Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by nfcr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
Discussion

SAE RC Aero Micro Class Competition

Hi All,

Has anyone here competed in an SAE RC Aero Micro Class competition? I was looking for a good guideline for typical dimensions, designs, materials and weights of common SAE Micro planes.

I am doing a project for a university course which follows most of the guidelines for the SAE Micro Class competition, and I am looking at identifying common designs, the most successful designs, materials, sufficient weights, etc.

Part of my team's objectives is obtaining the highest payload fraction possible - any help you could provide (or any typical ranges) would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
May 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
Also, does anybody have any experience with designing landing systems for grass landings? I would imagine large, thin wheels would be preferable because they would be less susceptible to catch blades of grass and get tangled up, however I have seen designs with 2L pop bottles, foam pads (and other skid pad materials), etc... again, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
May 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Sorry I can't help much, but I did a few searches and found the -

http://students.sae.org/competitions/aerodesign/

and if you do a search on SAE Micro Aero in - http://www.youtube.com/ there appears to be quite a few SAE related videos.

One last check, scroll down this page, there is a 'Similar Threads' list, there may be a thread there that helps.

For grass take-offs and landings, larger diameter wheels are more important than how narrow, actually very narrow wheels could cause a problem, wider wheels will ride over the grass easier.

If you find a 'design spec' for the SAE RC Aero Micro Class, post a link, as knowing exactly what the requirements, limitations, are is needed to suggest any designs.
May 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
http://students.sae.org/competitions...ules/rules.pdf - as far as I know, these are the most up-to-date rules for Micro Class 2012 (pages 30-40).

Also, our motor and servo requirements have been specified:

TGY-D1290P High speed Micro Servo
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3542-800kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
H-KING 35A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 2S 3S Balance Charger. Direct 110/240v Input
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 4Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)

We're thinking about belly landing for the grass landing requirement as it will most likely cut down on our empty weight.

Thanks again.
May 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
That 3542-800kv is quite a big motor, I thought 'Micro' class would use a lot smaller motor. You could easily fly quite a big model with that. I have flown an 88" span vintage model on a similar sized motor.
Even the 2200mAh pack is quite a heavy weight for a 'Micro'.

The restriction of everything fitting in a case 24"x18"x8", will certainly restrict the design.

Belly landing is not a problem, a simple plastic strip would protect the fuselahe from most damage.