First Tricopter build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
smoking91awd
Build Log

First Tricopter build

Decided to build a tricopter, started working on it today and just thought I'd post some pictures and details

Here is some parts being used;
DT750 motors
Turnigy Plush 18amp ESC
arducopter Mega (APM1) board with magnetometer
3s 2200mah
11*4.7 props
RCexplorer V2.5 tail assembly
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)
HobbyKing E-OSD 1
900MHZ 100mW Tx/Rx & 1/3-inch CCD Camera NTSC
Frame is also RCexplorer style, with wooden arms.

decided to go cheaper things time because it will be my beginner tricopter. I put my camera gear in my DT750 box afyer I put a couple of vents on it for heat exchange it should be good, just need to work up a mount for the box.

A special thanks goes out to the rcgroup members Wingnut13, Petronio, and dssaction. All three guys was great and very helpful, I would love to do business with them again (when needed).
Last edited by smoking91awd; May 20, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2012, 09:17 PM
smoking91awd
Another Tricopter flight (0 min 41 sec)

Tricopter arducopter third flight (2 min 57 sec)

First tricopter crash (0 min 26 sec)
Jun 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
Did you like the build quality of the dt750 motors? I use them on my Quad and I feel they're too weak to sustain small crashes...

BTW, cool videos.

Vineet
Jun 05, 2012, 10:23 PM
smoking91awd
well I have had two big rashes today off camera though , I was about 100ft up and the battery came loose and I only had to replace the two zip ties holding the motor on because it land on the left motor. Still no issues so if one does go bad I will buy more DT750s. I haven't had a problem yet knock on wood lol.

On a better note I am flying a lot better today lol just need to pick up more batteries for more time in the field.

Don't know why I lost power in this video but I got to take it out tomorrow and see if it does it again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Mnrci7jqyBA
Last edited by smoking91awd; Jun 05, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
May 03, 2013, 08:01 PM

Radio setting needed

hi,
Can you please share with me what settings did you make in the T6 Software (for the Remote system) for each of the 5 channels. I guess you used also Mode 2.
I built my tricopter but i am struggling to find the settings required for the radio. I am also using the kk2 board. I tried to find the settings myself but it does not work. When i give throttle than one motor starts to spin than i increase the throttle and the second motor starts and so on the third also starts when i am on 50 percent throttle. I guess that all 3 motors should start simultaneously!. I guess that the problem can also be not calibrated eSC but i doubt this. I calibrated them with the KK2 board pressing buttons 1 and 4 together....but the motors again start at different throttle level each. I would be very thankful if u can help me on this.