May 19, 2012, 02:07 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
New Product

Alan Cocconi Stability Augmentation System

Alan said he is almost ready for the official release of his new stability augmentation system. He also said systems are available now for those who are eager to get it in their plane and willing to make the pcb wiring harness themselves (Jason Lilly has been making his own and may be able to elaborate). I am excited to see the system get deployed and hope to have one installed very soon. I was able to get a few details from Alan:

Price is $300
Kit inlcludes airborne system and "speakerbox" for hitec A9 / A9X transmitters
Includes USB to serial adapter and custom pigtails to connect to both the system and the speakerbox
Requires Hitec 7 or 9 channel full-telemetry receivers for speakerbox / telemetry functions
Speakerbox /telemetry does work in a JR9303 radio with hitec module (this is my personal setup)
Pitot tubes not included, but are easy to make
Firmware is user upgradeable if/when Alan makes upgrades to the software
PCB mounted in machined delrin frame for easy mounting in plane
Functions include auto-gain gyro, altimeter, pitot speed, g-sensor, rx volts, temp and more.
Made in USA

Many top pilots have been helping Alan refine the system. It is now ready for primetime. Alan has 50 systems available immediately, and expects to have wiring harnesses shortly for those who can wait. He explained how easy it is to make the pitot tubes out of 1/8" brass tubing, and I may make mine ahead of time for fun (perhaps an enterprising individual will make a few sets for those who would rather not be bothered).

You do not "need" a hitec aurora 9 to use the system, but you will not be able to use the "femal voice" speakerbox feedback without it. Supposedly hitec's new radio coming out will use the same protocol as the A9 and thus the custom speakerbox will work with the new unit.

Recently, Alan cleared up the confusion regarding the gyro he uses. He has PCB mounted angular momentum sensors but none of the other "hardware" that is included with off-the-shelf gyros. Instead, he takes the input from the sensors and his custom firmware incorporates the information in its processing to determine the correct output. It is a custom blend of rate/hh with adjustment based on airspeed and g-force, and once everything is calibrated the user never has to worry about it again.

Flight data is recorded in the speakerbox so it is easy to connect to a computer for downloading later.

The system has been used successfully in everything from foamies to big-gun WR ships. Thank you again Alan, your hard work is about to pay off for a lot of people!

List of planes the system has been used in:

JW60 ( www.jwglider.com )
K2M / K100 / K130 ( www.dskinetic.com )
D80 ( www.alofthobbies.com )
Sunbird
Stormchaser
Last edited by Aerogance; Dec 16, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
Here is the video produced by Andrew (AVB) showing in greater detail what the system does:

Gyro assist and Stability Systems - "Way of the Future??" (20 min 1 sec)
May 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks,

The video adds a lot.

Pete
May 20, 2012, 08:06 AM
Dear Alan

wow, that is an interessting system. As I do flying planks I am very interessted :-)
That why I wanted to ask, if the system can handle a wing with 4 flaps, and all the flaps are used for elevator and ailerons at the same time.

Yours Peter Wick
May 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
Hi Peter,

Alan doesn't have a RCG acct so I'll chime in for what I know...

We have discussed the possibility of using the system on a plank. Seems there would be two or three big benefits.

First, it could allow us to get rid of most of the draggy reflex that is typically required for stability on planks since the system could tame the pitch oscillations of an unstable plank.

Second, it will really help with that maiden flight of a new plank when the CG isn't just right. A small error on this first flight seems to be the death of alot of planks!

The third big benefit is that it would really help out with pitch changes during flap / crow deployment. Finally, you could be able to slow a composite plank to reasonable landing speeds!

According to Alan, the only addition needed would be a tiny weathervane mounted in clean air on the vert stab so that the system would always know the exact pitch / AOA. His unit already has an input for this pitch vane so it should be fairly easy to implement. I hope to make a new plank ASAP to test this application and get back to you on how it works.

Spencer
Last edited by sll914; May 20, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
May 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
Dear Spencer

thanks for your answer. Letīs stay in contact about how the system can be adapted to planks. If there is a need for doing some experimental work....I will be lucky to join it.

Yours Peter

by the way..there is a small thread about my Amokka 2.0 F3F plane. Only i german.....

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...677-Amokka-2.0
May 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
launch low, fly high
One caution regarding using Alans system to provide artificial pitch stability. The phase lag that gets introduced into the system by the 1.5ms pwm for standard servos is likely to be enough to be a bit troublesome. Alan may want to add a modification to his system so that it outputs a pwm consistent with some of the gyro only servos that use a shorter pwm. This will reduce the phase lag enough to get a corner freq in the 15-20 Hz range. This may be good enough for a plank with the attendant high frequency pitch response.
May 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joe,
Alan has the system in his JW60 and it is rock solid in pitch (I have flown it). It has not flown much faster than 130mph though. Do you think the pitch concern would only be at high speeds? Alan is brilliant and has probably figured all this out already, but better to be safe than sorry.
May 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance
Joe,
Alan has the system in his JW60 and it is rock solid in pitch (I have flown it). It has not flown much faster than 130mph though. Do you think the pitch concern would only be at high speeds? Alan is brilliant and has probably figured all this out already, but better to be safe than sorry.
This issue will show up at higher speeds. If the plane is stable in pitch, it may not be as much of an issue. I was really addressing the ability for an autopilot to provide active feedback in pitch so as to allow controlled flight with an unstable cg. As the airspeed gets higher, the response required from the servo becomes faster. At some point, the phase lag that is introduced from the pwm tim lag will drive the pitch unstable.
May 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
Definitely agree with Joe on this issue. Alan has had the same concerns. The thought was to begin with a stable plank and gradually move the Cg back and dial out the reflex incrementally and see how it goes. I know Alan's JW is already flying with an aft enough CG that I probably couldn't make 3 clean laps in a row without the system turned on.. I'll mention the shorter pulse width to Alan and see if he can do that. Thanks for the advice Joe!
May 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
Stable genius
Yeah, the standard 50-70Hz PWM rate can be limiting on a highly responsive aircraft -- just as it is for helis. Standard digital servos have no objection to 140Hz data, as evidenced by Futaba's "HS mode", but this will kill analog servos so you'd need some ability to configure the code accordingly. You could likely drive most servos much faster than that but there may not be much need to.
May 22, 2012, 07:34 AM
Auzzie built planks
Great to see if it would work on a 4 servo plank. Watching with interest.

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
May 23, 2012, 05:32 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck
Great to see if it would work on a 4 servo plank. Watching with interest.

Tim
I second that , I'm looking for a system that will handle the 4 servos & only be turned on with crow on a plank for pitch compensation / stability

Rick
Jun 10, 2012, 02:57 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Been working on a 2 gyro set up for a plank

Well made some steps forward with the Gyro set up, I re watched AVB 's video & got the general Idea of what will happen , Ian has this set up on his D60 for roll, so I sort of just copied that for pitch

1. have been able to get an off position on my right slider middle de-tent, have mixed aux3 to rudder @ 15% both pos (HH)& neg( Rate) , some of my earlier problems where never using gyro's & not quite understanding how the settings work

2.then there was the big problem of the centreing of the elevators, this turned out to be easy , I have turned them OFF so they don't move opposite the flap , so I run the flaps down for brakes & the Gyro's in HH/Rate mode will move elevators to compensate the pitch change , this is like a conventional plane with tail but it all happens on the wing

well that's the theory anyway !

even though the Gyros are small it will be a pain in the butt to get them in the fuse on the CG or close to it, as this is the only place that they will fit side by side

Rick
Jun 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
608 km/h!
That sounds pretty clever Rick- nice work thinking it all through! Could you get away with just one gyro driving both flap surfaces to save room?

Quick Reply