BluFO Parkflyer Build Log - Page 35 - RC Groups
Jun 20, 2017, 12:12 AM
Go fast, turn left....

My XL maiden

This thing is awesome!

Three to four mph winds on an overcast day with scattered showers.
Not a problem.

XL Maiden (5 min 29 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2017, 02:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer

A customer's BluFO

Bob Miller from the McMinn County RC Club in Athens, TN and his great looking BluFO!
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Aug 04, 2017, 02:26 PM
Very sharp!
Aug 06, 2017, 08:47 PM
Look into my eyes...
I just got one of these to try something a little different.

EPP BluFo night flyer from ReadymadeRC (0 min 11 sec)
Aug 12, 2017, 05:36 PM
Look into my eyes...
Quick follow-up, I maidened mine today. WOW! What an incredible flier. Very stable even at slow speed. This is gonna be just too good...
Aug 13, 2017, 07:26 AM
Just call me Ῥέᾱ
What better place to spend National Model Aviation Day than at the birthplace of the BluFO. When I arrived Joel handed me the Tx and said “You want to fly it?”. “IT” was the XL. So I tooled around with it for a while. Of course Joel had put a bigger motor in it so it has never-ending vertical now but it still has the gentle majesty of the XL if you just chug along at half-throttle or less. There were a lot of BluFOs to be seen today and a little combat that had us wondering what had happened to Joels motor to make all the noise. It was just a streamer wrapped around the motor that would slap around making it sound like something was about to fall off.

BluFO Combat (0 min 46 sec)

My BluFO with Joel’s XL
Aug 14, 2017, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCjetdude
I just got one of these to try something a little different.
I recognize that paint job! Looks good
Aug 14, 2017, 09:10 AM
Kit Manufacturer
There is going to be a bunch of XLs at the NEAT Fair. Sold a couple more to the guys at Binghamton this past weekend that are planning on having them at NEAT. I should have a booth model in the next week and then I can do some mods on my Joe Nall one for lights and such. Hey Joel, what power system/prop are you running? Craig Sexton (Fancypicker) did a fly around of Tim King's XL this weekend and posted a video

BluFO XL (1 min 20 sec)
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Aug 14, 2017, 10:14 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Hi Jim,

I pushed the recommended 2216 motor just a bit too far and let out the magic smoke. A 12x8 prop was a bit much for it.

I replaced it with a Sunnysky Angel A2814 900 kv (with a 12x6 prop) :

http://www.buddyrc.com/power-system/...ane-motor.html

To use this motor with the supplied prop adapter you will need to cut off the shaft to clear the carbon spare behind the firewall. Or, you can reverse the shaft and get a 5mm collet prop adapter. I chose to reverse the shaft.

With this motor, you need to reinforce a few areas, or you will have some serious flutter at full throttle.

The three areas I added carbon spars to stiffen up the airframe are: 1) the rear edge of the prop slot. It would distort and start to make noises at speed. 2) the trailing edges of the elevons. At speed the elevons would flex and lose some authority. 3) the outer wing panels. With the new motor I started getting tip flutter at speed. My added spars essentially extend the rear cross spar out to the wing tips.

As soon as I get a chance to take some pics of the mods, I will post them. Hopefully later today/tonight.

-Joel-
Last edited by MetroGTi; Aug 14, 2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added prop size
Aug 14, 2017, 12:18 PM
Hey Joel,

Thanks for the head's up on the additional CF you incorporated into your XL. I've upped the power in my XL as well and also preemptively added CF to the elevons and behind the prop slot but didn't anticipate flex at the tips. I think I can envision how you extended the rearmost cross spar but look forward to your pics to make sure I'm on the same page

Rob
Aug 14, 2017, 03:53 PM
As Jim mentioned, got one at the Aeros' Festival of Giants this last weekend. Will want to see where the extra CF was put as well. I have a habit of overpowering just about everything. Just have to avoid those figure nines Jim was talking about.
Aug 14, 2017, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGTi
Here are photos of the added spars
Perfect - thanks! I was wondering how you laid out that rear spar extension - seems obvious once you see how someone else did it

Rob
Aug 15, 2017, 09:19 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGTi
Hi Jim,

I pushed the recommended 2216 motor just a bit too far and let out the magic smoke. A 12x8 prop was a bit much for it.

I replaced it with a Sunnysky Angel A2814 900 kv (with a 12x6 prop) :

http://www.buddyrc.com/power-system/...ane-motor.html

To use this motor with the supplied prop adapter you will need to cut off the shaft to clear the carbon spare behind the firewall. Or, you can reverse the shaft and get a 5mm collet prop adapter. I chose to reverse the shaft.

With this motor, you need to reinforce a few areas, or you will have some serious flutter at full throttle.

The three areas I added carbon spars to stiffen up the airframe are: 1) the rear edge of the prop slot. It would distort and start to make noises at speed. 2) the trailing edges of the elevons. At speed the elevons would flex and lose some authority. 3) the outer wing panels. With the new motor I started getting tip flutter at speed. My added spars essentially extend the rear cross spar out to the wing tips.

As soon as I get a chance to take some pics of the mods, I will post them. Hopefully later today/tonight.

-Joel-
Not surprised you smoked the 880kv motor, 12x6 was about as far as I was willing to push it based on tinkering in ecalc when we were laying out the powertrain. 12 x8 was likely more a matter of when than if in terms of magic smoke.

Not suprised it needed more CF, you upsized the motor by roughly 50% just looking at weight of the motor alone. The XL weighs almost nothing for it's overall size, so that much more oomph yeah things will shake a bit.
Aug 15, 2017, 10:09 AM
Mexia Izonfia
I knew I was pushing it with the 12x8. I tried an 11x8 and an 11x7 as well, but wasn't satisfied with the limited reserve power with any of them.

The 900 kv I chose is weights only about 50% more but handles about 80% more watts. It seem like the larger stator (28mm vs 22mm) is better suited to the larger prop as I am getting about 60% more max thrust with the 12x6 without a whole lot more amp draw.

I can now loaf around at high alpha with half throttle and then punch it when I need to get out of the stupid situations I get myself into. It's fun to hang there with the nose up at a 70° to 80° angle and have to work the throttle to keep from gaining altitude.