BluFO Parkflyer Build Log - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
Mexia Izonfia
The firewall is a 1.5" x 1.75" square of 1/8" thick lite-ply. It is glued in place with hot glue or epoxy.

The Emax motor had an extra long shaft, so I cut a little over 1/4" off the shaft.
Last edited by MetroGTi; May 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
Mexia Izonfia
The pushrods were made from CF rod, music wire and heat shrink.
May 19, 2012, 11:50 PM
Mexia Izonfia
And the battery and RX locations.
May 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Mexia Izonfia
And a shot of the finished model.

She came in at 11.82 oz RTF,
Last edited by MetroGTi; May 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
May 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Very NICE !!!
May 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
Ground-Attack!
Any Video? How does it fly? Land? Roll?
Jun 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
Mexia Izonfia
Sorry, no video yet. I need to find someone with a better camera.

She flies great. At full throttle she zooms along like she's on rails, but she can slow way down and almost hover at high alpha. She rolls like crazy at high rates, files as good inverted as right side up and outside loops are as tight as inside loops.

We've had been using them for combat, but have started pylon racing them as well. Friday evening we had a mid-air coming around one pylon and I went straight in at full bore creating a very graphic representation of the term "crumple zone". The crash happened just before 8pm. After dinner I cut of the old nose off and built a new one. After about two to three hours of actual work, she was ready to fly again.
Jun 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mexia Izonfia
This isn't the greatest video (camera phone) but here is a couple clips from our impromptu pylon racing.

BluFO Pylon Racing (4 min 32 sec)
Aug 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
Mexia Izonfia
More video:

BluFO Parkflyer foamie (5 min 1 sec)

BluFO Parkflyer Onboard Video (4 min 49 sec)
Aug 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Mexia Izonfia
Another video...

BluFO Parkflyer "Air to Air" Video (5 min 38 sec)
Aug 20, 2012, 04:49 PM
Just call me Ῥέᾱ

White—BluFO

Here are a couple of pictures of my interpretation of Joel’s BluFO from his CNC cut version. It’s the same as his original but it’s all “tabbed-and-slotted” for easy assembly. Thanks Joel! It goes together very nicely. Maiden flight tomorrow.

David
Aug 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
Just call me Ῥέᾱ

Maiden Flight

OK. Exceed Rocket Series 2210, 1200Kv motor with a 9x3.8 prop will move the BluFO fast enough to fly . . . . . . . at full throttle. Since that’s the only prop I had on hand suitable for this motor it’s what I used. After a stop at the LHS I have a few others. 8x6 will be the next one to try.
Even with the 9x3.8 it will climb and with the suggested starting throws as my hi-rate settings it does some pretty snappy rolls. Can’t wait to see this thing go with the 8x6.
I didn’t have enough distinction between top and bottom either. Working on the solution for that.
It was a lot of fun the first time out. Looking forward to lots of more fun flights.

David
Aug 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
My plans are in my blog
Nice looking plane.
Sep 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
ab amicis auxilio parvulo

BluFO Lineage

I am one of the Team BluFO club builders that Joel referenced earlier in this thread. Our ships have met in the skies over Montissippi Park many times and are still around to do battle again. As the attached photo shows, we had built a number of examples of BluFO's and probably violated some sort of non-proliferation treaty our government has with some other country.
Sep 02, 2012, 08:19 PM
ab amicis auxilio parvulo

BluFO Inspiration

Joel was inspired to come up with his design after I took some liberties with the original Blue Foam Wonder which itself has been around for sometime. He both stylized it even more and developed a better flying aircraft to boot.

In the the second air video, you see glimpses of my BluFO as I am pursued around the field by Joel.