Charging Turnigy 9x with stock jack and LSD AA - RC Groups
May 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
That's a funny word
Discussion

Charging Turnigy 9x with stock jack and LSD AA

Can someone help me perhaps with what happens to the 9x when using the recharge port. I know I'm one of the few who use the larger LDS AA NIMH cells because of the crappy stock cell holder. My first TX went like this:

I used it almost all season last year and when I recharged the AA cells at 500 ma just about the time they were full the Hobbico elite errored out with high voltage. After that, the TX didn't work at all. I thought perhaps I ruined it or reversed polarity it , but found out it was just a connection with stock cell holder. That first TX I modded the stock cell holder and just used alkalines.

Now for the second TX , pretty much the same story: I used it all season this year and went to recharge with the Hiobbico Elite at 300 ma. Just about at the full mark it error out with high voltage then 0 volts. Same story, the TX wouldn't turn on. I remove batt holder and re-installed it and all it fine now with the second TX. I have modded the cell holder on this one too.

What happened to both these TX ? is there a diode perhaps that went "open" upon a full charge and subsequent voltage drop? and wouldn't reset until power was removed?

I use the same aa LSD cells in my 3rd TX and it is also soon ready for a recharge, I'm guess it will do the same thing.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
My OEM cell holder went into the trash bin on the first day. I am using the Sanyo Eneloop cells soldered end-to-end 2x2x2 and I always charge thru the charge port using an older Futaba walwart. 2000 mah and runs all day.
May 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
That's a funny word
I wonder what would happen if I used my elite charger on your TX. I know the holder is junk. It should act just like yours. I expect that if I used a walwart it would work fine.
May 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
I have used my iCharger with proper connector on my transmitter but have kept current low due to the smallish wires and connections. Be careful of polarity!
May 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
That's a funny word
Yea, I'm wondering if I'd just use 200 ma. At that point I might as well just charge it with a dumb charger overnite.

Quick Reply