This thread is privately moderated by sir_clive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

OSG pimped for the Slope #2

Things are moving...

I ditched the previous wing (it took me some tears to rip that spar out of the EPS) and made a new one, this time painfully taking care that the wire of my hot-wire cutter is as straight as possible.

I'm very happy with the result - good that I got rid of the old wing!

In the mean time, the laminating epoxy is ordered (Hobby King sells stuff from BSI, it should be very good), 48g GFK too, now I can only wait. There is enough to do anyway, I won't be bored.

I also ordered the servos from Giant Cod (now Giant Shark): Tower Pro MG90, cheap ones getting pretty good reviews, they should be here until the end of the week.

I was contemplating for a long time whether to put that polyhedral or whether to go with a flat wing. Finally, for practical reasons (position of ailerons / flaperons), I opted for a flat wing. Unfortunately, my main spar was already cut to 90cm flat wing segment of a (planned) polyhedral wing and glued in, so now I have to think of a way to connect it to the outer panels. This hobby seems to be a never ending series of bad decisions...

One thing bothers me a bit: the S6063 profile thins out into virtually NOTHING. The TE is so thin, the hot wire cutter melded way into the EPS, destroying some last 2-3cm. Even if it didn't, the last approx. 2cm would be thinner than the two 1mm balsa skin sheets. I decided to cut off the trailing (and badly cut) EPS part, glue a 3mm depron sheet instead and sand it down as thin as possible. You can see the result in the pics below, I did an trial run (sheeting with balsa, adding depron). Looks OK, but it's not *the* S6063 profile.

I'm also a bit worried whether such thin ailerons will be able to withstand the wind forces. I hope the GFK will give them the needed strength, without making them too thick.

Covering this wing with balsa will be one stinky job! I was lucky to find one shop which sells UHU Por in a 570g can (for QUARTER a price of what one needs to pay for the same amount packed in tubes!), but just opening the can was a bad thing to do in a living room. I guess I'll have to move in the computer room to continue the job.

Here some pics.
Last edited by sir_clive; May 20, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply