back in the hobby - first post on the boards - need advice - RC Groups
May 17, 2012, 02:10 AM
Discussion

back in the hobby - first post on the boards - need advice

I've been ghosting the forums here for a few weeks & need some advice...
So, after a 16 year hiatus from the hobby, I got hooked into some youtube videos of the new foamie warbirds & it reignited the fire. After looking at how far the hobby (especially electric/foam detail) has come since I last flew RC & how cheap it was, I wanted back in.
I wasn't stupid enough to right away go buy a starmax or FMS warbird like I wanted to. I used to fly a nitro p51 until in a snaprole the wingspar failed at the root, but it's been 16 years since I augered that in & that was my last flight.
So I bought a harbor freight 3ch cub for a whopping $60 out the door. diahedral wings, underpowered 380 brushed motor & nimh battery.
I wasn't as bad as I thought I would be. After swapping out the battery for a 1000mah 7.4 lipo & a jst connector, I can fly it 8-9 minutes no problem. After a few bumps & chewed wingtips, I've gotten so I can grease landing (95% of the time anyway). I can also take it off from pavement no problem.
Aerobatics require a lot of altitude as the motor is waaaay underpowered, but I've gotten good at those again too.
Now, I need an intermidiate step to go to something more complex. I'm looking for a 5ch or 6ch medium to large, fairly stable & not too expensive suggestion. Maybe even just a kit so I can put my own stuff in there. I'd like something with flaps, & retracts would be nice too, but not necessary.
Thanks for all the help guys, this has already been a great forum to get me back in!
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2012, 02:21 AM
Gerry M
Made the same move a couple of years ago after an absence since 1975.

Started with an E-flite Apprentice, then moved to a Parkzone T-28, and now a Parkzone Extra 300.

Enjoyed the T-28 the best although no flaps or retracts - a nice step up from a high-wing basic 3 or 4 channel starter.
May 17, 2012, 07:50 AM
Winter Haven FL
Nothing flies like a stick, I would recommend a Mini Ultra Stick. Especially getting back in the hobby after a vacation. No retracts, but should handle everything else.
May 21, 2012, 02:02 PM
I Toast Planes
For flaps and retracts Parkzone offers a nice election on most of their warbirds. I currently Fly their P-47. Very well powered and fun to fly. Slightly tippy on low speeds
May 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
Mark Beltran
Just get something that'll fly right out of the box. IOW, a bind and fly and something small that you don't have to take apart. Parkzone and EFlite bind and fly planes have the least amount of issues.
May 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
I ended up getting a fms 800mm f6f hellcat - I've already chewed it up a bit, but at least I can keep it in the air. Once I get confident with this, I think I'll be ready for the big warbirds again.
May 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
If you do not mind building up ARF kit, there have been 1 meter ws GWS warbirds NPS kits available on market, ie. P-40, FW-190, AT-6 and the sports Formosa II. You have to buy 480 size 900 - 1000KV outrunner + prop 10 x 6 + ESC30A or 40A + 3S 2200mAh 20C lipo for powering any plane in this category. 480 size motor might be with the same output as 2 stroke .15 glow engine. You flew niro P-51 before, I'm sure that you are aware of the size and output of .15 engine. You might need bigger motor set up flying Formosa II.

Chen
May 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
Look out below

T28

Take a look at this forum https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1419147
Rtf or Arf retracts - flaps

Sale price: $99.00 http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8940-t28-grey-arf.html
May 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
Big Canoe Mountain Man
I am like you, last in the hobby 1989. Rejoined my old club and took a Hobbico P40 and Telstar out of mothballs along with a Telemaster 70 - all unbuilt ARFs. While I was building them up I converted the P40 to electric. None have flown as of date. I am playing with a Beechcraft Staggerwing foamy and a Advance 25e - both electrics none of which have been flown but ready to do so. . I am practicing getting my air legs back with a 3 channel park flyer trainer from Hobby Town. I flew three high wing foamies in the last two months and all crashed to smithereens so back to basics I have gone. Lots of good flying to you and welcome back from another Old Timer
May 24, 2012, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnowhere
Take a look at this forum https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1419147
Rtf or Arf retracts - flaps

Sale price: $99.00 http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8940-t28-grey-arf.html
That t-28 is the deal! Thanks.