Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Stacky: I have burned 4 lipos already this morning at 15 drgees F. outside and have learned a great deal. It seems that it is my Photohigher AV200 gimbal and the way in which it is mounted that is causing many of the problems I have been experiencing. I clamped off the gimbal from side to side, flew it, looked at the video and noticed right away that I no longer had those "roll twitches" (90% of it was gone). Then I did the same thing with the gimbal from front to back (which is where it is the sloppiest) and it solved the majority of those twitches too. The AV200 is really pretty flimsy when you compare it to something like a Cinestar gimbal which is so rigid in so many ways. While I can improve upon this somewhat I am still stuck with the AV200 for the time being so there is only so much I can do with what I have to work with. I see a better gimbal on my wish list for the near future.

Thanks so much for you suggestions. They were a good motivator for me to re-examine an area that I thought had already been answered, but I was wrong. Also: I found that when I dialed back my WKM gains by 20 points this also helped a great deal.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
Registered User

AV200 with HFG - Much better results now...


Edit
Last edited by rancherpete; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Jan 03, 2013, 02:28 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Excellent work. Can you show us what kind of damper you put on? I have the AV200 also and is very sloppy.

Thanks
Jan 03, 2013, 02:38 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Excellent work. Can you show us what kind of damper you put on? I have the AV200 also and is very sloppy.

Thanks
I wish that I could tell you exactly what I put on here but it was a cheap little rotary damper that came with a very inexpensive gimbal from China. The part was n my junk box. If you search for "rotary damper" (which I have done) and get any cheap little damper they will cost only a few bucks and do not need a great deal of resistance in order to provide good results. The trick is how to attach it to the pivot point of the gimbal. I made a little aluminum bracket to hold the damper in place and then had to find a way to make the movement of the camera tray stay locked to the shaft of the gimbal. Its a little tricky and there is not only one way of doing it but if you do it and make a solid connection between the camera tray and the rotary damper it will solve a lot of problems. I was absolutely blown away by the improvement I saw. Perhaps that's why the video itself was named YIPPY!
Jan 12, 2013, 06:12 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar

hfg setup HELP


I am trying to setup my HFG for almost three days now with no luck.
I did everything according to the manual.
The problem I have is in the servo configuration tab under the yaw servo the tab is greyed out.
I can't adjust any settings. I can enable the servo and it runs continously.
The tilt and roll tabs ar fine I can adjust the settings.

Can anyone help.
I use the JR X9393 with the AR7000Rx.
here are a couple of pics.

Thanks
Bill
Jan 12, 2013, 08:13 PM
3D Heli and Planes
jbdww's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
I am trying to setup my HFG for almost three days now with no luck.
I did everything according to the manual.
The problem I have is in the servo configuration tab under the yaw servo the tab is greyed out.
I can't adjust any settings. I can enable the servo and it runs continously.
The tilt and roll tabs ar fine I can adjust the settings.

Can anyone help.
I use the JR X9393 with the AR7000Rx.
here are a couple of pics.

Thanks
Bill
I think Auto Compensation needs to be enabled.
Jan 13, 2013, 08:12 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Is enabled now.
When I put the switch in pos "0" no shaking, it compesates butI can't use the sticks.
Pos, 2 and 3 the pan axis is shaking badly back and forth and I can use the sticks but that doesnt stop the shaking.
The center point on the servo tab is set at 1.5ms.
What else can I adjust?
Only problem I have is with the Yaw (pan) channel

Thanks
Jan 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
Registered User

Power


Hey guys,

I'm using a spectrum ar8000 for my flight control rx. It has an open channel that I have connected to the HFG pitch channel. My ar8000 gets power from my flight pack. When I plug in my flight pack, my HFG gets power and so does my gimbal.

I have my 6v ubec and 3slipo alll ready to go. I'm not sure if I need to connect it now. My servos do run best on 6volts. Will my 6volts overide the volts coming from the ar8000 rx?? Should I plug it in also?

Thanks
Jan 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
Registered User
You should ony have one source of power coming in to the gimbal cotroller not two. If you are using a single receiver you only need to run a single wire for signal to the receiver using a common ground. If you use a seperate battery you will need to run ground as well just not hot lead.

Michael64

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
Hey guys,

I'm using a spectrum ar8000 for my flight control rx. It has an open channel that I have connected to the HFG pitch channel. My ar8000 gets power from my flight pack. When I plug in my flight pack, my HFG gets power and so does my gimbal.

I have my 6v ubec and 3slipo alll ready to go. I'm not sure if I need to connect it now. My servos do run best on 6volts. Will my 6volts overide the volts coming from the ar8000 rx?? Should I plug it in also?

Thanks
Jan 14, 2013, 09:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
You should ony have one source of power coming in to the gimbal cotroller not two. If you are using a single receiver you only need to run a single wire for signal to the receiver using a common ground. If you use a seperate battery you will need to run ground as well just not hot lead.

Michael64
Yes I'm only using one receiver.
So pull the red wire connecting the receiver to the HFG?
Jan 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
Registered User
S11D336B's Avatar
You need to adjust the center point of your yaw servo to get it to stop spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
I am trying to setup my HFG for almost three days now with no luck.
I did everything according to the manual.
The problem I have is in the servo configuration tab under the yaw servo the tab is greyed out.
I can't adjust any settings. I can enable the servo and it runs continously.
The tilt and roll tabs ar fine I can adjust the settings.

Can anyone help.
I use the JR X9393 with the AR7000Rx.
here are a couple of pics.

Thanks
Bill
Jan 16, 2013, 09:57 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Thank you 11S
I did that, now when I pan the gimbal stops in one spot and goes back and forth.
Now what?
Tha other thing is that on Pos"1" the tilt travels 90 degrees but on pos "2" it only travels 45 degrees.

Bill
Jan 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
Registered User
S11D336B's Avatar
You need to adjust the range of the tilt for angle and offset speed. You can find this under Configuration & Calibration -> Receiver configuration.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Thank you 11S
I did that, now when I pan the gimbal stops in one spot and goes back and forth.
Now what?
Tha other thing is that on Pos"1" the tilt travels 90 degrees but on pos "2" it only travels 45 degrees.

Bill
Jan 24, 2013, 05:03 PM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
With the below fireware update, What is the output rate for servos before the v1.9 firmware update?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoverflyGIMBAL firmware version 1.9

Ben Halsted
posted this on Jan 22 03:15 pm
There are two changes in this firmware.

1) You can now select the output rate for the servos (200hz, 100hz, or 50hz). Analog servos should use 50Hz. The majority of digital servos will use 200Hz, but a few on the market may use 100Hz.

2) There is a feature to limit the roll servo when the tilt angle exceeds a certain amount. This is useful for some of the more exotic continuous rotation gimbal designs in which the roll axis comes after the pitch axis in priority.
Jan 25, 2013, 11:02 PM
3D Heli and Planes
jbdww's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
With the below fireware update, What is the output rate for servos before the v1.9 firmware update?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoverflyGIMBAL firmware version 1.9

Ben Halsted
posted this on Jan 22 03:15 pm
There are two changes in this firmware.

1) You can now select the output rate for the servos (200hz, 100hz, or 50hz). Analog servos should use 50Hz. The majority of digital servos will use 200Hz, but a few on the market may use 100Hz.

2) There is a feature to limit the roll servo when the tilt angle exceeds a certain amount. This is useful for some of the more exotic continuous rotation gimbal designs in which the roll axis comes after the pitch axis in priority.
So where do you set the output rate? I do not see this option.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Wookong-M Owners Thread *Pics*Videos*Settings* Z06 Tony Multirotor Drone Talk 1793 Jan 26, 2017 02:31 PM
Discussion HoverflyGIMBAL Demonstration Videos photronix Aerial Photography 10 May 18, 2012 03:53 PM
Link HoverflyGIMBAL Manual and Setup Client hoverben Aerial Photography 1 May 17, 2012 02:25 PM
Discussion HoverflyGIMBAL - Input Voltage? Manual? defxxx Aerial Photography 10 May 17, 2012 01:54 PM
New Product HoverflyGIMBAL - Now Shipping! photronix Multirotor Drone Talk 9 May 15, 2012 12:46 PM