May 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Thread OP
Discussion

GENERAL CHIT CHAT - advice, videos, cool stuff, new toys, reports, articles, ideas

yep so heres another thread, but hopefully it is useful, if not it will be an unharmful addition to the many of threads which will never make it back to the first page.

hopefully it will fill a void which i think was missing from the ds thread. if you have anything you dont think validates its own thread feel free to post it here.
Last edited by AussieJarred; May 09, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2012, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
cameras: hey joe its a Panasonic HDC-TM900. the most important thing in my opinion is having a good viewfinder. i found using andrews digital slr's viewfinder, which is an optical viewfinder, a lot easier than his camcorder which was digital, however, it was still quite easy when you zoom the same amount as the naked eye and sort of blend the two images together while opening both eyes. his has great video, and quick to record, fast focusing and awesome sound, but cannot go more than 60fps, which is an issue if you are looking to get slow mo (120fps or more).
May 09, 2012, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
my camera doesn't auto focus very fast and i think this would be very important for ds planes. so my recommendation would be andrew camera if you're looking for under $1000, but if you can get a camera that does high fps that would be cool too, ian, do you know how many pixels the camera you linked can film 240/120 fps with?

in the weldon 2012 video of mine, you can see with the slow motion the 2 variations. at 6:01, it is filming slow motion at 120 fps, which is a lot higher quality than the 240 fps (alex launching stobel, the d130 landing at 7:12 etc) i actually only found out that my camera could film at 120 instead of 240 fps at the end of the trip otherwise i would have been recording all the slow mo in 120, because of the improved quality.

Weldon 2012 (9 min 17 sec)
Last edited by AussieJarred; May 09, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
May 09, 2012, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
i should add that i really like the miniature feature of my camera which is all of the time-lapse stuff you see, just a simple 3 fps program in the camera itself.

almost all the video in the film i made from whistler is using that feature. (film below)

Whistler Timelapse (2 min 38 sec)
May 10, 2012, 01:38 AM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
This is worth watching:

whistle tips (2 min 42 sec)
May 10, 2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance
This is worth watching:
Why was that worth watching?
May 10, 2012, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJarred
my camera doesn't auto focus very fast and i think this would be very important for ds planes.
Unless you're using a big lensed DSLR, most consumer/prosumer video cameras will catch
everything from about 30 feet to infinity at their infinite focus setting which is enough
to catch any DS plane in the air. The only time I ever have any problem with focus is when
I forget to set that. I have programmed one of the custom modes on my SX30IS to always
use infinite focus.

Joe, yes I like CCD over CMOS for filming fast motion, but as you've found, beyond
the SX30IS which maxes out at 720p@30fps, there's nothing under $1000 that uses CCD
sensors for HD video. CMOS sensors are cheaper, and faster which gives faster shot to shot
stills, and some high frame rate slow motion modes, and is usually the only way to
get to 1080p. Going to be kinda hard to avoid CMOS going forward.

ian
May 10, 2012, 02:20 AM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slope4evr
Why was that worth watching?
They decoration man, just for decoration. The whistles go whooooooop!

Is that Spencer driving at 1:50???
May 10, 2012, 02:51 AM
I really enjoy watching your video's Jarred. Talented
May 10, 2012, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
Thanks kane, i got 3rd in a whistler film contest with that video!!
May 10, 2012, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Ian, i find with my camera that if i hit record sometimes it will start recording blurry and slowly adjust until it goes clear, but it is very slow, i focus it on something far away and as you say it should focus and it does
May 10, 2012, 05:09 AM
There is only DS
Hey Jarred,

That's first prize in my view.
I've got some video for you to edit when you get back home. It's. from 2011 DS Fest
May 10, 2012, 05:22 AM
There is only DS
Also what video editing software are you using mate?
May 10, 2012, 06:12 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Jarred,
You have just helped me with the ixus 115, I didn't realise you could video on the other setting !!

Rick
May 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
Stay in it!!!!
So the SX30IS has a CCD? I could find any confirming specs. Maybe I can buy a good used video camera on Ebay? I am interested in something nice. I think our DS community deserves so really good video quality. Maybe spend more money. Is it worth it to spend an extra 1K or should I just go for the SX30IS or similar. What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Panasonic-AG...id=p4340.l2644

If I bought a camera like that would I still need the new H2n and deadkitten? Or would I just use a deadcat on the onboard microphone?

Quick Reply