This thread is privately moderated by CorvetteC5, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 15, 2012, 01:09 PM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Discussion

Multiplex Fox Glider 1-Cell RET RC

Here is my Multiplex Fox free flight glider now converted to powered flight. Bought the Fox at the AMA 75th anniversary open house in 2011 and completed the initial work by that December. Flying as a 1-cell rudder-elevator-throttle model.

Continue to tweak the model with the addition of dihedral in May 2012, and returning to a GWS-6050SF prop now cut down to 5" diameter. The plane likes the higher cruising speed this prop produces and the dihedral all but eliminated the dropping of one wing when stalling. Using a Hyperion 320mah LiPo my longest flight to date is 25 minutes with minimal thermalling. The Fox will loop easily with a little diving first when at half throttle, and will float nicely with the nose a bit down during dead stick landings.
  • Fuselage sliced into two halves using sharp knife. Hollowed using Dremel Tool with sanding stone. Tail hollowed out using sharpened brass tubing.
  • Motor and gearbox are the GPS-8 from Hobby King. Replaced the soft bushings with ball bearings from an Align helicopter. Added GWJ Universal prop saver from BSDMicroRC. Turning very smoothly.
  • UM Brick is the AR6400 mounted toward tail to counter weight of folding prop originally tried. Not happy with folding prop however brick location stayed.
  • Flying with a Hyperion 320mah LiPo placed about 1/4" behind the can of the 8.5mm motor. Glides a little nose heavy this way which I like to reduce likelihood of a stall on approach.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Sep 23, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2012, 01:44 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
very cool! That will definitely be a nice floater.

Mine is a 2 cell running on a 9 gram outrunner. Even at 90 grams that thing is still a floater and handles the wind with authority.
Jul 26, 2019, 04:56 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP

Flight Video!

A fresh flight video! Some backyard cruising in a rather confined space.

Multiplex Fox free flight glider now converted to 3CH RC Flight (4 min 14 sec)

Quick Reply