Jun 24, 2013, 06:26 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Here are the flight pictures I mentioned that Steve (sawatt) took and Jason (BrownEyedFool) launched for me
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2013, 06:39 AM
very nice !!
Jun 24, 2013, 07:09 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Looks good, Jim!

How'd the water flights go?
Jun 24, 2013, 10:08 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
Looks good, Jim!

How'd the water flights go?
I never made it down to the lake at the event. We were parked up at the runway so I just hand launched it. I'm supposed to go over my buddy's waterfront tomorrow morning to try it out. There is a lot of local interest and I was told to bring 4 kits/completers. I will bring the video camera also and try to get some
Jun 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joel, how successful has your HBluO been taking off from grass? Jim couldn't get his to take off in relatively short cropped grass. It was bare depron with no slippery stuff treatment on the bottom, it may not pivot enough on the step to get up attitude because of the rudder.

Mine is built, I just need the rudder servo and pushrods and then it's tuning throws and which holes in the horns. If it survives a flight or two it'll get paint and minwax. I mounted my aileron servos with the horns to the inside of the pocket rather than outside. Debating whether to keep it that way or go to the effort to snake those servo connectors back under the side of the fuse to reverse them.
Jun 24, 2013, 08:57 PM
Mexia Izonfia
I have flown the prototype off of grass several times, though do not believe I have tried a grass takeoff since I extended the rudder. So, you may be correct that the extended rudder may have a detrimental effect on grass takeoffs. I will try to get to the field and try a ground takeoff with the prototype to see if it will still do it. Since I've got the build from Jim's kit version finished, I will try to do a side by side comparison between the two as well.

It seemed like the extra rudder above the water was what really helped the taxi handling, so we might be able to trim a bit from the bottom of the rudder to get back the ground takeoff ability if that is indeed the problem.

On the prototype, I covered the bottom surface of the floats with 1.5 mil laminating film to help protect the foam. That may be helping it slide on the grass. I already did the same on the kit build, so I can't do a comparison there.

The prototype did not leap into the air when taking off from grass. It took a bit of a run before it had the speed to fly, and then, just a little up elevator would get it to lift.

Calm water takeoffs are similar. If the water is really smooth, then it needs to get up to speed before it will break free, and too much up elevator will dig the tip floats in and slow it down. If there is little chop on the water, then it starts skipping off the tops of the waves and will jump into the air faster.

Another factor could be that the cut down prop I'm using on the prototype might be giving just a bit more thrust. I've got an APC 6 x 5.5 on the kit build, and can try swapping the props to see if that makes a difference as well.

I'll have to do a side by side test here at the lake as well to verify the water handling.

I will report back ASAP.

Joel
Jun 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
We were talking late Saturday night about the potential utility of adding one more foam thickness to the bottom of the floats to give it just another degree or two of rotation at the step before the rudder hits. I don't have laminating film (haven't found a local print shop to vulture some roll ends from yet) but can do either packing tape or scotch tough transparent duct tape easily enough.

Will wait and see how it works for you.
Jun 24, 2013, 09:40 PM
Kit Manufacturer
and it was even worse sunday morning at 6am with the dew on the grass

I've broken a separate thread out for the kit version and Joel will be doing the instruction pictures over there so this can go back to the original BluFO thread before we hijacked it
Jul 06, 2013, 07:35 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Well there's another H-Blu-O in the world, hand cut from the plans in the thread. All Foam Tac for the glue. Will try and maiden it this weekend. Main adjustments or adaptations from "stock" are the 3" extensions on the motor leads, 2 washers under each of the bottom two ears of the motor mount (hope I got it right this is my first pusher build). 20 clicks of subtrim up on both elevons. Laid them out flat with a steel ruler and EZ links then used subtrim so they'd be consistent.

Ailerons I currently have 40 and 60 for lo and hi with 25 or 30% expo on both settings. Rudder is 50% throw with 25% expo in both cases. These are SWAG numbers but I know I don't need a ton of throw in general.

Looks an awesome little plane Joel, glad you invented it. I have a kit on the shelf too, awaiting final tweaks from Jim. I have some GWS 3-blade 7" props awaiting the taller pylon, that appears to be one of the better thrust producing props I've seen data for.

Anyway, a starting pic and a few at the other end.
Jul 06, 2013, 10:53 AM
Kit Manufacturer
you should also post updates over here
Jul 06, 2013, 08:17 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Was leery of crossposting too much, it is an H-Blu-O but not a kit.

Flew today at the Colt's Neck event, flew pretty well all in all, though with the significant wind directly into pilot's faces it had to be flown mostly wide open. Didn't want to run on the grass (which was thick enough that stock PZ Trojans were being hand launched) so we hand launched.

Either I did a better launch or the reflex in elevons did the job, that dip to the ground off the launch didn't happen, seemed to go pretty straight ahead. My buddy flew it a couple minutes wide open, said it flew fairly heavy and liked to make its turns with rudder involvement. I don't think he trimmed anything at all and I think he stayed on low rates throughout, I asked him he said the rates were about right.

She's earned some paint. Will await the core tests on ROG upcoming. If need be I'll go lmopar69 on it and add a beefier motor with same mounting pattern, add another layer to the floats and put slippery stuff on them.

But paint will help with orientation. Number of people thought it was a nice looking bird.
Jul 06, 2013, 10:04 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Not to worry, we are all trying to find the sweet spot int he design. Joel actually wanted them split and so I made the separate topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Was leery of crossposting too much, it is an H-Blu-O but not a kit.

Flew today at the Colt's Neck event, flew pretty well all in all, though with the significant wind directly into pilot's faces it had to be flown mostly wide open. Didn't want to run on the grass (which was thick enough that stock PZ Trojans were being hand launched) so we hand launched.

Either I did a better launch or the reflex in elevons did the job, that dip to the ground off the launch didn't happen, seemed to go pretty straight ahead. My buddy flew it a couple minutes wide open, said it flew fairly heavy and liked to make its turns with rudder involvement. I don't think he trimmed anything at all and I think he stayed on low rates throughout, I asked him he said the rates were about right.

She's earned some paint. Will await the core tests on ROG upcoming. If need be I'll go lmopar69 on it and add a beefier motor with same mounting pattern, add another layer to the floats and put slippery stuff on them.

But paint will help with orientation. Number of people thought it was a nice looking bird.
Jul 07, 2013, 08:32 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
My (pink foam) BluFO is headed out to the field this morning with me. Th weather is looking like it might cooperate, and I plan to take advantage of it!
Jul 07, 2013, 08:36 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
My (pink foam) BluFO is headed out to the field this morning with me. Th weather is looking like it might cooperate, and I plan to take advantage of it!
I cut some for Joel and kept one for myself and need to try building it. I really like the lines it shares with the H-Blu-O
Jul 16, 2013, 07:16 PM
Kit Manufacturer
I got as chance to fly mine tonight and I really like the shaped prop slot update. APC 7x5E prop and it flew out of my hand at about a 45 degree climb angle. I was trying to figure out a good way to self launch and all I did was hold the back of the main deck between the elevons and and gave it a push and it flew out straight and true. I like this plane a lot. yes, there will be a kit version

it needs some paint. The good news is Createx will work, doesn't need to be waterproof

Quick Reply