BluFO Parkflyer Build Log - Page 5 - RC Groups
May 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
I'm going for a top mount fan to see if it will rog without wheels. Thought of combining that with the BluFo....

I wish I weren't wprking the next couple weekends
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
This is gonna be good.....

I wonder about a vectored thrust BluFO?
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
May 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
You could do it easily like people do on the Twins, put two EDFs outboard and then just use variable throttle for the vectored thrust. Mechanically much simpler than a vectored mount, could accomplish it all within your radio really.
May 22, 2013, 03:10 PM
Thought about that too, but have no way of fabricating parts. Gee, I wonder who could fabricate 3D plastic swiveling nozzle parts...
May 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
Tim, I need to get in touch with you to talk about randy Covington. I may have a way to get off work... Going to sleep now, Joel will probably have v2 down by the time I wake up!
May 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
No need to swivel anything with twin edfs you can vector the thrust air hogs style in static mounts. 3d printed swivels would obviously rock but that's not absolutely necessary.
May 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcphill
Thought about that too, but have no way of fabricating parts. Gee, I wonder who could fabricate 3D plastic swiveling nozzle parts...

I know a guy with a 3D plastic printing machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcphill
Tim, I need to get in touch with you to talk about randy Covington. I may have a way to get off work... Going to sleep now, Joel will probably have v2 down by the time I wake up!
I will PM you my phone number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
No need to swivel anything with twin edfs you can vector the thrust air hogs style in static mounts. 3d printed swivels would obviously rock but that's not absolutely necessary.
I was thinking about full vectored thrust. I agree, differential thrust would be cool for flat spins and such, but vectored? yea, that would rock. I need to take a long hard look at designing a nozzle
May 22, 2013, 07:32 PM
Man, that is a truly beautiful airplane. In this era of sticking gear on the outside of flat foam, it is a pleasure to see someone take pride in the appearance of his work.
RE
May 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
Mexia Izonfia
Ok, how about this: Twin 50mm EDFs with paddle style thrust vectoring for piltch and roll then use throttle mixing for thrust vectoring in yaw. And throw on some wing tip extensions because they look cool.
May 22, 2013, 08:34 PM
That looks good, Joel! Are the thrust tubes going to neck down to 80%FSA for max speed, or will you leave them larger for increased thrust?

I need to invest in some ducted fans, I guess...
May 23, 2013, 02:10 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Tim,

Looks like you need a nic change, to IflyFO
May 23, 2013, 07:11 AM
That looks like something that would have flown from the middle of nevada, on dark nights.
Very neat.
May 24, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
Are the thrust tubes going to neck down to 80%FSA for max speed, or will you leave them larger for increased thrust?
I just made them straight tubes on the 3D model I posted. I suppose I will need to model the tapered outlet version as well.

In the mean time, the single EDF version gets closer to flight testing...
May 24, 2013, 10:43 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Wonder if the hump of the cockpit area will cause some shadowing effects in the fan's performance. If so, twin fans to get them outside the shadow of the cockpit may be the ticket.
May 24, 2013, 01:48 PM
I hope this is not a silly question and I missed something somewhere, but how do you print out the plans? I see it is 24 X 48" Even if I do a poster print in acrobat and tape the pages together that is a ton of pages to line up. Is there an easier way for those who do not have huge printers or plotters? maybe a version with 1 part per page or something so that you don't have to piece everything together? I understand that big parts may span pages, but small ones don't have to. Is there a trick in acrobat to force it to print certain things on certain pages maybe?
Thanks
Ringo