controller. They would have a hard time due to aerodynamic forces of the wind at higher speeds but thats no longer a problem with the new more powerful controllers.
Jan 31, 2014, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Have you tried the 70 amp brushless controllers? You can use up to 6S and they are very strong.
Nope, I just connected engines directly to Alexmos controller at my default 3S which I'm using to power alexmos, camera and video link. I didn't think about use higher voltage and separate brushless controller.

Quote:
They would have a hard time due to aerodynamic forces of the wind at higher speeds but thats no longer a problem with the new more powerful controllers.
What new controllers?
Jan 31, 2014, 08:27 PM
Flight Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by migu
Nope, I just connected engines directly to Alexmos controller at my default 3S which I'm using to power alexmos, camera and video link. I didn't think about use higher voltage and separate brushless controller.

What new controllers?
Here is the link. I own one and they are very nice.

https://www.gothelirc.com/shopdispla...t=DSLR+by+Etec
Jul 11, 2014, 10:59 AM
rookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopis
I just answered your support ticket - but I wanted to post this here so anyone else that came across this post had the correct answer.

When this happens on the yaw axis, go into "servo settings" for yaw and check the box marked "reverse direction" underneath the servo center point setting. Or if the box is checked already, uncheck it.

It is trying to driver the servo the wrong direction - so it ends up oscillating around the point 180 degrees away from where it should be.

Once you change the check box, it should work fine.
just tried the "reverse" option and it helped significantly
thanks

Quick Reply